Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
182 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

2011 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs» Forums » News

Subject: 2011 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG contest! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: twittered [+] 24hourRPG2011 [+] 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Announcing the 2011 RPG Geek 24-Hour RPG Contest! meeple

(I really wanted to post this a week ago, but have unavoidably had restricted internet access. As a result I've moved my originally planned dates somewhat.)

I am delighted to announce the site's second RPG design competition. It's a 24-hour RPG contest, in the traditional format (details below if you've not heard of this sort of thing before) as used in last year's contest (2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs). If you remember last year's, the key difference is that the voting period has been extended to two weeks; other rules are the same.

There will be fabulous prizes for the three best entries, as voted for by the users! All entries will be added to the RPG Geek database, preserved for all time!

What's it all about?

The challenge is to design and produce a complete role-playing game in a single continuous 24 hour block of time. This is a strict time limit. As soon as you start, you have exactly 24 hours to do your work, and at the end of that time it's done and you should submit it.

There must be no advance preparation work. All of the work (designing a system, a setting, creating fiction, artwork, typesetting) must be done within the 24 hour block of time.

It must be original work. Don't use anything you've worked on previously. And definitely don't use anyone else's work (which means you'll have to think up of your own system).

It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else. The sole exceptions to this are:
that you can use public domain art for your document Addendum:...which includes Creative Commons art
that you can include a small amount of public domain text for mood setting only (any quoted text must be properly attributed, and must not be a substantial portion of the entry's text)
and that you may include this logo if you so desire (click on the image for higher resolutions):

By entering the contest, you consent to having your work loaded onto RPG Geek as a downloadable file. The preferred file format is PDF, but if you have other more creative ideas then that's probably fine too. If you can't create PDFs, send your document as is to Stelio and he'll convert it for you.

Why would I subject myself to this?

It's fun! It's an interesting challenge, and you're constrained to the same limits as everyone else. The time limit also ensures that you don't have to spend too much of your time on the project if you have a busy lifestyle.

There are also PRIZES for the top three winning entries, as voted for by you, the users of this site. The initial prize fund is 60 bag from my own earnings which will be split amongst the winners thusly:
30 for first place
20 for second place
10 for third place
All tips to this post will be added to the prize fund, with the prizes remaining in proportion (so 1/2 of the collected pot will go to the first placed winner, 1/3 to the second placed winner, and 1/6 to the third placed winner).

Check the first reply to this post for the latest update on the prize fund.

Further, all entrants will receive the perk of being added to the database as RPG designers and producers, with all that entails (including the option to wear a "GAME DESIGNER" badge, and free microbadges as detailed here).

Stelio will also pass on to the relevant entrants all bag gained for adding the game information to the database (typically 7 in total for the RPG and item submission, 1 for a new designer, and 1 each for relevant images).

All entrants (and Stelio for running the contest) will further receive an exclusive microbadge: mb. This is available solely through this particular contest. Any future contests run here will have their own unique microbadges. Collect the set!

Timescales

The contest is open for entries through to 8 March 2011. Send your completed entry by e-mail to Stelio at 24hourRPG@stelio.net. I'll hang on to them until the end of the entry period.

All entries received before the end of 8 March will be valid for entry into the contest, regardless of whether they have been fully completed or not (we appreciate that 24 hours is a very short space of time to create a full RPG). That gives you three full weekends to find the time.

When the entry period has closed, I'll create database objects for all the entries and ask the designers to upload their files to the appropriate entry for other users to access. If any designer has not uploaded their file within a couple of days, I'll upload it myself (so that the voting doesn't get delayed) but will delete my upload if the designer eventually does get around to uploading it themselves.

Then when they've all been checked and sorted, the entries will be announced to everyone and I'll set up a poll for voting. The poll will use a single transferable vote system (which, briefly, means that you rank the entries in order of preference which makes choosing a top three more representative).

Voting will be open for two full weeks (a week longer than last year), after which the results will be announced and the prizes distributed! Party on!

After the contest, you may decide that you want to take your work, polish it up, and make it into something greater. Go ahead! We'd love this contest to inspire you to design.

Eligibility for Entry

All registered users of the site are eligible to enter the contest, unless they are running the contest (so that's everyone except Stelio then).

If you're not a user yet, but you'd like to enter, then sign up for an account! It's free and we don't ask any awkward questions! We're very friendly to new users, whether this is your first time here or you've been lurking for years.

Please: only one entry per person. If you're mad enough to make more than one, let me know which you would like to be considered for the competition.

