The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,513 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2663 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [107] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: What is the last novel you read? And what are you going to read next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Jeffry Willis
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just read the first part of The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (as discovered by The Laundry), but have yet to read the 2nd part novella. Now I'm on to the 4th book in Madeleine L'Engle's Time series- Many Waters. I can't believe these books never came across my radar as a youngster. They're wonderful! I'll probably return to Stross after this interlude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Last book I read was Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brian (good).

I am currently reading: Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (Horrible) and Excession by Iain Bank (not sure yet).

I have been thinking about reading The Atrocity Archives for some time, perhaps I will soon.

But before that I have to read some "regular" literature. Perhaps something Norwegian or something by Coetzee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Merry Christmas Geeks
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I tried reading the Star Wars novel Death Troopers, and it reminded me why I don't normally read Star Wars novels, it was pretty bad.

So I've picked up the Warhammer 40K novel Space Wolf. I've only read a bit of it but it is well written a has a good start.

Next I'm going to try Star Wars again but in a series that I do like by reading the third part of the Darth Bane Trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the middle of a book called "Zombie Apocalyose". Good luck figuring out what that's about ;)

The next thing I'll read is probably book 1 of the Morningstar Strain. Also zombie novel. I've been thinking of trying to get my hands on some Battlestar or Supernatural books. Yes, I know these books often suck, but I'm lacking BSG and Supernatural fixes ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrywith1e wrote:
I just read the first part of The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (as discovered by The Laundry), but have yet to read the 2nd part novella.

The novella's worth it. I just finished The Jennifer Morgue which is the follow-up to The Atrocity Archives. That one also contains a short story in which Delta Green gets a mention.

I am currently re-reading Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber. It's the first of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books which I discovered via Deities & Demigods back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while, but last one was Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis. Pretty good.

Next up is probably Storm Front by Jim Butcher or The Traitor's Hand by Sandy Mitchell.

Edit: Forgot that I read The Colour Out of Space last week. But it probably doesn't count as a novel anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Novel (i.e. fiction... I tend to read a lot of personal development and self-help books) was a re-read of God Emperor of Dune (so awesome!).

I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Not sure what I'll read next.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
The last ones I read were some Star Wars novels: The Thrawn Trilogy. Next will be these: World War Z, Neuromancer, the Foundation Trilogy, and Snow Crash.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
The last ones I read were some Star Wars novels: The Thrawn Trilogy. Next will be these: World War Z, Neuromancer, the Foundation Trilogy, and Snow Crash.:cool:

I thought you'd already read World War Z, Sarge? Is it a re-read, or was I mistaken?

Good luck with The Foundation, by the way. I couldn't get through the first one.
My mistake. Thought of the Valis (I believe) trilogy. The one by Philip K Dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
The last ones I read were some Star Wars novels: The Thrawn Trilogy. Next will be these: World War Z, Neuromancer, the Foundation Trilogy, and Snow Crash.cool

World War Z is a great read. thumbsup I wonder if you'll find that Neuromancer and Snow Crash have not aged as well as Asimov's works...

As for me, I prefer to read non-fiction, and actually I read so few novels that I cannot remember the last one. But lately I've been struck by a strange desire for a fantasy novel – doubly strange, because I usually don't enjoy fantasy. So, I bought The Blade Itself, and I admit that I'm liking it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Not sure what I'll read next.

After finishing Rand, you simply must read Ruff's Sewer, Gas & Electric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
Engoduun wrote:

I thought you'd already read World War Z, Sarge? Is it a re-read, or was I mistaken?

Good luck with The Foundation, by the way. I couldn't get through the first one.

No, not yet. I started once, but couldn't find the time.

