Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
182 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

2011 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs» Forums » News

Subject: 2011 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG contest! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: twittered [+] 24hourRPG2011 [+] 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is that the materials you use should be freely available to everyone in the competition, and the entry is to be unencumbered by rights issues. Having a friend do a piece of art specifically for you and then put in the public domain so you can use it is clearly against the spirit of the rules, if not the letter.

The CC rights issue could be brought up for discussion on future iterations of the competition, but public domain only draws a pretty simple, clear and bright line, which is what makes it handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hawvermale
United States
Ranger
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I teach English at a two-year college. Having recently watched the wonderful episode of Community in which they play AD&D, I thought that creating an RPG around the events at such an institution would be rather funny.

Oh, and here's the link to Hulu in case you haven't seen Chevy Chase "win" AD&D:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/212754/community-advanced-dungeons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very tempted to try, as I didn't decide to do it last year. We'll see if I can think of something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
The point is that the materials you use should be freely available to everyone in the competition, and the entry is to be unencumbered by rights issues.
Creative Commons with commercial use permitted meets that requirement, though. I routinely make use of Creative Commons and release my photography into it, and it's a shame not to have this great resource available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Creative Commons with commercial use permitted meets that requirement, though. I routinely make use of Creative Commons and release my photography into it, and it's a shame not to have this great resource available.

I don't recall if this came up during the competition last time. Personally, I don't have a strong opinion either way if that is the case. Stelio is organizer of this, so up to him if it would be a significant change to make on this iteration of the contest. I suspect not as I haven't seen a deluge of "I just submitted!" posts yet.

Speaking of which, I just submitted mine! I've never done anything like this before, but the timing was perfect for me with an open period yesterday afternoon to this afternoon.

It was a ton of fun, and I didn't fall as short of my ideals as I'd worried I would. Can't wait to read all the entries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And so, I'm off... had an idea, and I thought 'what the hell, I've got the time to do it now, and I don't want to pass on the idea'... The challenge is on, we'll see if I'll be able to finish the game until tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have started my entry, which is currently illustrated by a lurid clipart pineapple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
PghArch wrote:
The point is that the materials you use should be freely available to everyone in the competition, and the entry is to be unencumbered by rights issues.

I used CC art in mine last year and still won a prize... It seems to be entirely within the spirit and rules of the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa. Already? It felt like the last contest was only a few months ago!

Oh, wait. Wrote it.

HeroQuest: The RPG
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/616786/heroquest-adding-rpg-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.agcpodcast.info
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I have started my entry, which is currently illustrated by a lurid clipart pineapple.

I certainly hope "lurid clipart pineapple" is a character option. Or, at the very least, a monster one might encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Absolutely. Creative Commons is totally fine to include in your work (properly credited of course). My use of the term "public domain" was unfortunate since that has a specific legal definition that does not include Creative Commons in its remit. I'll edit that.

The intention is that a contestant can use external artwork to illustrate their entry, so long as that art is freely available in a source that any other contestant could also reasonably use, and is properly credited. The intention is that those of us with poor art skills can benefit from externally-available art, but that no one is relatively disadvantaged by someone having exclusive access to a particular artist's work for example.

In summary: Yes, Creative Commons is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
One weekend in, and I've already got four entries! Fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and done. Just sent the 26 page document to Stelio.
I'm quite excited, this worked out much better than I expected. Can I share the name of the game with you guys, or should we wait for the geeklist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sent! Didn't have time to seek out CC art in the end, so clipart pineapple it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Vaklam wrote:
I certainly hope "lurid clipart pineapple" is a character option. Or, at the very least, a monster one might encounter.
It's a roll-your-own setting game, so feel free to include pineapple monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyah, I just got a great idea for such a game, but I need to finish Providence first...

EDIT: Base game done and I'm happy with it. It's actually based off my draft for Monster Manuel JdR. I'll finish putting in the extra traits and have it up by this weekend; I'll work on my 24-hour game entry this weekend, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted. If there's a most original mechanic category, I just may win it. Unless something like Hop Scotch comes along again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty typical to have so many ideas shot down in your head that you don't know where to begin, right? >_
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.agcpodcast.info
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
It's pretty typical to have so many ideas shot down in your head that you don't know where to begin, right? >_

I sure hope so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Simonsen
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
designer
[Your Ad Here]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:

Either that or you don't have any ideas at all. Everything else is just weird
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Suey
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
I paid imaginary currency for you to read this. Let's both appreciate this moment....
badge
Apparently, I need to like more games that start with E.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying desperately not to think of any (good) ideas until I get my window next week, but I'm curious if anyone can point to any good tutorials on PDF formatting, or suggest a program to do the actual writing and formatting in?

I'd love to make a great character sheet as one of the first steps, but I haven't the foggiest idea of where to start to make a template.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entropyblues wrote:
Trying desperately not to think of any (good) ideas until I get my window next week, but I'm curious if anyone can point to any good tutorials on PDF formatting, or suggest a program to do the actual writing and formatting in?

I'd love to make a great character sheet as one of the first steps, but I haven't the foggiest idea of where to start to make a template.

I dont know if its a mac thing, but when you print a document, you can chose instead to have it "print" to pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Suey
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
I paid imaginary currency for you to read this. Let's both appreciate this moment....
badge
Apparently, I need to like more games that start with E.
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
entropyblues wrote:

I dont know if its a mac thing, but when you print a document, you can chose instead to have it "print" to pdf.

I'm more looking for what program to do the actual formatting and layout with, but I'm sure that will come in handy at the end. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I just did mine in MS Word. It's not the prettiest, but for a quick 24-hour thing it's good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used LibreOffice the successor of OpenOffice. Great PDF export, free as in beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |