Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
182 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 

2011 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs» Forums » News

Subject: 2011 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG contest! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: twittered [+] 24hourRPG2011 [+] 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. Woooo! Look forward to reading them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing I came looking for this since I had a blast last year, and even though my entry failed to find favor with the others I'm very proud of it (and I should really get around to polishing it up a bit). And yes, I know I owe nearly everyone who entered then a review... soblue

Hopefully I'll have a couple of hours to work on presentation this time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought yours had some really neat ideas going for it, personally.

Also, I've decided to go ahead and stick with my original entry. I'd like to polish this second one before I upload it to the geek (which will probably be in the next few days).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Good thing I came looking for this since I had a blast last year...
Hmmm. Good point. I'll send a geekmail to all of last year's participants (that I haven't seen already get involved with this thread) just in case they haven't noticed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'cause life is just a dream here; You know inside you feel right at home here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Hmmm. Good point. I'll send a geekmail to all of last year's participants (that I haven't seen already get involved with this thread) just in case they haven't noticed it.
No I hadn't noticed it, I was expecting it later in the year for some reason.
Unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be able to find the time now, I don't have the free time now like I did last year (I really wish I did)
Although I'm pretty spent on ideas at the moment anyway. If I get chance I may do something small as a token effort at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea has come to me, so now I just need to not think about it until the weekend. Fortunately I have other game design thingies to throw at my brain and keep it distracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Stelio wrote:
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
No I hadn't noticed it, I was expecting it later in the year for some reason.
Unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be able to find the time now, I don't have the free time now like I did last year (I really wish I did)
Although I'm pretty spent on ideas at the moment anyway. If I get chance I may do something small as a token effort at least.

Similar for me... but I might be able to crank it out thursday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly there'll be one or two more design contests this year. They'll be in a different style (not creating a complete and original RPG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Christensen
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
completed and turned in.. its gonna take me a week to recover.. im not sure i have ever pushed myself so much mentally in one 24 hour period before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb
Planning to do mine this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And...entered last night. I'm going for the "game most likely to make you cry by blatantly pulling your emotional strings" category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Christensen
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question. The morning after i completed my RPG i realized that i had forgot to add a character sheet. In the off chance that anyone actually plays my game I would like to provide a character sheet.. can/should i add this to the game files after the page has been created for my game? or should i wait until the voting is over since the sheet wasn't created during my 24 hour design period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we decided you could upload other documents when the voting was over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top Rope Games wrote:
I have a question. The morning after i completed my RPG i realized that i had forgot to add a character sheet. In the off chance that anyone actually plays my game I would like to provide a character sheet.. can/should i add this to the game files after the page has been created for my game? or should i wait until the voting is over since the sheet wasn't created during my 24 hour design period.
I don't have a problem with a character sheet being uploaded to the database entry as soon as it has been published. The presence or absence of a character sheet is unlikely to have a significant impact on voting, and is a useful addition to have.

Edit: The prevailing opinion is to wait until after the voting period is over before submitting any additional content. That sounds good to me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure this is probably not the right place to ask, but since this thread inspired the RPG...

the audio/tactile 24 Hour RPG that I'm NOT using. Clearly, there will be no artists, at least in a visual sense. Would I include the guy who created the sound effects as the artist when it gets uploaded? Likewise, for format, would it be electronic or other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
Planning to do mine this weekend.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
Top Rope Games wrote:
I don't have a problem with a character sheet being uploaded to the database entry as soon as it has been published. The presence or absence of a character sheet is unlikely to have a significant impact on voting, and is a useful addition to have.

Hmm, I'd side with Barad's suggestion, that the sheet be added after voting is complete. It may not be the case in this particular situation, but it is quite easy to imagine a case where the character sheet contains a significant amount of game information. I know that in the case of another RPG design I'm working on, once I formatted the character sheet I was able to delete a couple pages of rules from my main text as redundant.

Rather than introduce a loophole, I'd suggest limit it to material created in that time period for the voting. Most (all?) voting is done without actual playtesting of the rules sets in any case.

Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.. sheets are part of the submission.

Speaking of submissions, mine just sent. 47pp PDF 5.5x8.5"
And far less jargony this time...

23 hours, 10 minutes, including 8 hours sleep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 47 pages! I managed only 10, but I had to subtract some more hours for cooking and playing with the kids. That did not reduce thinking time, though...

With the character sheet addition I also think that no loopholes should be introduced. Either it was submitted within the 24h or it was not. And having a game without a special character sheet certainly will not hamper play, cause if your system got that complicated within 24h that a game without sheet is hard, you already did something wrong in my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:
Wow, 47 pages! I managed only 10, but I had to subtract some more hours for cooking and playing with the kids. That did not reduce thinking time, though...

With the character sheet addition I also think that no loopholes should be introduced. Either it was submitted within the 24h or it was not. And having a game without a special character sheet certainly will not hamper play, cause if your system got that complicated within 24h that a game without sheet is hard, you already did something wrong in my eyes.

I spent about 3 hours on illos... and an hour on getting the images out of inkscape and into pages (eventually, via EPS export/import)
Oh, and we watched an episode of Castle Wed Night... (recorded)

And they're half-sized pages; I do "Little Black Book" sized stuff. So really, it's about 24 letter-sized or A4-sized pages equivalent.

Of that 47 pages, 1.5 are the TOC (which is nearly an index... it includes most headers), 1 cover page with illo, 4 are the PC sheet, 2 different NPC sheets, and a 4 pages of play aid forms, 1 cover page, 6 pages of maps... Rules and setting actually total only about 25p.

I will probably have some more polish for the "non-24-hour" revision by the end of next week, but won't release that until the voting period is up.

If you want to know he secret to such prolificity....
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bipolar disorder with my manic state usually manifesting as obsessive-compulsive episodes, coupled with the wife being home to deal with the children.

when the rest of the universe ceases to matter, one can get a lot of stuff done.

I had a few things to touch up that didn't get done due to a child's Dr's appt. Including more maps. (some already done.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:

I spent about 3 hours on illos... and an hour on getting the images out of inkscape and into pages (eventually, via EPS export/import)

Huh? What did you use for writing? I just saved them as standard SVG and then dropped them directly into LibreOffice (aka. OpenOffice). No need to think about it at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Christensen
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with stelio's original response a separate doc character sheet would have no bearing on voting.

Either way, thats fine, i have no problem waiting. My game doesnt need the character sheet i just thought it would be nice for people wanting to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Suey
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
I paid imaginary currency for you to read this. Let's both appreciate this moment....
badge
Apparently, I need to like more games that start with E.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp, I just sent mine in. Decided it would be unfair to use any previous fiction work I'd done, so I went for a new setting.

Took Wednesday off work, and went from 1 AM Wednesday, to 1 AM Thursday morning. It's pretty stunning how much I had to delete and triage just to finish. I have a whole appendix of "Stuff I wish I'd added".

And I just noticed a pretty big error on my character sheet. Whoa.

Maybe for the revised 2nd Edition...

Thanks again for setting this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:
aramis wrote:

Huh? What did you use for writing? I just saved them as standard SVG and then dropped them directly into LibreOffice (aka. OpenOffice). No need to think about it at all...

Apple's Pages. Which doesn't support SVG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] |