About Neuromancer and Snow Crash: we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
United States
flag msg tools
badge
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
Brichs wrote:
Engoduun wrote:

I know the feeling I've been reading "Ender's Game" and Book 1 of the Honor Harrington series (Basilisk Station, which is loosely based on some of the Naval commanders of the French Rev and it's peeps) for months now. I seem to surf instead, aaaaahhhh BGG I HATE YOU!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Willis
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Slysally wrote:
Engoduun wrote:
Brichs wrote:
Engoduun wrote:

I know the feeling I've been reading "Ender's Game" and Book 1 of the Honor Harrington series (Basilisk Station, which is loosely based on some of the Naval commanders of the French Rev and it's peeps) for months now. I seem to surf instead, aaaaahhhh BGG I HATE YOU!!!!!
I could not get into Honor Harrington and I really tried. Read that first one and half of the second and found them so dry. I found Vorkosigan fills the sci-fi hole I was trying to fill with Honor Harrington, nicely. (Another series discovered via RPG books).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
United States
flag msg tools
badge
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I will have to research Vorkosigan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Graphic Novel - I just finished Bio Meat: Nectar, a manga about genetically altered creatures who eat anything and multiply very quickly. This was done as the world population has grown so large that this is the only way to continue to to grow meat enough to feed the world while removing the garbage that has built up because of this. One creature gets loose and thus begins the devastation of Tokyo. Survival horror meats lunch ^_^

As for normal novels, I think it was How Few Remain, a novel by Harry Turtledove about an alternate history United States where the South won it's freedom, but further down the line a Second War Between the States begins when the CSA annexes part of Mexico and Texas. This is the first book in a series of books that follows this alternate history through the first and second world wars. Very interesting series for those who enjoy alternate history (looking at the Wargamers here). ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a busy couple of months, so most of my reading at the moment is for my monthly book group.

The last book I read was Phonogram: Rue Britannia, a graphic novel about Britpop and magic which, if I'm honest, I didn't enjoy all that much.

Our next book is The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks, which I'm more optimistic about.

I'd echo the recommendations for World War Z; it was almost certainly the best book I read in 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks - well worth the read if you're a scifi fan.

Thinking I'll hit Michael Moorcock's Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ... that's a good question. It's been awhile, as I've mostly been reading non-fiction and game rulebooks\supplements of late. The last fiction I read, I believe, were Russell Kirkpatrick's fantasies Across the Face of the World and In the Earth Abides the Flame. Eventually I will finish the trilogy with The Right Hand of God,but I now have a pretty good pile of fiction to read. First up will probably be Glen Cook's latest Garrett novel, Gilded Latten Bones, although I really want to read two books by Dan Simmons, A Winter Haunting and The Terror, and there's The Fabric of Sin by Welsh author Phil Rickman, who is little known in the USA. That should keep me busy for awhile!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
Brofist
badge
I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo

The last novel that I read was Cory Doctorow's Little Brother - I really enjoyed it and slurped it down in one sitting. You can download the book to read for free in a variety of electronic formats from that link.

Right now I'm reading Kai Lung Unrolls His Mat - delightful Chinoiserie.

Next up is An Instance of the Fingerpost - evidently it is an In A Grove-like mystery set in Oxford, which is very cool because I'll make sure that I run past all of the places mentioned since I live in Oxford.

Cheers
Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Willis
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
Michael Moorcock's Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles next.
I saw that. Not sure how I feel about mixing Doctor Who with the Eternal Champions. Peanut butter and chocolate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
So far this year, I've read:

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (meh)
The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (excellent)
Agatha H and the Airship City by Phil and Kaja Foglio (ugh)

Next up will either be A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Leguin or The Chess Machine by Robert Lohr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Jeffrywith1e wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:
Michael Moorcock's Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles next.
I saw that. Not sure how I feel about mixing Doctor Who with the Eternal Champions. Peanut butter and chocolate?

There's only one way to find out if it tastes any good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading Zombie Apocalypse. It's a great little collection of written accounts of a Zombie Apocalypse. Kind of like World War Z, only not in interview form, but instead in the guise that someone has collected these written accounts afterwards.

This morning, I started Plague of the Dead, the first volume of "The Morningstar Strain". So far, so good.

I think my next read is going to be Stephen King's new short story collection, Full Dark No Stars. I tried it once before, but the first story rubbed me the wrong way.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I don't enjoy stories about people killing their spouses over petty grievances. Especially not when they appear to be proud of the fact...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United Kingdom
Chester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've just finished "The Dark Volume" by G.W. Dalquist.

Next up will be the latest Ian C. Esselmont, Stoneweilder - especially as it sets up The Crippled God by Steven Erikson - which is the final volume in the Tales of the Malazan book of teh Fallen series. Which I cannot recommend highly enough.

(for those who have mentioned Iain M. Banks - does anyone else find his books (which i really like) have a tendancy to end a little... flat?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [107] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.