Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Tech Support
Escape the Underdark
Dark Elves' Lair
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Space Gamer (Issue 15 - Jan 1978)
Drunken Bear Fighter
Tales from the Loop: GM Screen
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Into the Jungle
RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha
Forbidden Knowledge
Mutants & Marvels 1.0
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Book 04: Starship Traveller
Book 05: City of Thieves
Book 01: Dungeon of Dread
Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales
Griffin Mountain
The SKETCH System Core Rulebook
Dragon (Issue 72 - Apr 1983)
Heart of Ice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook
Fragged Empire: Core Rule Book
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Orbital 2100
Tales from the Loop
Tales from the Loop: Map
Tomb of Annihilation
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Pathfinder #136: Temple of the Peacock Spirit
Pathfinder #137: The City Outside of Time
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2663 Posts
[1]  Prev «  103 , 104 , 105 , 106 , 107  | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: What is the last novel you read? And what are you going to read next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was on vacation I devoured Level Grind a compendium of the first four books of the Twenty-Sided Sorceress series. They were highly amusing and I look forward to tracking down the rest.

The premise is that magic is real, and this particular sorceress learned how to use her magic via D&D manuals in the 80s (which, as the book says, wouldn't work for most people, because the magic in the books isn't real - you need to be a sorcerer to do it!) The books are easy to read urban fantasy (though the urban part is a small fictional town in Idaho) and the plots aren't terribly deep, basically could read one a day with no problems. But the shapeshifters and murders aren't the main draw: all the shout-outs to video games and D&D are really why I'm reading them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reading Numero Zero by Umberto Eco. After this, I will have read all of his fiction, which is sad for me to think. It's a very cynical look at journalism, with a dash of conspiracy theory thrown in.

I'm also reading Italian Folktales reinterpreted by Italo Calvino. I guess I'm on an Italian kick. I love folktales but periodically they remind you of how racism and sexism used to be a common part of life. I commented to my wife on a story that repeatedly called a Moorish (i.e. black) girl ugly. And the very next story was about how lazy Turks are (I'm Turkish.) Despite that, I'm enjoying most of the stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Weird of the White Wolf" (Elric #3, M. Moorcock) is finally finished.

Just about halfway through "The Steel Tsar" (Nomad of the Time Streams #3, M. Moorcock).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
I also finished an Italo Calvino book, Invisible Cities. 9 chapters of between 5 and 10 very short tales about impossible cities, as allegedly narrated by Marco Polo to Kublai Khan. A fictive game, but a source of genuinely intriguing ideas about extreme cultures and ways of living. Themes of Death, Memory, Dread and Desire float through the book. A great book to dip into, or for interrupted reading. It also rewards rereading and thought.

In contrast, I also finished A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. Set and written in the early 80s, it's a murder mystery with a hardish-boiled female PI protagonist. A good page turner, with a couple of neat murder ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy
France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've accumulated much to read this last year and just finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman this week. I've really enjoyed the time dilatation concept.

Next on my list is either Idoru by William Gibson, Starship Troopers or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
I also finished an Italo Calvino book, Invisible Cities. 9 chapters of between 5 and 10 very short tales about impossible cities, as allegedly narrated by Marco Polo to Kublai Khan. A fictive game, but a source of genuinely intriguing ideas about extreme cultures and ways of living. Themes of Death, Memory, Dread and Desire float through the book. A great book to dip into, or for interrupted reading. It also rewards rereading and thought.

I love that book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
Gave up on the struggle that is the second book of the Southern Reach Trilogy. Skipped to near the end to get to the point where something actually happens.

Not going after the third book.

I continued my search for strange books that had their own crazy logic like Annihilation, and found out about "surreal fiction" and "bizarro fiction."

Bizarro fiction led me to a short novel called "Every Time We Meet at the Dairy Queen, Your Whole Fucking Face Explodes." I enjoyed how it managed to treat a condition where becoming overexcited causes a violent, gory eruption of flesh from the skull is just sort of odd, and how that premise sets the baseline for even weirder and more disturbing events.

I will probably look further into the surreal fiction side of things next for something a bit more subtle in its strangeness, but after the monotony of Authority, a story that was unashamedly insane was a nice change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
I continued my search for strange books that had their own crazy logic like Annihilation, and found out about "surreal fiction" and "bizarro fiction."

You might like Captain Jack Zodiac by Michael Kandel if you can find it. It's pretty surreal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
vyran wrote:

You might like Captain Jack Zodiac by Michael Kandel if you can find it. It's pretty surreal...

Quite a lot of Rudy Rucker is pretty out there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished “The Steel Tsar" and now halfway through “Count Brass” (also by M. Moorcock). Gradually filling in the still-unread titles in his Eternal Champion series.

Next up is "The Champion of Garathorm" (Chronicles of Castle Brass #2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Champion of Garathorm" (Chronicles of Castle Brass #2) is done.

Halfway through "Quest for Tanelorn" (Chronicles of Castle Brass #3).

A bit burnt out on Moorcock; time to go back to Fritz Leiber for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently reading Deadhouse Gates (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55401.Deadhouse_Gates) and Story Genius (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833542-story-genius) Next up is probably Memories of Ice (next Malazan book) or Brief Cases (Dresden Anthology).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:

A really good fantasy monster hunting novel with a whole lot of first nations mythology woven in. The author is NA indigenous so it's not bolted on, it feels alive and infuses even the subtle details of the monster and magic. Also, she's a Nebula & Hugo award winner, and a Locus finalist... so I'm not alone in liking this one

Thank you for this - it’s now on my “to read” list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  103 , 104 , 105 , 106 , 107  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.