4th Edition Core Rulebook Collection
Lace & Steel
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Fading Suns (Revised Second Edition)
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
Flynn's Guide to Alien Creation
Microscope
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Player's Handbook (HackMaster 5th Edition)
Dungeons: A Solo Adventure Game
Wrath of the Autarch
Metamorphosis Alpha Deluxe Collector's Edition
Cepheus Engine System Reference Document
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide
Rockalypse
SOLO: Solo RPG Campaigns for the Cepheus Engine
Barbarian Conquerors of Kanahu
Rise of the Dungeon Master: Gary Gygax and the Creation of D&D
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
Toxicity
Schemes of the Autarch
Monsterhearts 2
The Synod of Worms, 1076
Book of Exalted Darkness: Killing the Golden Twins
Player's Handbook (D&D 4e)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Paranoia (Mongoose Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Me and my Shadow Mark IV - Part 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not exactly breaking the laws of time, but I am bending them a little.
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally, after many years of waiting, many months of planning, many players crying and begging me not to, I get to run PARANOIA!

The evening started well, the COMPUTER said so.
At the instruction of the COMPUTER the Players generated characters and assigned skills. While character creation is pretty simple and straight forward the Rulebook does tend to make it a bit of an Initiative test with it’s layout. We hail the COMPUTER for testing us in this manner, all hail the COMPUTER.

As High Programmer, err... GM, I took it upon myself to assign treasonous Secret Societies and Mutant Powers as I see fit. This way is quicker, makes life easier for the GM, less stress through page-flicking of my beloved rulebook and most importantly more fun for me to give Players opposing societies and troublesome powers. Did I forget to tell the players how their Powers work, ah, no, they don’t have clearance for that information yet. But how can they possibly have clearance for a Treasonous ability you may ask? Such questions are Treason. You’re not asking. That’s alright then.

I present the Troubleshooters - Red Clearance
REG-R-NLD-1
JOB-R-BOY-1
SEYMOU-R-BTZ-1

I’ll keep the secret stuff secret for now in case any of the Players attempt to treasonously look at this article.

GM Note: I made a bit of a GM mistake - I left the adventure book at home blush
Still, I did what any good, self-respecting GM would do, make it up. whistle

Me and my Shadow Mark IV

The group awakes, aware that this will be their first day as Troubleshooters serving their beloved COMPUTER. Their clean red uniforms had arrived on time. Ready for their first instructions they stand before the modest computer screen in the domicile. The screen flickers and the familiar EYE of the COMPUTER appears.
"Good morning Troubleshooters," says the COMPUTER, sounding like a doting mother, "It is now 08:30. Now run along to Alpha Block 117, R&D Sector 12 to receive your first assignment. You mission briefing is at 09:00 sharp." The Troubleshooters thank the COMPUTER for their assignment then quickly head to the nearest Tube Station.

There is a big crowd at the Tube Station, and the crowd is getting angry. There is a man at the front shouting something but the group don’t know exactly what. They try to push forward but only JOB-R-BOY-1 can push close enough to hear the Orange ranked Station Master saying that the station is closed and Tech are on their way. A Yellow Ranked Exec is demanding the Station be opened right now! JOB-R-BOY-1 decides leaving this argument alone. He finds a Red Clearance terminal and finds the location of the next nearest station, the group make their way on foot.

The Tube is on time, they always are (when they are not exploding or doing something treasonous). The Troubleshooters are keeping their schedule. A message is then announced, "Dear passengers, due to an unforeseen Priority this Tube is being diverted to Beta Sector. This delay should be for no more than two hours. The COMPUTER thanks you for your cooperation, have a nice day."

SEYMOU-R-BTZ-1 decides to go check the nearby terminal, without the other two noticing. He returns smugly to his seat as another message is heard, "Dear citizens, the COMPUTER would like to inform all passengers that this Tube is now on it’s original schedule to Alpha Sector. Have a nice day."

One stop to go and the Tube is stuck in the station. It’s late departing by a full minute. This isn’t good. Could be trouble. The Troubleshooters decide to make the last bit of their journey on foot. As they leave the Tube they see Internal Security dragging away the Tube driver who is screaming, "It wasn’t me, it wasn’t me!"

Alpha 117, R&D Sector 12. This is a huge building, but the reception-bot is friendly and remarkably efficient directing the Troubleshooters to floor 117, Room 17. Ah, but the Red Clearance elevator seems to be stuck on Floor 500. *ping* the doors to an empty Green Clearance elevator open. Dilemma. Red Clearance stairs? 5 minutes to climb 116 floors? One by one the Troubleshooters jump into the Green lift and quickly press Floor 116. The music hums and the lift zips up to Floor 116. The doors don’t open. One of the Troubleshooters presses the door open button to be met by, "I’m sorry, you do not have Security clearance to open these doors. Have a nice day." SEYMOU-R-BTZ-1 distracts his colleagues and tries the controls himself, which then surprisingly open for him. The group head to Room 17 just in the nick of time.

The Yellow Clearance supervisor is faffing about at his terminal. The group introduce themselves. "You’re late. You were meant to be here at 08:00." The group try to explain they were only given their instructions at 08:30, but he won’t listen. He tells them to go through to their Health & Safety seminar. They proceed into the next room, sit down quietly at the back just as the lecturer announces that is all, "proceed to your assignments." Twelve other Troubleshooters in groups of three exit via the far door, so the group follow. The other Troubleshooters all break away into different rooms so the group take a room at random.

Inside this R&D room is a Indigo Clearance nutty professor, the mad white hair and everything. "Ah at last the COMPUTER has sent me some guinea pi... volunteers to test my inventions." The group nod. "So which of you is the expert in nuclear science?"
"I’m bio sciences," says REG-R-NLD-1
"I’m bio sciences," says JOB-R-BOY-1
"Ah, it must be you then," says the professor looking at SEYMOU-R-BTZ-1 (who is swearing under his breath while the other two players are laughing).

SEYMOU-R-BTZ-1 is shown the professors latest weapon of mass... something. Imagine a proton pack from Ghostbusters, that’s pretty much what it is. Reluctantly SEYMOU-R-BTZ-1 straps it on and the group is sent blindly on their way where they bump into the Yellow Clearance supervisor.
"Are you still here?" says Yellow before pointing out where they should be. The group notice him look at his notes and mutter, "Guard duty," before sniggering and walking away.

To be continued... (or started even!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! They made it all the way to briefing without someone using a clone? Hmmm... must include more mishaps in the next session. ^_^

Oh, and the GM is never wrong, remember those words. You did not forget to the adventure book, you decided to make things interesting for the players by starting the adventure off on a less rigid and more adventuresome path.

I'm sure you can get them on the right track next game... regardless of how late they are or how many illegally traveled high clearance transtubes they have to move through. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was being rather lenient, but I need to win over a couple of the players to Paranoia before I Zap them

Oh, and I have been keeping secret track of those treasonous actions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of them questioned your rulings or brought up rules violations to you yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
Have any of them questioned your rulings or brought up rules violations to you yet?

They're too cagey for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
belirahc wrote:

They're too cagey for that.

Damn *snaps fingers*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.