Whitehack Second Edition
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Dogs in the Vineyard
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Twilight Imperium: The Role-Playing Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The 9Qs
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Archipelago (Third Edition)
Star Trader
Rivendell
The GameMaster's Apprentice
First Ride / Last Ride
Patrol
Life & Death: Zarth Edition
C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Chicago
X4: Master of the Desert Nomads
Sherpa
The Haunted Ruins
Gatecrasher
Now Playing: Roleplaying in Every TV Genre
Fields of Ruin
Qin: The Warring States
C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dark Tower
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2
Night Below
Masks of Nyarlathotep (1st & 2nd edition)
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Freeport Companion: The City of Adventure Soucebook for 4th Edition
Cardboard Heroes
Microscope
Home Made / Homebrew Rules + Adventures
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
White Wolf Quarterly (Volume 3.2 - Spring 2005)
Victoria
Bright Order Magic
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Fate Core System
Evolved Grottoes & Griffons: Teratic Tome
Pulp Cthulhu
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Solo RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solitaire [+] solo [+] solo_rpg [+] [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there ANY solo RPG that ISN'T:
1. Gamebook
2. Video game
3. Board game
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyawaii #0: Hikikomori
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A REAL RPG please. This seems boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. I'll give you a serious answer this time.

Try Mythic; it should work well for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
Tunnels & Trolls (5th - 5.5 Edition) is reputed to have a number of good solo adventures though I'm not very familiar with them. There are some T&T fans here that I'm sure will chime in.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
常常在三台,绵阳 (Santai, Mianyang) 有时候在成都(Chengdu)
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Mythic thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Tunnels & Trolls (5th - 5.5 Edition) is reputed to have a number of good solo adventures though I'm not very familiar with them. There are some T&T fans here that I'm sure will chime in.

-Dave

Yep, T&T has a significant body of stuff intended for solo play. I have a fair amount myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I just opened this thread as a tease, I didn't really believe there were solo RPG's. This is cool stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hikikomori is a great solo RPG with emphasis on your character and his sad little life. It's a nine on my rating scale

edit: but yeah, ok, Mythic is a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvettenkapitän Jasper Aurelius van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythic has clunky writing and interior art a tee-shirt airbrush artist would love, but its underlying game mechanics for solo play are good. Couple Mythic with your favorite game and a random dungeon/plot generator for a few evenings of decent solo entertainment. Find a friend or two for GM-less play, then Mythic is better still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunnels and Trolls immediately comes to mind.

I realize it's a bit far away but Flying Buffalo always has some thing free avaliable for T&T at every Free RPG day. If you have a FLGS near you they may have some copies left. The two I have from the last two FLGS both include solo play rules so you can check the system out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I know these things exist, then how about some free pdf ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hikikomori is a free pdf. I haven't played (just learned about it here.) Check out the game here http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/hikikomori

Don't forget you can also buy the Mythic GM Emulator, and play any game system you want. I don't recommend it, as for a few more bucks you can get the standard Mythic game, which includes the GM Emulator and more.

You can also play De Profundis solitaire. It isn't designed to play that way, but is easy enough. I think it actually makes it more playable as you actually get to role-play more and it is easier to actually play a game as you are not waiting for others to respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaspermeer wrote:
Mythic has clunky writing and interior art a tee-shirt airbrush artist would love, but its underlying game mechanics for solo play are good. Couple Mythic with your favorite game and a random dungeon/plot generator for a few evenings of decent solo entertainment. Find a friend or two for GM-less play, then Mythic is better still.

True that, I have rated the RPG a 10 but the RPG item an 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Shattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Now that I know these things exist, then how about some free pdf ones?

Flying Buffalo puts their free RPG day stuff up on DTRPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Three horror themed solo games. The first two are by Chaosium, the third Pagan.

Alone Against the Dark
Alone Against the Wendigo
Alone on Halloween
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Lands Gamebooks

Amazing game, highly recommended solo gamebook with a completely open setting that never ends. You can check out the fabled lands application online as well which is a free program with all 6 books. These books are also going to be reprinted this December, there's a thread already mentioning their rerelease here on these forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcs of the High Mountains

You have to run both the monsters and the heroes, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epidiah Ravachol
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but How to Host a Dungeon is a whole lot of fun solo play.

