Subject: Hook, Line and Sinker. Adventure Ideas. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some HL&S stuff I have developed and collected over the years. Feel free to add, please.

Adventures in Dragon-sitting HL&S

Hook: The players are traveling through the wilderness when they come across a small town. The town is in a uproar about a giant lizard that has been scaring the local game.

Line: They offer the players a small reward to deal with this lizard. They offer more but they are a very poor town. The amount should be no more then 50 gp per player.

Sinker: It shouldn't be to hard for the players to find the lizard. The catch being it's not a lizard but instead a very young Dragon. It's only a few weeks old and was just having fun chasing the animals. It had no idea of the harm it was causing. To make things worse for the players the Dragon takes an immediate liking to one of the players and follows that player everywhere. What happens now is up to the players but they now have a very young Dragon who will follow them and knows nothing about the world (GM have fun with that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you do me a favor? HL&S

Hook: The players are traveling through the _____________ region of ____________________. The players are contacted by a wealthy merchant who needs some help.

Line: He has had an important caravan of cargo hijacked by a rival merchant and he needs the players to steal it back for him. This is very important to him and he will offer the players 5,000 gp (or GM's appropriate reward) each to do it. Though one thing they must not look at the cargo. The cargo is of a private nature and wishes it to remain that way.

Sinker: The caravan should be well guarded but not to the point where the players can capture it but make them work for it. It turns out the merchant was lying and this is not his caravan and he just duped the players into stealing it for him. What the cargo is up to the GM but it should be something of great value (money) or something to test the morals of the players (slaves). It's now up to the players to decide what to do with the caravan and the merchant who tricked them. Note the rightful owners should also be after the players and in a rather bad mood about the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a simple cargo delivery HL&S

Hook: While the players are in ______________________ for one reason or another they are offered a job by a member of the government.

Line: The job is to take a small box to ___________ in _______________________. The nature of the cargo is to sensitive to send through normal channels. The box will be heavily warded to prevent the players from snooping.

Sinker: The contents of the box is papers outlining the first steps in a formal alliance between _______________ and __________________. The players could face problems delivering the box from bandits who assume it must be worth a fortune. Also any of the other agents against its delivery may get word of it through their spies and try to intercept it for their own purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herb Hunt HL&S

Hook: The players come across a small village that has been struck by a plague. Already the older and sicker members of the village have died and more will die soon.

Line: The real tough part is the village healer knows how to cure the plague but is to weak to go and gather the Herb's that she needs. She will beg the players to go and get the Herb's for her. If the players agree she will describe what the herb looks like and some nearby areas that may have some.

Sinker: The nearest place where the herb grows is two days away from the village. The problem is the area has a large ______________ population and they are not to keen to trespassers on their land. They will at lest make the whole visit very rough on the players and it will go downhill from there if the players react violently to them. The players also only have five days to get the Herb's before the next group of villagers start to die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is for space adventure.

It's a bad day to be curious when your the cat HL&S

Hook: The players are traveling in deep space when they come across a derelict space ship. The ship looks like it has been drifting for some time.

Line: The players will probably want to board it. They will be able to open/force open an airlock with minor difficulties. Initial checking will show that the ship left port without a crew. Further checking will show the ship has been adrift for over 200 years. A check of the cargo holds will turn up the major surprise. The cargo area is full of stasis pods and they are all occupied.

If they wake up some of the people in stasis they will be told they are lost colonist and will ask the players for help in getting back home.

Sinker: They are not lost colonist but instead a group of people who had an incurable deadly plague. Their people could not cure them but did not want to see them die. The sick were rounded up and forced to enter stasis and then placed on a ship that was to be put in a far orbit around their system. If a cure was found the ship was to be brought back.

Something went wrong and the ship drifted off into deep space. If the players do take them home they run the risk of spreading a plague. It's up to the GM if the players should get the plague or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Night of Dark Knives HL&S

Hook: This adventure can be set in any major city. When the players arrive in town they hear about a major clean up of the local crime problem.

Line: The local noble is tired of the out of control crime wave that has gripped the city. There has already been major progress from raids against the local thieves' guild. Also the presence of police has increased. The players may be able to get a job helping since extra hands will be hired for the crackdown.

Sinker: The problem the local head of the thieves' guild is not taking to kindly to the pressure. He has reached his breaking point. An agreement was made with the assassins guild to put an end to the noble and other members of the upper government. The plan also calls for the elimination of the nobles family. It will be done in one night to keep any from escaping.

This plan has big risks since it will draw a lot of outside attention and because of this some are nervous about it. They might let the plan slip to keep it from happening. If the players can stop it they will reap large rewards and gain a strong ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Night on the Slopes HL&S

Hook: This victim game takes the players to the ski slopes or any mountain area with a large 2 story inn with a sub-floor for any RPG. It will work with characters of all ages. All the players should have a reason to be there. This can range from guests to employees. (Good way to start a campaign if PCs do not know each other.)

Line: It should have been a good season for snow with a large snow pact. At night get all the players into the lodge and relaxing. Sometime during the night an avalanche will happen and bury the lodge. It shouldn't destroy the lodge just bury it. Use whatever reason you want for the avalanche. Try to get a tense setting. The players should be wondering if they should leave or stay. The staff will be more inclined to stay since the building is stable and it's a long hike out that could result in guests getting lost on the way.