For details of last year's competition, and all of the entries that were created, see: 2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs

For future updates and related posts for this competition, subscribe to: 2011 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs

There will also be a second competition in a different format later in the year (probably late July / early August). Make your thoughts known here: 2011 24-Hour RPG Polls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Total entries received: 28

lydon, PghArch, Sam and Max, corvidsun, Lord_Kristof,
sbszine, dumwytgi, belirahc, Astinex, TiwazTyrsfist,
Red Wine Pie, Scrowe, Spleen23, ghostofchristmas, Top Rope Games,
aramis, entropyblues, beardo1976, Ugavine, paulidale,
Barad_the_dwarf, AndersGabrielsson, Toggy, Hida Mann, vestige,
sos1, sdonohue, nyriv

Current prize fund: 624 bag

312 for first place
208 for second place
104 for third place

(At the end of the contest, I'll also add in however many extra are required in order to adjust the prize amounts to whole numbers. That additional float based on current tips is included in the prize fund listed above.)

Tippers in order of awesomeness:
d10-1d10-0d10-0 from yohanleafheart, changeling
d10-6d10-0 from sdonohue
d10-5d10-0 from Badger242
d10-4d10-0 from beardo1976
d10-3d10-1 from Hida Mann
d10-2d10-0 from vestige, Red Wine Pie, Vaklam
d10-1d10-0 from lydon, IndyRick, wavemotion, stargate, sos1, Scrowe, sbszine, sirjeyhmis, Jester, AndersGabrielsson
d10-5 from Aveoreen, aramis, ghostofchristmas
d10-1 from regency_rhi, Camelorn, markcarlson, Lord_Kristof, Ugavine, papiklfish

Of course, I think that everyone who tips is awesome. laugh
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Still in even though Stelio made me delete my first comment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh thanks, just as I finally got an idea for my next adventure for Doctor Who and I have to start researching everything and write it up you come up with this one. No I have to find a 24 hour slot where I'm free to write and think up an entire RPG. That said, I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOT!.

I have been waiting for this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh excellent! Last year was loads of fun! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, last year's was a lot of fun to do and produced some really cool and interesting entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! As soon as I can find 24 hours, I'm on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We can start now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.agcpodcast.info
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea scares the hell out of me.

I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though my last attempt was a disaster, and I need to really get back to it, I'll jump into this one as well. If I can make a fool out of myself once, i can do it again. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was already interested in the past contest but did not find the time... so lets see if I can find the 24h to do this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almafeta wrote:
We can start now?
Oh, yes. Yes indeed. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Suey
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
I paid imaginary currency for you to read this. Let's both appreciate this moment....
badge
Apparently, I need to like more games that start with E.
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh whoa, this sounds too cool to pass up.

A bit of a clarification about prior work, I'd like to take inspiration from a short story I'd worked on previously. I'd be taking just the time frame (Prehistory Europe) and the very basic conflict (Bronze age societies in conflict with stone age tribes).

This seems pretty borderline with the rules above, so I'll submit it to the whim of you fine folk. I'm sure I can think of another setup, but that era of change has always been fascinating to me.

Thanks for setting this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
World Cup Final 14th July 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
All the works from last year were really good. I really hope I can find the time for this before the deadline myself.

Good luck, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
I am in also. I'm trying not to have any ideas yet!

Is Creative Commons art permitted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

On the topic of arts, can I ask Aline to do for me, on the same time slot, to make me some art? Because I suck at drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
yohanleafheart wrote:
sbszine wrote:

On the topic of arts, can I ask Aline to do for me, on the same time slot, to make me some art? Because I suck at drawing.

stellio wrote:
You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
stellio wrote:
You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else.

Reading comprehension for the lose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
Oh, yes. Yes indeed. cool

However, I need to finish the RPG I'm writing for Phoenfyre that he won from January's Games for Geekgold auction, before I get into another 24-hour RPG... then again, his started as a 24-hour RPG and is now about 48 hours in, so. c.c;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb
OK then, time to reboot my brain and see what pops out this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:

The Marloweiad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
Reading comprehension for the lose!
Not really. Public domain stuff is okay, but CC isn't? What if a friend draws something for you and releases it into the public domain? It doesn't make any sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:

The Marloweiad?

Moore likely something like 'The Many Lives of Oscar Wilde', 'Stop Tom Stoppard!' or 'Conan-Doyle the Barbarian', but I think that my science side is likely to manifest itself this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |