The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Knights & Legends
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD Tabletop Adventure Game
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
KULT: Divinity Lost
Dead Planet
Knave
H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy
Dungeon Squad!
Cat: Revised
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Companions' Tale
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Gamemaster's Guide
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
The Sunless Citadel
Dragon Fist
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Orcs of the High Mountains
Scarlet Heroes
Faces of Thedas
We Used To Be Friends
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Nameless Cults
Chicago Chaos
Berlin: The Wicked City
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
Fudge
Dungeon Masters Screen
King Arthur Pendragon (5th Edition)
Mekton Zeta
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (1st Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 32 - Vol. 6, No. 5)
Project Ninja Panda Taco
Fate Core System
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Cthulhu Abides
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Cthulhu Hack
Exalted Third Edition
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Labyrinth Lord» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Introducing Classic Role-playing to Children rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced Labyrinth Lord to my children (aged 5 and 7) over the course of several short sessions.

1) Rolling up characters-- my son's fighter got a natural 18 in strength. More than one character rolled 1 for hit points. I decided to let them reroll and they got 2's! My daughter almost got left out and she insisted she get to roll some up, too.

2) Orcs at the cave! The party killed three orcs at the cave entrance, but then were too afraid to enter. I had the orcs raid the village the next evening... so the party went back. The orcs fled into the cave when the party returned... and they followed them. My kids chose to put a weak thief in the front... and then got loud and goofy... so I let an orc come up and kill him. Then I had an iron gate come down and block the exit! I had to stop then because they were too wacky then.

3A) I drew a map of where the characters were. They discussed which passage would have the most gold in it. They went into the winding passage and were attacked by a carcass scavenger. [Does this thing really have *8* attacks?] It paralyzed all of the party except my daughter's two magic users-- she rolled a 4 for damage on 1d4 to finish it off. Awesome! Then she cast Floating Disc to transport the characters home. [I stretched a rule there to allow that.]

3B) My son really wanted to go back to the cave, but my daughter was afraid of losing another character. My son begged her to take one of them along and she finally agreed. They explored some scenery and then met some skeletons. My daughter got scared when I described them, but my son's cleric turned them. They found a chest with some treasure and heard some gruff voices coming. The cleric cast protection from evil-- and due to the role playing of my son, I ruled that it protected the entire party. The orcs showed up and my son's thief threw a dagger into the leader's face-- the orcs ran away when he fell over dead.

Quotes from the kids:

son: "Tell the story." [Meaning, start the game.]

son: "Let me think, okay?" [Deciding which passage to take.]

daughter: "But daddy, it's too scary!" [The entire room started shaking when they picked up the gold idol. They put it back.]

daughter: "Fight it." [All I'd said was... "a door opens to the right of the alter." I hadn't described anything coming out of it or anything!]

both: "Tell us a story about this game." [After the game was done and they really wanted it to go on.]

My children have played many of daddy's games... but I have to say that nothing has been able to draw them in like the very simple storytelling elements of this old system. The simple rules and *obvious* goals are a major plus in the regard.

Edit: punctuation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it.

My eight year old son and I recently played through the solo adventure in the '83 Red Box player's guide and had a ball. The very next day he and his friend (also 8), played through the adventure again. I just picked up the 4E Starter Red Box which my son & I are going to start playing this week - I'm going to play/DM us through some of the Chaos Scar adventures I think although I'm considering creating a random dungeon generator system for the game so that we both can be surprised by what we find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to try the free The Tomb of Sigyfel next.

If their mother lets me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.