Sinker: An hour or so after the avalanche the main power will fail for modern RPG. When they look to check on it, they will find the main power box destroyed. For other RPGs, find all the food stores, water and casks of wine/ale in basement destroyed only enough for a day or two left. In either case panic could ensue. If someone is sent alone to check that the next person will find their dead body. The problem is someone has went off the deep end from the stress and is out to kill everyone else. Since the lodge is a two story with full size cellar one so the killer could move around without being seen. The players now got to decide if they should stay with the killer or brave the outside.

Note: Number of and races of guests and employees is up to GM. This one is geared more toward a modern day one with little or no magic. If you want to use for other could make the Inn in a No Magic Zone or enchanted as such with strong anti-magic wards. Also, could have all PCs and NPCs required to check all weapons and armor at the door and that room is cut off by the avalanche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
This would make a great geek-list, and might get more responses and people adding to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the book(s) where Kevin defines Hook, Line, and Sinker? Could you give his definition? I know the gist of it but I just wanted to keep his definition on file. I remember he defined them in 2 of the RIFTS book but I don't have it with me (I left it at home when I moved).

These look nice by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool ideas! I like the baby dragon one; the ravenous monster joins your party... hilarity ensues!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Was about to start a thread for this purpose, but if it already exists...

Mail Call (from a game I just ran, which in turn, was inspired by the Philip K Dick story Paycheck)

Hook: The party receives an unmarked package full of completely random items (paperclips, $23.57, a 3 of spades).

Line: The seemingly random items end up coming in handy as they investigate whatever it is they're looking into (paperclip gives them tools they need to pick a lock, just enough money for a cab to get them to where they need to be, a card that just happens to be one the terrible street magician--an important, but reclusive witness--is thinking of, etc).

Sinker: The envelops are being sent by a future version of themselves trying to steer them toward something, but what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Simonsen
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
designer
[Your Ad Here]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun. I'll try one too.

Hook, Line and Sinker HL&S:

Hook: The PCs are captured by a group of Giants.

Line: They discover they are to be used as bait for the Giants' fishing trip. Escape is impossible and soon they are tied to giant hooks and thrown in the water.

Sinker: How will the PCs survive under water? Can they even breath and how to move when tied to hooks? And what giant sea creatures are they used as bait for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sachan
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been developing a web app for generating random, user contributed, Hooks, Encounters, and Flavor Text. I've contributed about 100 items myself, and am trying to find other contributors to bulk up the database before going 'live' with the site. I'd love for anyone in this thread to include their stuff on my site. http://rpgflairgenerator.gnomemullet.com.

It's still a beta, so there may be a bug or two.

Also, I would REALLY like to get a publisher that has created this kind of stuff to contribute some of their work in exchange for a credit line and link back to their store. If anybody has any contacts in that area, let me know.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sachan
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The contest is over and the winner is Fatouzocat, who has made many contributions to the site. Thanks!

I've also made some updates to the site, including putting the generator on the main page, and adding Mini Quests and a search ALL systems option.

You can now go directly to www.gnomemullet.com for the generator. Also consider a LINK EXCHANGE if you have a website or blog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Company makes for a bad day. "AArrrr, Matey."

Hook: The players are on a ship traveling when a large storm strikes. The ship rides out the storm but takes heavy damage. The captain moors the ship in a small cove and sends some of the crew inland to start cutting tress down for the repairs.

Line: Not much farther down the coast line (about 2 miles out of site due to terrain) a pirate ship has moored for the same reason. With the crews so close together they are bound to bump into each other.

Sinker: What happens know will depend on how the players and pirates react to each other. The pirates may have slaves the players want to free or treasure they want to steal. The pirates will have about the same reasons to want to go after the players except they will want to make the players slaves and steal any treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troubled Waters

Hook: The players while traveling by sea have to set into a small port town. This can by anything from repairing damage to the ship to picking up some supplies.

Line: It's a small town but it has what the players need. The players should also notice that the people of the town are very nervous and keep giving the players sadden looks when they are not looking.

Sinker: The trouble with the town is a powerful Water Warlock who moved into the area. He decided it would make a great racquet to make everyone sailing out of the port pay him to leave. If they don't pay he will turn his magic on them and sink their ship. Some checking should get the players this info but if not the Warlock will contact them before they leave. It's up to the players if they pay but if they don't they will have a fight on their hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the going gets tough go by land

Hook: Because of all the problems with pirates lately some merchants have started shipping small but valuable cargo over land.

Line: The players are approached to work as guards by a merchant. A trip from _______________ to __________________. Normally this would be a short voyage by sea but will be a long trip on land. Any cities can be used but it should be one with a short sea route between them and a long land route.

Sinker: It should take several weeks for the trip. The players should face attacks by bandits and monsters along the way. Depending on the cargo all sorts of people could be interested in relieving the players of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaysac_Sagemind wrote:
The contest is over and the winner is Fatouzocat, who has made many contributions to the site. Thanks!

I've also made some updates to the site, including putting the generator on the main page, and adding Mini Quests and a search ALL systems option.

You can now go directly to www.gnomemullet.com for the generator. Also consider a LINK EXCHANGE if you have a website or blog.

This is a great tool! I checked it out today and wow is it amazing. I hope you are still working on it as the updates seem to have stopped.

Just wanted to let you know that it is being used and hope you can keep it up and running!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.