Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Doctor Who Roleplaying Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Terror of the Delph - Part 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb

Terror of the Delph

Part 1 - http://rpg.geekdo.com/thread/501699/terror-of-the-delph-part...

Player Characters
Holmes - Time Lord who escaped the Time War
Dorian Craze - Victorian Soldier working for the Torchwood Institute
Trixx - a Vinvocci tech working for the Torchwood Institute

NPC's
Captain Wainwright
Sgt. Shaw

It’s been over a month since our last game so a re-cap is in order;

The TARDIS has landed in the back yard of a terraced house in the small English town of Brierley Hill in the year 1910. The PCs investigate mysterious deaths at the Delph Road Colliery and also discover a wrecked barge on the canal, destroyed by an advanced heat weapon. The PCs also talk with a terrified miner who claims to have seen a Triceratops in the mine! The PCs return the Mount Pleasant School, which is being used by the military as a base, and Captain Wainwright has just received a call saying there has been another death at the nearby Dudley Wood Colliery.

Part 2
The army van pulls up at Dudley Wood, the PCs, Captain Wainwright, Sgt. Shaw and two soldiers get out and are met by the Foreman. He takes them to the body laid out in a small room next to his office. The dead man has severe burns to his chest, though no visible markings to his clothes. His face is that or terror!

Holmes questions some of the miners who found him but they saw nothing, so the group kit themselves up and investigate the mine. Captain Wainwright tells Sgt. Shaw to take the body back to the school.

The mine is dark and foreboding with their only light from their small helmet lamps. At one point Trixx & Dorian are startled, but that was just Holmes tripping over. Dorian looks about and sees movement, and heavy breathing can be heard. Turning a corner a humanoid reptilian can be seen, a SILURIAN. Holmes recognises the race as the original inhabitants of Earth, Trixx is unfazed but Dorian has to resist his feeling to run. The Silurian is injured and frightened, more than the PCs.

"Why did you kill that miner?" demands Holmes.
"I... did not," says the Silurian weakly. "He attacked me. He took my weapon and injured himself with it."
Holmes could clearly see now the wound in the Silurians side caused by the miners pick. Holmes tries to stop the bleeding.
"I am Holmes, we can help you."
"I am Soleen," replies the Silurian. "The name Holmes. That is the name of legend amongst my people. Centuries ago a traveller named Holmes created peace between my race and the humans. My Sect has lived in harmony and secret since then."
"I don't recall that. But it might not have happened yet," says Holmes.
"Then why are you here?" Trixx enquires of Soleen.
"The humans have disturbed another Sect of my people, but these are our warriors. They will not make peace with the humans. When we detected their awakening I was sent to try and deactivate their resuscitation units. I came to this mine as I thought there could be a way into their base, there is not. The only way is through the Delph mine."
"Well, seems simple enough what we have to do," says Holmes.
"But you also need to get the tracking device back the human took from me. If activated it could summon the DELPH!"
"What’s a Delph?" asks Dorian.
"A genetically engineered nearly indestructible monster."
"Oh. Great." Say the group together.

The PCs head back out of the mine carrying the wounded Soleen. They ask Capt. Wainwright where the body is, he tells them back at the school. Warning him of the danger Wainwright telephones the school but gets no answer. Holmes rants at humans messing with things they should leave alone.
"We need to get there. Where’s the truck?" asks Holmes.
"At the school, taking the body." Says Wainwright.
Not wanting to wait the PCs decide the sprint the mile and half to the school.

The doors of Mount Pleasant School have been ripped from their hinges. In the school hall they find the body of the dead miner along with two dead soldiers. Sgt Shaw is under a broken table severely injured but alive. Trixx phones for an ambulance.
They search the room and Dorian finds the device. He picks it up and it starts glowing.
"What was I saying about you stupid apes messing!" says Holmes. "Give it to me."
As Holmes tries to deactivate the device a monstrous creature crashes through the wall. Trixx & Dorian freeze in fear as it bears down on Holmes. The creature has the general appearance of a Silurian with brown scales, but it is nine feet tall, incredibly muscled, has a long thick tail and it’s left arm has been replaced by a huge bone blade. The creature is about to skewer Holmes as he deactivates the device (he needed a Story Point for that) and is able to send the creature away.

The horse & cart ambulance takes Sgt. Shaw away and the PCs decide to follow the Delph. They track it back to the lock near the Delph Road Colliery, it has obviously entered the water. After discussing for several minutes how they are going to go into the water they remember that Soleen told them the entrance must be through the mine. Still kitted out they go and see the foreman and convince him to close the mine for today while they investigate.

The adventure ends as the heroes decent into the Delph Mine...

A sketch of what the Delph could look like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
enjoyed reading this, I'm curious for the rest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have a choice.

#1 Finish off this adventure next week. The big break we had has kind of took the flow out of this adventure, plus my next planned adventure is something the players are looking forward to, Daleks.

#2 Play it out like a Jon Pertwee story; stretch it out by adding lots of detail to the Silurian base and having the Silurian Warriors marching out of the mine for a big battle with the military.

I'll ask the players for their preference before I carry it on next week, but I'm glad you're enjoying it, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Knew it was the Silurians (or Eocenes as they were retconned)! I hope you had a copy of the spooky music from the Pertwee episode - crazy xylophone and electronic kazoo! Your Delph looks a bit scarier than the three-fingered Allosaur of the TV programme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm trying to keep the monsters I use within the scope of Doctor Who I do want to add some twists here and there to keep the players on their toes. So they may have known what to expect with the Silirians but they were not expecting the Delph monster.

I found it amusing that the players actually questioned the naming of the Delph. Delph Road of the story is where I live and I have done some historical research for this adventure for the area in 1910, eg. the military using the cover story of a diphtheria outbreak when they take over the school, there was such an outbreak in 1910 at Mount Pleasant School. All the Collieries of my story actually existed and the army had recently introduced petrol vans in 1910. So when I said in my story that Delph Road was named after a legendary creature that lived in the canal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.