The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,493 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2663 Posts
[1]  Prev «  103 , 104 , 105 , 106 , 107  Next »  [107] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: What is the last novel you read? And what are you going to read next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week's reading

If Tomorrow Comes by Nancy Kress. Science fiction, the follow-up to Tomorrow's Kin. It has been 10 years since Earth was visited by the 'aliens' who left us with plans for building our own ship to follow them home. A group of scientists, diplomats and a squad of rangers (to provide protection) are chosen to go. However when the spaceship arrives at the destination things are a lot different to what they had expected.

The Dreaming Stars by Tim Pratt. Science fiction, the follow-up to The Wrong Stars. Another fun space-opera(ish) adventure.

Of Sand And Malice Made by Bradley Beauliu. Fantasy novella set in the same world as his Twelve Kings series however this can be read as a standalone, and can be read first.

Paloma by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Science fiction, fifth in the Retrieval Artist series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the "Annihilation" movie this weekend, I'm giving the second book of the Southern Reach Trilogy (Authority) another try.

Of course, I'm already a little over halfway into the book, so I'm trying to remember what had happened up to this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
After watching the "Annihilation" movie this weekend, I'm giving the second book of the Southern Reach Trilogy (Authority) another try.

Of course, I'm already a little over halfway into the book, so I'm trying to remember what had happened up to this point.

I still haven't gotten around to watching the movie, and I'm not sure I want to. I liked the books when I read them, but they are so weird and atmospheric, I have a hard time imagining that the movie could get across the same feeling... so I keep putting off watching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kull Exile of Atlantis by R.E. Howard. Next will probably be Conan the Barbarian the complete original tales by the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
vyran wrote:

I still haven't gotten around to watching the movie, and I'm not sure I want to. I liked the books when I read them, but they are so weird and atmospheric, I have a hard time imagining that the movie could get across the same feeling... so I keep putting off watching it.

I wasn't in a rush to see it for the same reason, but I was surprised. The visuals and soundtrack are a real trip. The movie answers some things a bit more directly than the first book (which it gets away with by veering from the story a little), but you will still be weirded out pretty much constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
mb

A really good fantasy monster hunting novel with a whole lot of first nations mythology woven in. The author is NA indigenous so it's not bolted on, it feels alive and infuses even the subtle details of the monster and magic. Also, she's a Nebula & Hugo award winner, and a Locus finalist... so I'm not alone in liking this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Last read was The Outsider by Stephen King, which was quite good and creepy.

Next up will likely be City of Brass, which sounds pretty interesting.

City of Brass was great!

Looking at The Grace of Kings next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished Glen Cook’s new Black Company novel, Port of Shadows .

I enjoyed the return of the Black Company. It is an excellent book, that leaves fans of the series with more questions than it answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished All Systems Red the first book of the Murderbot Diaries, which was hilariously awesome. I love the author Martha Wells, so it was no surprise I'd enjoy it - but I didn't realize how awesome it would be. Handed it to my husband to read too, and he polished it off in a day. Now I need to check out the rest from the library.

Now I'm reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. I do so love books with intelligent ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sailor on the Seas of Fate" (Elric #2) is done.

"The Weird of the White Wolf" (Elric #3) is on the bedside table, but I'm waffling about starting "Caliban's War" (Expanse #2) instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies' Bane (by Patricia Wentworth), an old mystery novel in the "Ms. Silver" series. It was an OK, easy, fast read. But so telescoped it was not a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
mb
A collection of macabre and monster fic that's mostly okay with some excellent shorts and some snoozers. I think horror works best when it has time to simmer so the fact that a few do rise above is good news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, second part of four in the trilogy. Strange but fun. Next up is Life, the universe and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or is it five...? (Definitely not 6!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Or is it five...? (Definitely not 6!)

HHGttG
RATEoTU
LTUaE
SLaTFATF
MH
YZPIS (Short Story)
So 5+ a short story. I guess that really is 5.25 or so.

Currently reading Tank Girl Classics #1 AND still muddling through Ender's Game. I need a squirrel emoji. No squirrel, so... Beer!

Wait... I don't have any beer. oh well. A tankard of tea it is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Chalker's Changewind trilogy, the story of two young ladies from a world very much (but not exactly like) 1980's earth. They soon discover that they are pawns in a war between to master sorcerers, and one of them is called to a greater destiny than she ever suspected. This series show Chalker's usual preoccupations on full display. Issues such as sexuality, body image, colonialism, the dynamics of power, and the concept of radical physical transformation (often into another race or being altogether) are all explored again here, with Chalker's usual combination of cynicism and compassion. Worth a read if you're not familiar with his work, and not bad, but nothing essential if you've already read some of his other material, such as the Well of Souls or Dancing Gods series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading Elysium Fire and really enjoying it. I really enjoyed The Prefect as one of my favorite books in the Revelation Space universe, a nice mix of Sci-Fi and detective story - and this sequel seems to be in the same vein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave up on the struggle that is the second book of the Southern Reach Trilogy. Skipped to near the end to get to the point where something actually happens.

Not going after the third book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I'm currently reading Elysium Fire and really enjoying it. I really enjoyed The Prefect as one of my favorite books in the Revelation Space universe, a nice mix of Sci-Fi and detective story - and this sequel seems to be in the same vein.

I loved the Revelation Space series. Listened to it all on audio, with the fabulous narration of John Lee. Need to check the library to see if they have Elysium Fire -- assuming it is also set in The Glitter Band?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
Gave up on the struggle that is the second book of the Southern Reach Trilogy. Skipped to near the end to get to the point where something actually happens.

Not going after the third book.

I found the office politics setting of that second book somehow comforting. Yes it was slow and desolate, but the narrator trying to figure out Area X mirrored the reader's trying to understand it as well.

Third book picks up -- partially because it has multiple narrators instead of a single one -- but if you didn't like the second don't push through it. It is a tough series, very muddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I am currently reading The Complete ElfQuest. So when I name a future pbf character Treestump or Skywise or Redlance, that's the origin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red 6 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I loved the Revelation Space series. Listened to it all on audio, with the fabulous narration of John Lee. Need to check the library to see if they have Elysium Fire -- assuming it is also set in The Glitter Band?

Oh yes, like The Prefect it is set in the Glitter Band and is a murder mystery featuring Field Prefect Dreyfus. I'm almost done with it - so far I've enjoyed how the story has unfolded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
vyran wrote:

I have only seen the movie and not read any of the books (yet). I can say that "weird and atmospheric" would be a good description of the movie, so you may be pleasantly surprised.

In terms of my own reading, the last read was The Delirium Brief by Charles Stross. I am not sure what will be next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mb
I just finished Vicious, by V.E. Schwab

I really liked her previous series (A darker shade of magic), but this one didn't do the same thing for me.
It was a comic book-y plot, based somewhere on Earth (one imagines) rather than in a fantasy world.
Disappointing.

I'll be reading David Sedaris' Calypso next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
A duology from Sean Russel, Beneath the Vaulted Hills and The Compass of the Soul. Set in a world much like our own in the age of Sail, with the addition of magic. However, in this world, magic is dying out, largely because it is being deliberately hunted down by the last surviving mage, who believes that an apocalypse will ensue if it is allowed to continue to exist. It implies much more than it states in many cases, and leaves a lot of plot threads ultimately dangling. The first book is the better of the two, with as good a realistic depiction of the dangers of spelunking as anything I've ever read. It wasn't bad, by any means, but ultimately unsatisfying at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  103 , 104 , 105 , 106 , 107  Next »  [107] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.