Player's Handbook (D&D 3e)
DCC #051: Castle Whiterock
Clash of the Princes
A Spy in Isengard
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e Revised)
Fiasco
Heart of Ice
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Dwarven Vengeance
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Adventures in the Borderland Provinces (Swords & Wizardry)
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Wilderland Adventures
Bree
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The journal of Grim Battleaxe #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Player notes: I've been playing in my first WRFP 3rd Ed. adventure. I apologise in advance because I'm useless at remembering names when I'm a Player and I didn't write any down.

SPOILER: I think this may be one of the published adventures too, so anyone planning on playing in any of those better stop reading just in case.

The journal of Grim Battleaxe.
I hope one day this journal will be read by the elders and that my sins can be forgiven. Until then I will fight and hope that following my death my friends complete my story. I'm Grim Battlaxe. And I am a Troll Slayer. Where my dishonour lies is not important right now, I'm here to fight the forces of Chaos or die in the process.

My associates are also both Dwarfs, a Coachman and an Ironbreaker, I will not give their names so they do not share my dishonour. Our adventure starts in an Inn, where else. We are approached by a posh lackey. He reads off some cover story about his master wanting some hired help, general labour and that sort of thing, but in reality he wants us to act as protectors against Chaos Beastmen in the area around the Lords Manor House. We accept, failing to negotiate a better price, and set off on the days travel to the Lords house.

We travel by coach, and I spend much of the dreary wet journey asleep. I hear my companions mutter about movements in the woods outside. What do I care. If they come I will slay them. They would do better hiding themselves in the dark than wake me from my slumber.

We approach the gates of a small holding on the road, but something is afoot. Chaos Beastmen, foul creatures with monstrous heads are attacking. My associates jump into the fray before me. The Coachman unleashing a blast from his blunderbuss taking down a couple of the beasts, and the Ironbreaker meets their charge, as do I. I unleash my fury on these bastards burying my trusty battleaxe into their heads. They are fierce beasties, but I don't have time to bleed. As the battle ends I am covered in the blood of myself and the Chaos creatures. The gates open and we enter safely.

The next day my wounds have all but healed, all but a nasty gouge in my side from one of those beasts. The coachman and myself finish our journey to the Lords House where are given our duties and told of the Beastmen in the woods beyond the house courtyard walls. The Ironbreaker had to take his leave.

We are offered food and go in search of ale to go with it. Our search takes us to the cellar and where we find a cask of the finest Dwarf brew, and more. As we look to a place to stash the barrel, so no others would drink it, we find a secret door behind the wine rack. We follow the passage into a large foreboding room. Candles flicker in distorted holders. A bookcase holds a collection of the most foul Chaotic books and in the centre of the room is a black stone slab. A shrine to the cults of Chaos! Well I'm not having that. I raise my axe high above my head and bring it crashing down on the stone slab, but with no effect, not even a scratch. Damn them! Well we may not be able to destroy their shrine but we can cause them hurt. We burn all but one of the books, keeping one as evidence to show the Lord.

Two more doors lead out of the shrine. We explore them both, still carrying the cask of ale. The one passage opens up into the Library, the other into the Lords own bed chamber through a secret door. Though we do not believe the Lord has any involvement in this.

Our explorations about the house lead to suspicions about some of the staff, though we currently have no evidence. As evening approaches we are called for dinner, but find a note saying "the goose is good." An ominous clue. As we all sit about we make note of who eats what. I have the Goose, the coachman has everything, stupid git. One by one those who do not eat the goose fall sick including the Lord and my mate - he rushes outside to throw up, but we are Dwarfs, nothing a tankard or two of ale cannot fix.

With half the house now unconscious we continue our investigation where we find a blind nurse helping a crazed Dwarf. In his madness he asks we return his weapon, the Warhammer Korden, back to his family. We agree.

We return to the cellar where we are now met by several Chaos Cultists, and I don't think they're too happy about us burning their book, he, he. They raise weapons against us, and their leader flees towards the cellar. I don't even break a sweat with these lost souls as I put them down and send them to meet their Chaos gods. We give chase and kill their leader too, but we know there are other still in the house.

The cook flees but I corner the gardener, and I can smell his fear. I take him back to the dining room where he blabs. The only other cultist is the doctor, I never liked the look of him, so the coachman goes to fetch him. Oh, he's good. It takes a lot of persuasion to finally get him to reveal his own involvement in the Chaos events. Then in a flash the doctor draws a sword and.. and well nothing really. My mate the coachman blasts him where he stands with his blunderbuss. I didn't even get out of my chair.

The next day the Lord thanks us and gives us our pay. We hang around for another couple of days until new help arrives. but we have a new quest now, and a trip to the Dwarf city to return Korden.

Player notes: I really enjoyed this little adventure and despite my continued objection to the cost and fiddly bits and pieces I do enjoy the rules system very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great report! About the names, I think you misunderstood the name of the warhammer, it's actually Korden's hammer (Korden is the sick dwarf). But maybe your GM changed things.

My stupid veteran soldier didn't get the goose hint either (there should be a micro badge for that). Anyway, looks like you managed to foil the cultists in time devil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Korden's Hammer, that's it. I remember having a moment imagining the Dwarf to look like James Corden (he's a british comedy TV writer & actor for those that don't know) I am a fan of James Corden, but that was just weird LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool write-up. Please post more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would, but I really struggle to remember all the ins and outs when I'm not GM (I need my notes).

We played the start of The Gathering Storm this week. TPK! cry
It was very early on in the adventure too. We made a tactical mistake in not letting Troll Slayer Grim act first in favour of giving the Coachman a shot with his Blunderbus. The the GM was rolling like he was Chaos possessed. We'll find out if we have survived next week. And if we have Grim will be VERY upset that the gods have found him unworthy of death. He'll just have to go find some bigger more dangerous foe to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.