Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to have at least one more 24-hour RPG contest this year, and I promised some consultation on the details. So here is a thread to solicit your opinions, gathered from the various comments made following last year's contest (Feedback thread).

Remember that you can change your votes after casting them, if you change your mind. Just click on the "Questions" button to recast your vote.

TIMING

Poll: 2011 24-Hour RPGs: TIMING
Which periods are best for you to design your RPG? (Answer this question if you are considering entering the contest. Mark multiple answers if you want, taking into consideration that there may be more than one contest this year.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Early February
3.1% 1
Late February
15.6% 5
Early March
15.6% 5
Late March
9.4% 3
Early April
3.1% 1
Late April
3.1% 1
Early May
15.6% 5
Late May
15.6% 5
Early June
25.0% 8
Late June
15.6% 5
Early July
28.1% 9
Late July
37.5% 12
Early August
37.5% 12
Late August
21.9% 7
Early September
18.8% 6
Late September
21.9% 7
Early October
15.6% 5
Late October
12.5% 4
Early November
6.2% 2
Late November
6.2% 2
Early December
6.2% 2
Late December
9.4% 3
Voters 32
Last year we had about two weeks during which contestants could choose their own 24-hour period. What entry period do you think is best? (Answer this question if you are considering entering the contest.)
Less than a week
0.0% 0
About a week
17.1% 6
Two weeks
42.9% 15
Three weeks
17.1% 6
A month
22.9% 8
Voters 35
We then also had about a one week period for the general public to read all of the entries (32 last year) and place their votes. What voting period do you think is best? (Everyone answer since voting is open to all users.)
Less than a week
0.0% 0
About a week
25.6% 10
Two weeks
59.0% 23
Three weeks
5.1% 2
A month
10.3% 4
Voters 39
This poll is now closed.   39 answers
Poll created by Stelio
Closes: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:00 am

FORMAT

Poll: 2011 24-Hour RPGs: FORMAT
Last year's format was that a designer had exactly 24 hours to design and produce their RPG entry.
* It needed to be original work, with no third party assistance.
* Artwork had to be original, or publically available and credited with a valid licence for use.
* Flavour text from publically available and licensed sources was allowed if not a significant proportion of the content.
* All entries to be in an electronic format and available for download from this site.
How many contests should run this year? (Zero is not an option.)
One
16.2% 6
Two
59.5% 22
Three
16.2% 6
Four
8.1% 3
Five
0.0% 0
More than five...
0.0% 0
Voters 37
And what about the format? (Keep in mind that although you may prefer just one contest, the popular vote may be for more than one. Also have a look at the suggestions for different formats before deciding.)
Keep all of them in the same format
8.3% 3
Have at least one in the same format, but with some variety for any others
72.2% 26
Use a different format for all of them
19.4% 7
Voters 36
What differences in format would you like to see, if any? (You can make multiple choices. Choose none if you want to keep the format the same for all contests this year.)
Limit entries to a specific genre
33.3% 12
Limit entries to a specific theme
27.8% 10
Limit entries to a specific mechanic
8.3% 3
Entries must use a set of "ingredients"
61.1% 22
Allow the use of existing (validly licensed) systems
22.2% 8
Shorter design period (e.g. 12 hours)
2.8% 1
Longer design period (e.g. 48 hours)
33.3% 12
Minimum page count (e.g. 24 pages in 24 hours)
5.6% 2
Maximum word count
16.7% 6
Allow collaboration (e.g. pairs of designers)
47.2% 17
Allow privately-commissioned art
11.1% 4
Design a setting / campaign
47.2% 17
Design a scenario / adventure
58.3% 21
Design an accessory
27.8% 10
Voters 36
This poll is now closed.   37 answers
Poll created by Stelio

If you have other ideas that you would like to see, comment below and I'll add them as additional choices in supplementary polls. Remember that if you find the constraints too onerous for the contest, that there is nothing stopping you from further developing your entry outside of the contest.

VOTING

Poll: 2011 24-Hour RPGs: VOTING
Last year I decided that there would be three winners, with the prize GeekGold shared between them in unequal measures (3/6 to first place, 2/6 to second place, 1/6 to third place).

