World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Good Steampunk RPG's? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you might do better posting this question at http://rpg.geekdo.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:
you might do better posting this question at http://rpg.geekdo.com/

True.

The best I've seen is Space: 1889 (Original edition). I like that the invention system works quite well. However, since social status is very much a part of the game, people can have problems with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aniquilación Emocional
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look to Victoriana 2nd Edition and Etherscope, both of them are receiving positive reviews.
Besides, you can freely download Lady Blackbird from http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/ which seems pretty interesting.
Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is hard to find and out of print, but the Iron Kingdoms RPG from Privateer Press was fantasy steampunk at its finest. It was D20 based and used the WoTC 3.5 rules. The core books (Vol 1 and 2)

TIE IN TO BGG.COM it was also the RPG version with ties to the tabletop miniatures game Warmachine.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it "acclaimed" (is it even published?)... however for a look at something a bit different in the SteamPunk genre, have a look at this series of columns of a game design in progress, over at rpg.net...

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/collists/design.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sapp
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Falkenstein has a loyal following. It is of course OOP and somewhat hard to find.
GURPS has steampunk, screampunk, and Castle Falkenstein sourcebooks.
I had a D&D 3e supplement called Steam and Sorcery.
Hollow Earth Expeditions is a pulpy game that could certainly be used for a steampunk game.

What are you looking for that would make a steampunk game for you? Are you looking for pseudovictorian setting material or are you looking for mechanical rules for invented devices and failures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
This is a good starting point. Sort by core rules or rating.

http://rpg.geekdo.com/rpggenre/166/steampunk

Here are some to check out:

Full Light, Full Steam
Space: 1889
Victoriana Core Rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Purser
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get the Iron Kingdoms books in pdf, I believe, which is an amazing setting. It is the setting for the tabletop wargames Warmachine and Hordes, actually.

Apart from that, we actually use the Mutants and Masterminds system. Replace everything super-hero-esque with steampunk equivalents, and you are set. That isn't hard to do either, as you are free to theme your powers any way you like in the first place. Blast can be a gout of fire you breathe, or a shot from your magically-empowered steam cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to RPGGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Purser
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. The good news is that they recently releases all the books in PDF. You should be able to find them at DriveThru RPG... I think. as for hardcopy, I've seen some going for $100+. They are hot commodities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
One good method to find good steampunk RPGs is to visit the genre Steampunk. In the list of linked items, try setting Sort to "Rank" and Category to "Core Rules". This will then return you a list of the main RPG rulebooks listed as Steampunk in the database, in the order of their RPGG rank (which is an adjusted average of users' ratings for the item, for items that have been given ratings by at least five users).

Currently only two steampunk core rulebooks have achieved a rank, but as the RPG Geek Ranking Project progresses this should increase. In the meantime you can try sorting by "Average Rating" instead, but be aware of the number of ratings for the items (a single high rating from one user can skew the results).

(I see that sbszine gave the same advice above. I'm just expanding with some further helpful instructions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only Steampunk game I own is OGL Steampunk. It's Marmite D20 (love it or hate it) but looks solid. Though I've never actually played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Enckler
msg tools
If you stumble across Castle Falkenstein or Space 1889 you should definitely check them out. Falkenstein is a fav of mine, it has a lot of atmosphere, subplot, progressive but awkward rules and a notoriously bad book binding. Space 1889 is good, but not imo excellent. Also, it has very sparse atmospherical parts.

I want to promote Forgotten Futures, which is all over the internet by now. A proper shareware RPG it's been in circulation since mid 90s, and thus has a lot of extra supplements for it.

Among the more commercially successful RPG's that could be considered steampunk is Deadlands, which seems to have qualities, but also limitations, which is why I never honestly looked much into it.

Another forgotten game is the classic Chill!, which also suffers slightly from excess subplot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot depends on if one wants sci-fi style Steampunk or Fantasy Style...

Falkenstein has magic, dragons, elves, dwarves, etc.

Eberron is wickedly fantastic D&D steampunk.

Space 1889 is almost purely tech... not even psionics!

GURPS Steampunk also is pretty sci-fi style... but being GURPS, can have the fantasy elements added easily.

Gear Krieg is also sci-fi style steampunk mecha anime style. Serious genre mashup: mecha steampunk WWII.

Lady Blackbird is right in the middle; physically highly improbable setting, but no paranormal stuff in evidence (heck, almost no system in evidence...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been looking at various setting-less generic systems/toolkits over the last few weeks. From what I have read, It seems like the D6 systems would be excellent for a steampunk genera. The exploding dice mechanic would give a chance for just about anything happening.

Has anyone done a D6 steampunk? Sounds like a neat thing to work on if no one has...

MB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbtigger wrote:
Has anyone done a D6 steampunk? Sounds like a neat thing to work on if no one has...

If you mean a system that only uses D6s, Space 1889 does so. If you mean West End's D6 system--unsure.

aramis wrote:
Space 1889 is almost purely tech...

I have to agree with this, though it is a Burroughs-like future with native populations on Venus, Mars, and the Moon. It might also be noted it's a pretty bright, optimistic, Victorian universe, not the dingy, corrupt, industrial revolution of The Difference Engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

If you mean a system that only uses D6s, Space 1889 does so. If you mean West End's D6 system--unsure.

I've been looking over the West End D6 system, so that is specifically what I was thinking of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steam Girl
msg tools
Check out http://www.sfvictory.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lantern314 wrote:
Castle Falkenstein has a loyal following. It is of course OOP and somewhat hard to find.

That's an understatement. It's somewhat hard to find a torrent of it. It's almost impossible to find a physical copy. I haven't even seen one at a ridiculously inflated price yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steamgrl wrote:

You might want to wander into The Tavern and ask for some assistance getting Steamfortress Victory into the database. Unfortunately, building an entry in the DB is only slightly less complex than building a difference engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I checked (5 min ago), the legal PDF of Castle Falkenstein is $16 at DTRPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
I personally am very interested in giving Wolsung: Magia Wieku Pary a try, it's one of the most played games in scandinavie and they also started to translate it to english. They have a couple of documents only, quickstart guides and a little setting book that you can get for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbtigger wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

I've been looking over the West End D6 system, so that is specifically what I was thinking of.

Unfortunately the system used by GDW wasn't particularly suited to Space 1889. At least one of the module designers used Call Of Cthulhu to run his games and then converted to the GDW system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
Are there any relatively acclaimed Steampunk RPG's out there? I have been considaring the World of Darkness/Shadowrun stuff, but my preference is for a SP setting.

Amid all the good suggestions, just wanted to mention that there's nothing wrong with using Shadowrun, if that's what you've had your eye on, and spending half an hour steampunkifying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
mbtigger wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Unfortunately the system used by GDW wasn't particularly suited to Space 1889. At least one of the module designers used Call Of Cthulhu to run his games and then converted to the GDW system.

The system works just fine for the setting. The research rules are sweet. The problem is 3 explicit skill use resolution methods (1d6 vs skill, skill d6's totaled vs a target number, and skill d6's as a count successes pool) in the rules, and inconsistent application. The rules strongly reinforce certain setting elements, but the mechanics are a bit cumbersome for those who want a single unified mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.