Rather than playing out the lives of adventurers, you're playing out the history of the dungeon they're about to explore. It has a pretty neat approach to random map design along with lots of grist for the story mill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after reading this thread I'm thoroughly interested in Mythic. I went to the geek to read about it and it wasn't enough info to really give me an idea of how it works or how well it works.

Does this really do what it claims to do or does it fall short? I can't imagine honestly playing an RPG by yourself and not feeling completely and utterly ridiculous and entertained. Would anyone mind shedding some light?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of playing Mythic a little like improvisational story writing. When you are role-playing with a group you are thinking about what is 'likely' to happen if you attempt this or that. Most of the time things go pretty much as planned, but sometimes things don't, as the GM or other players actions change what you expected to happen, Mythic helps you to add some of that randomness into the mix. What seems like will happen some times doesn't and things turn in a different direction. The Mythic rules will suddenly liknk story lines you were not even thinking to the part of the story you are working on right now. It really is pretty cool, and ultimately it is worth the few bucks you shell out for it. There is aMythic Yahoo! Group as well, once you join do a search for 'Ebon Knight' and you can get an idea of how Mythic plays. I am not the author of the Ebon Knight story but it is a great way to really see the mechanics of the game, and how it relates to creating the story. Alternately you can go to risusmonkey.com (the Ebon Knight author's blog, and click on the Mythic keyword, and find the story too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tassano
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Most all of my gaming (RPG and wargame) is done solo.
No matter what rule set I'm using, Mythic is up on the browser. In fact, I used it to get through my first National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) two years ago.

Mythic relies on you being creative. It doesn't answer questions for you in a truly meaningful way (as a GM might), but at the basic level gives you a yes/no answer.

For instance: My scout ship has crashed on a new planet. Do I know why the ship went down? (I figure the odds are pretty good that I do. I ask Mythic with that assumption, "Very Likely". The answer is "Strong NO"). Hmm. I have no idea why the ship went down? Okay. Maybe everything just shut off. Is that what happened? (Seems a likely explanation to me, so I ask Mythic with another "Very Likely". Answer: NO.)
Okay, the ship went down, I don't know why, but it didn't shut down on me.
I'll sort that out later.
What am I doing here? (I ask Mythic, get "Communicate - New Ideas" for an answer. What does that mean? Was I on a mission to carry some information to someone? That's probably it, so I call it Likely. Mythic says "Yes".)
I decide I had taken a job as a courier. Who was I working for? (Mythic responds "Carelessness - Danger". Okay, maybe that means because I was careless, now I'm in danger. Let's say I didn't do my due diligence before I took the job from a stranger and now I'm in trouble. If so, is my employer responsible for my crash? I call it 50/50 and get "Yes".)

So my employer somehow forced me to land here. Etc.

Mythic gives you "strong no/no/yes/strong yes" answers after you form a question and decide on the probability. It can offer cryptic/oracular tips in the form of verb/noun pairs when you need something more, but it's up to you to decide what the answer means.

It's easily the best tool in my arsenal for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Garvey
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
My latest game, Chronicles of Arax, is a solo RPG.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/95319/chronicles-of-arax-solo-adv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell's Belle
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risus, which is free, has an equally free trial scenario called Ring of Thieves which is solo. Yeah, it is a "programmed adventure," but it's very good and also very FREE and therefore worth a shot. You'll play it at least twice.

I've taken to using Mythic's Game Master emulation to provide the story framework while I try out new-to-me RPGs to learn the rules. It's simple, but brilliant.

I gather you can spend considerable time playing Traveller on your own as you roll up your character or design ships and equipment. It's not exactly role playing and I haven't had the patience to try it myself. But if sci-fi's your thing you might give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Three horror themed solo games. The first two are by Chaosium, the third Pagan.

Alone Against the Dark
Alone Against the Wendigo
Alone on Halloween

Don't forget Grimrock Isle!

(These probably all fail the not-a-gamebook test, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.