How many winners should there be (considering that we ended up with 32 entries last year)?
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
60.0% 21
0.0% 0
31.4% 11
2.9% 1
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
2.9% 1
More than 10
2.9% 1
Voters 35
And how should the prize fund be split (assuming multiple winners)?
Equal amounts to all winners
5.6% 2
Shares proportional to the winners' relative positions
94.4% 34
Voters 36
Last year I used the Single Transferable Vote algorithm to tally the votes. The order of the top nine entries (out of 32) was given; the votes didn't allow for much greater differentiation beyond that.

Which voting algorithms would you be open to seeing used? (Note that I won't use any kind of multiple-round system; users should just need to place their votes once.)

Note also that many of the following methods are single-winner methods and would need to be slightly modified in order to cope with multiple winners. Specifically these are all of the options listed from "First-past-the-post" to "Range voting". The modification is fairly simple though: find the single winner by the method, then eliminate that person and recount to find second place, etc. (So in fact instant-runoff voting would actually become preferential block voting, for example.)
First-past-the-post (cast one vote; most votes wins)
13.5% 5
Condorcet method (rank any number of options in order of preference; pair-wise compare all combinations to find relative winners)
18.9% 7
Bucklin voting (rank any number of options in order of preference; count rank 1 votes, majority wins; if no majority, also count rank 2 votes, etc.)
16.2% 6
Coombs' method (rank all options in order of preference; eliminate candidates ranked last by most voters, until majority vote wins)
8.1% 3
Instant-runoff voting (rank any number of options in order of preference; eliminate candidates with fewest votes moving their votes to next-preferred candidate, until majority vote wins)
13.5% 5
Borda count (rank any number of options in order of preference; each rank is assigned a number of points; most points wins)
8.1% 3
Approval voting (vote for as many as you like with equal weight; most votes wins)
18.9% 7
Range voting (assign every option a score within a range; highest score wins)
8.1% 3
Single transferable vote (rank any number of options in order of preference, to fill a set number of places; surplus votes above winning quota are spread to lower-ranked options; eliminate candidates with fewest votes moving their votes to next-preferred candidate, until majority vote wins)
21.6% 8
Cumulative voting (assign a number of votes equal to the number of winning positions, allowing more than one vote per option; most votes wins)
2.7% 1
Limited voting (assign a number of votes less than the number of winning positions, at most one vote per option; most votes wins)
5.4% 2
Plurality-at-large voting (assign a number of votes equal to the number of winning positions, at most one vote per option; most votes wins)
8.1% 3
Preferential block voting (rank any number of options in order of preference; eliminate candidates with fewest votes moving their votes to next-preferred candidate, until majority vote wins; once first winner is found, elimate them and recount to find subsequent winners)
13.5% 5
I have no idea / don't care
45.9% 17
Voters 37
Would you like any of these other proposed changes to the voting to be implemented?
Reveal voting results all the way down
35.3% 12
Reveal the actual votes from all voters
2.9% 1
Vote on additional categories (e.g. most original, best setting...)
82.4% 28
Voters 34
This poll is now closed.   37 answers
Poll created by Stelio

LOGO

Poll: 2011 24-Hour RPGs: LOGO
Last year, I whipped up the following logo for the contest, which designers could add to their entries if they wanted to:

What about this year?

Note that changes to the design are open to all, so if you have a great idea then feel free to show it to everyone for consideration. If the popular choice is for redesign then I'll ask the community to come up with suggestions.
Use the same logo this year (although I'll update it to PNG format)
81.1% 30
Tweak it slightly
18.9% 7
Redesign it completely
0.0% 0
Voters 37
Last year all entrants (and the person running the contest) got an exclusive microbadge: mb. What about this year?
Use a consistent design (tweaked, probably with a different colour)
89.5% 34
Use a new design
10.5% 4
Voters 38
This poll is now closed.   38 answers
Poll created by Stelio

OTHER

Having run this once already, I can already see some ways to improve the process. Most of these won't be visible, but one of the key improvements would be to create a compressed file containing all entries for download, in order to make it easier for voting folks to get the entries in one bundle. (This bundled file would be available only during the voting period; individual files would be always available against the individual entries in the database.)

I'm always open for suggestions on any other improvements.

First contest for the year: 2011 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG contest!
Second contest for the year: 2011 RPG Geek 48-hour RPG contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio, thanks for running this last year. I can't wait to give it another shot this year. While I still need to work on my original entry, I'm more than happy to embarrass myself again at trying to create something. Who knows, one of these embarrassments might become something worthwhile ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb
It was fantastic last year and I'm ready to roll again! But don't put any limitations on the content as suggested in the poll above - not being able to write what I want to would probably discourage my entry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I can't believe how many votes are suggesting July/August. Isn't that Gen*Con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm chomping at the bit to do this again this year (though I do need to post the revised version of last years game still....) Thanks so much for running it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
It would be good to have another Fiasco playset contest too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'd like to see at least one contest with more time: a week or even a month to design your game. A good 24-hour burst is highly reccomended, of course, to get the 'meat' of your game done, but there are people who can't always commit a full 24 hours that would still like to enter.

2) Please do not have any games in November, as that clashes with Nanowrimo. Unless, of course, we get a full month in November and that becomes our Nanowrimo entry, too.

3) There are several good voting systems, but preferential block voting sounds closest to how we thought STV worked.

4) Themed contests would be great! They don't have to be limited to genres or settings: We could theme contests around mechanics, or game styles. I'd like to see an "old school" contest (find a new way to use the ideas of classes, level, and random-rolled attributes), for example. More specifically...

5) I'm just biased, but I'd love to see an OGL contest. Open d6 is a good choice, as well as d20, but either way, I'd like a contest which would focus more on the setting than the need to create rules.

6) I'd like to award prizes in several categories.

7) I really need to get my wiki back up and running to work on GRIMDARK s'more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Gen-what? Must be one of those foreign things...

sdonohue wrote:
I can't believe how many votes are suggesting July/August. Isn't that Gen*Con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding other formats for other contests. I'd love to see a reskinning/hacking contest and a collaborative design contest,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like *non-participants* to suggest RPG ideas. That is, I'd like see us design games other people *want*. I often see BGG'ers say "I like this game but..." and I see this as a challenge and opportunity to create a game variant that fixes the problem. Frex, today, I just made an Arkham Horror variant for solo play, no board.

How it could work:
* One month for RPG idea requests.
* One month for 24-hour RPG submissions.
* One month for voting and feedback.

Parameters: Design an RPG or adventure based on any request.

Here are *my* requests:

1. Design a Lovecraft horror RPG system using components from the FFG Mansions of Madness and/or Arkham Horror games. Your RPG system must use or easily adapt the skills on the character sheets, and ideally their special abilities. Your RPG system must be easily used with or integrate the Call of Cthulhu adventures. A dramatic roleplaying system is preferable.

2. Design a D&D 4e adventure using only components from the Castle Ravenloft and/or Wrath of Ashelon boardgames.

3. Create an RPG compatible with the the World of Warcraft Boargame and supplements into a RPG. Your RPG must use the character and treasure decks and should use the miniatures (on a battlemap for tactical combat). In effect, a player should be able to switch between your RPG and the boardgamem with minimal effort and no change in game balance.

4. Port the World of Warcraft boardgame monsters and characters to D&D 4e or Descent. Include a low-level adventure.

As for timing, anytime after taxes and before the major holidays is fine with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thought is that it would be nice if you designed a game, someome would actually *play* it. Judging and awards are all nice, but I really doubt many games that we create are played.

So how do we get these games to be played? How about a genre that's much in demand by the boardgaming community: The "Choose your own Adventure" game? CYOA's aren't RPGs, but, like Arkham Horror, have many RPG elements that gamers who don't have time to play RPGs certainly enjoy: immersive theme, personal choices, skill checks, and, of course adventure. With over 30 entries, we can create an entire *month* of gameplay!

Without a publisher on our back, we can certainly design CYOA's beyond the "swords and spells" books the older folks may remember from their youths. I would certainly like to see a CYOA that would introduce me to an indie RPG, such as a Fiasco CYOA, Mouseguard CYOA, or even a CYOA adapted from a 24-Hour RPG entry! You could even adapt a game to CYOA, where you're a dwarf on Magdar, a useless adventurer in Cave Troll, or a Terminator in Space Hulk: Death Angel, or a crew member from the Awful Green Things!

EDIT: Maybe this can be munged into the Request idea. I want a Mouseguard CYOA! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.agcpodcast.info
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of at least one contest per year with a theme. I work well (often better) with creative constraints such as those imposed by the Iron Game Chef and Two Games one Name contests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another contest idea: "Take an idea, leave an idea." You claim an idea for a game you'd like to see made, and in return leave one to three ideas out for anyone else to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just like the scenario ideas with no restrictions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Carter
United States
Dayton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

3. Create an RPG compatible with the the World of Warcraft Boargame and supplements into a RPG. Your RPG must use the character and treasure decks and should use the miniatures (on a battlemap for tactical combat). In effect, a player should be able to switch between your RPG and the boardgamem with minimal effort and no change in game balance.

4. Port the World of Warcraft boardgame monsters and characters to D&D 4e or Descent. Include a low-level adventure.

I would love to see these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a contest where all the games have a fixed starting point (scene). Every game submitted starts with the same scene or phrase, e.g. "The boys sat in a line on the curb watching the girl balance the soda bottle on her worn out tennis shoe.That's when it happened..." At the end of the contest, everyone votes each game submission in or out. Games that are voted in get combined into one .pdf/ebook/book and those designers split the prize.

The beginning scene/phrase would force the game to include some implicit elements (boys, girls, a curb, road building, bottling, sugar production, etc.) that could not be predicted and worked on before the contest; however, the contest would leave the genre and narrative type up to the designer. Perhaps this is a post apocalyptic game, a child romance, an alien invasion, modern fantasy, etc. with mechanics to match. It could be a hoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
I still like the tag team idea. I want to work with someone on the opposite side of the planet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I'd love to see a contest where all the games have a fixed starting point (scene). Every game submitted starts with the same scene or phrase, e.g. "The boys sat in a line on the curb watching the girl balance the soda bottle on her worn out tennis shoe.That's when it happened..." At the end of the contest, everyone votes each game submission in or out. Games that are voted in get combined into one .pdf/ebook/book and those designers split the prize.

The beginning scene/phrase would force the game to include some implicit elements (boys, girls, a curb, road building, bottling, sugar production, etc.) that could not be predicted and worked on before the contest; however, the contest would leave the genre and narrative type up to the designer. Perhaps this is a post apocalyptic game, a child romance, an alien invasion, modern fantasy, etc. with mechanics to match. It could be a hoot.
Something that's already been discussed to an extent that you may be interested in: RPG Scenario Repository Discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
I still like the tag team idea. I want to work with someone on the opposite side of the planet!

We could do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I'd love to see a contest where all the games have a fixed starting point (scene).

Conversely, I'd love to see a contest where participants are given the plot apex and have to design games that mechanically lead players to that apical decision. Examples might be: Design a game in which players end the game by deciding whether or not to push a button. ...or give up information ...or interrupt the wedding ceremony ...or jack in ...or go through with Seppuku ...or just sit there and let it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This one's as much a request as a possible theme. It stems from the fact that most RPG publications are read and not played. I'm sure that's frustrating for the players as much as the designers. Myself, I review RPGs and regularly find myself unhappy that I can't play these fine products. So here goes:

Design or adapt an RPG so it can be played over email, on a forum, on a geeklist, or similar form. And run it.

Contests are useful to get me to actually write something, but, at least in my opinion, games are ultimately meant to be *played*. Expanding the 24-Hour RPG into a community-wide game event should have a greater and more enjoyable impact than an annual design contest.

Yes, I'm fine with dropping the "And run it" part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls