Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
856 Posts
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [35] | 

D&D Essentials» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Dark Council (IC): Chapter 3 - Expedition to the Ancient Academy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Acrobatics 1d20+9 = (9) + 9 = 18
"Stupid. Bloody. Flying. Lizard!" Califer yells as he falls back and draws his bow.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 14700. MJ Harnish
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (9) + 9 =
  • 18
  • Acrobatics
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:11 am
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MJ Harnish wrote:
MJ Harnish previously rolled 1d20+9 = (9) + 9 = 18 (Acrobatics)
"Stupid. Bloody. Flying. Lizard!" Califer yells as he falls back and draws his bow.
Anyone that has a bow drawn (likely Califer and Caelan only) can take a shot so long as you are still standing on your feet (i.e. not prone). Then the Wyvern head attacks as the shield begins to collapse back into a solid wall!

The Wyvern has AC24
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If, instead of attacking, Caelan can move farther away from the beast, he'll take that option and back up ten squares. If not, the following occurs:

Caelan curses in dwarven under his breath as he takes aim at the much easier to hit target now that it's so close. He lets his arrow fly and...

Short bow attack = 1d20+6 = (4) + 6 = 10, damage = 1d8+3 = (3) + 3 = 6.

...he hits the most densely armored piece of the wyvern's snout, watching his arrow shatter against the steel hard hide.

Isn't the wyvern getting pretty badly hurt leaning into the bug-zapper wall?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 14771. Wind Lane
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (4) + 6 =
  • 10
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:20 pm
  • [+]
  • 14772. Wind Lane
  • 1d8+3 =
  • (3) + 3 =
  • 6
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:20 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:
Isn't the wyvern getting pretty badly hurt leaning into the bug-zapper wall?
Yes, quite damaged. It's in pain. It's going to attack either you or Garrin once. It may get a more powerful attack depending on whether Califer strikes flesh. I'll wait for Califer's shot and then the Wyvern will strike.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Move: Ambush trick, moving to I8.
Free: Backstab
Standard: BRA Attack 1d20+13 = (9) + 13 = 22 Damage 1d8+2d6+1d6+6 = (7) + (6 + 3) + (5) + 6 = 27

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 14774. MJ Harnish
  • 1d20+13 =
  • (9) + 13 =
  • 22
  • Attack
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:06 pm
  • [+]
  • 14775. MJ Harnish
  • 1d8+2d6+1d6+6 =
  • (7) + (6 + 3) + (5) + 6 =
  • 27
  • Damage
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:07 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MJ Harnish wrote:

Move: Ambush trick, moving to I8.
Free: Backstab
Standard: BRA MJ Harnish previously rolled 1d20+13 = (9) + 13 = 22 (Attack) MJ Harnish previously rolled 1d8+2d6+1d6+6 = (7) + (6 + 3) + (5) + 6 = 27 (Damage)
I'm guessing that's a 21 with the -1 exhaustion. A close glancing blow but not enough.

The Wyvern opens it's huge maw and attempts to bite 01-60=Califer, 61-100=Garrin 1d100 = (50) = 50 (01-60=Caelan... not Califer) and will swing his head and smash it into the side of the other (i.e. the one he didn't bite).

Bite +13 attack vs AC 1d20+13 = (19) + 13 = 32 with Bite Damage 4d6+12 = (3 + 2 + 1 + 5) + 12 = 23

Head thrash attack on Garrin misses (see the die rolls for the roll, I errantly entered 'Bite Damage' for the attack roll - but it really was a miss).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 14776. wavemotion
  • 1d100 =
  • (50) =
  • 50
  • 01-60=Califer, 61-100=Garrin
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:43 pm
  • [+]
  • 14778. wavemotion
  • 1d20+13 =
  • (19) + 13 =
  • 32
  • vs AC
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 pm
  • [+]
  • 14779. wavemotion
  • 4d6+12 =
  • (3 + 2 + 1 + 5) + 12 =
  • 23
  • Bite Damage
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 pm
  • [+]
  • 14780. wavemotion
  • 1d20+11 =
  • (3) + 11 =
  • 14
  • Bite Damage
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 14781. wavemotion
  • 3d6+4 =
  • (1 + 6 + 6) + 4 =
  • 17
  • force damage. And target shifts 4 squares away from the center of the battlefield.
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With a vicious bite, the Wyvern snaps down on Caelan and takes a good chunk out of his flesh. The head then thrashes about as Garrin ducks, bobs and weaves his way to safety. The shield collapses, cutting the Wyvern across the neck - leaving his lifeless head inside the courtyard and his body, like any good reptile, writes and wiggles away in the last death throws of the severed nerves.

All is quiet.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To relieve himself of some of the jarring pain he's received, Caelan kicks the wyvern head and curses loudly.

HP = 6/29

Caelan then steadies himself, takes out his short sword, and goes to work harvesting whatever he can from the wyvern head that might even have the slightest value.

Nature check to see what I can get = 1d20+9-1 = (6) + 9 - 1 = 14.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 14786. Wind Lane
  • 1d20+9-1 =
  • (6) + 9 - 1 =
  • 14
  • Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitsho claims an eye, tooth, and a sample of tongue and scales from the head. He cuts away carefully, preserving the specimens in the various containers he has brought. He then walks over to each pile of debris and prods at it carefully with his quarterstaff, looking for anything beyond rubble, such as an indication that it was once worked materials.

Finally, he will turn back from the shield and head towards the large doors in the side of the mountain, looking carefully for any signs of markings on them, around their frame, or on the ground in front of them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:
To relieve himself of some of the jarring pain he's received, Caelan kicks the wyvern head and curses loudly.

HP = 6/29
Unless you guys rush to the door, you can consider yourself in a short rest and spend a healing surge (or two!) as you like. Please track your healing surges appropriately.

Quote:
Caelan then steadies himself, takes out his short sword, and goes to work harvesting whatever he can from the wyvern head that might even have the slightest value.

Nature check to see what I can get = Wind Lane previously rolled 1d20+9-1 = (6) + 9 - 1 = 14.
You don't find much - a lot of blood at the neck where the shield cleaved the beast in half. The eyes might make good material component for the Wizards guild but you're really not sure -- that's Mitsho's department.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
Mitsho claims an eye, tooth, and a sample of tongue and scales from the head. He cuts away carefully, preserving the specimens in the various containers he has brought.
All taken.

Quote:
He then walks over to each pile of debris and prods at it carefully with his quarterstaff, looking for anything beyond rubble, such as an indication that it was once worked materials.
The debris is mostly twisted wreckage of what used to be here in the courtyard. Please give me a Perception check.

Quote:
Finally, he will turn back from the shield and head towards the large doors in the side of the mountain, looking carefully for any signs of markings on them, around their frame, or on the ground in front of them.
The doors are made of a thick iron or other metal composite. They are warped and twisted but mostly in tact. Above each door set on either side and carved into the stone are two gargoyles - the one on the left appears to be reading a (obviously stone) book, the one on the right has his taloned hand under his chin as if in thought.

The bottom of the right side of the twisted door is bent upwards - there is enough room for a halfling or other small creature to scurry under it. The doors open outwards - though they look pretty fused together.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"There are more teeth" Mitsho adds, with a meaningful look towards Califer's neck.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garrin looks at the wounds received by his comrades and attempts to clean and prepare them for proper healing. He uses a salve to soothe the pain as well, in an effort to make everyone as comfortable as possible.

After attending to the party, Garrin sits and centers himself with prayer for two solid minutes - quietly calm, he is trying to get his serenity back.

After that, Garrin goes over to the head of the beast and dips his mace head into the beast's blood, saying a little prayer as he does so, "Pelor giveth lifeblood to all, Pelor allows power to be taken away, this blood shall merge with his light and give me strength."

Garrin then tries to dislodge two scales from the beast, one he affixes to his mace and the other he wraps and puts away in his bag for safe keeping.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caelan lamely copies the Mitsho and takes a tooth for himself, selecting one that he can later fashion into an arrow head. He'll take multiple of them if they're available.

Seeing what the others are doing he'll help with the searching of the rubble in the courtyard.

Perception check = 1d20+9+2-1 = (2) + 9 + 2 - 1 = 12.

If he finds anything he'll give it to Mitsho with a mumbled thanks for the lock opening.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 14898. Wind Lane
  • 1d20+9+2-1 =
  • (2) + 9 + 2 - 1 =
  • 12
  • Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 am
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Climbs atop the head and strikes a pose. "Hurry someone sketch me! This will make a perfect cover for t'book I'm goin' t'write. Califer slew the foul dragon with but a single black arrow by findin' a chink in its armor. It'll be a classic!"
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
Garrin then tries to dislodge two scales from the beast, one he affixes to his mace and the other he wraps and puts away in his bag for safe keeping.
Done.

Caelan wrote:
Perception check = 1d20+9+2-1 = (2) + 9 + 2 - 1 = 12.
You poke around in the rubble and debris - everything looks pretty well mangled beyond recognition and/or use.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Anyone find it strange that this dragon decided to swoop down and attack us right now?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MJ Harnish wrote:
"Anyone find it strange that this dragon decided to swoop down and attack us right now?"

"No lad, I think this beasty was given the job of protecting this entrance. He was set upon us because it was his duty to do so. I suggest we not lose our diligence and carefulness, I am absolutely sure that there are even more dangerous things awaiting us inside."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I certainly hope not. Our survival of this encounter was due more to its error than our ability."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
PghArch wrote:
He then walks over to each pile of debris and prods at it carefully with his quarterstaff, looking for anything beyond rubble, such as an indication that it was once worked materials.
The debris is mostly twisted wreckage of what used to be here in the courtyard. Please give me a Perception check.

Somehow missed this response in the thread until just now!Perception (at -1) 1d20 = (5) = 5

Mitsho carefully observes the gargoyles flanking the doors. Is there any writing or title on the book?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 15005. PghArch
  • 1d20 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Perception (at -1)
  • Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:53 am
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
wavemotion wrote:
PghArch wrote:
He then walks over to each pile of debris and prods at it carefully with his quarterstaff, looking for anything beyond rubble, such as an indication that it was once worked materials.
The debris is mostly twisted wreckage of what used to be here in the courtyard. Please give me a Perception check.

Somehow missed this response in the thread until just now! PghArch previously rolled 1d20 = (5) = 5 (Perception (at -1))
You find only twisted wreckage and junk from a bygone era.

Quote:
Mitsho carefully observes the gargoyles flanking the doors. Is there any writing or title on the book?
There is no writing on the book, however, you do notice that neither statue seems to be harmed. No char marks. No crumbling. Considering the condition of the rest of this courtyard you find it a little strange.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Take a look at this! These two statues appear to have withstood the dirt and elements." Mitsho calls out to the others. I'll attempt to detect any sort of magical protection about them while anyone else who is interested approaches.Then I'll ready my quarter staff in preparation to prod the hands and book of the first gargoyle.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"A devilish looking statue remained unharmed in a place where devils came and destroyed everything?" Caelan draws his swords as he strides over.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Garrin is satisfied that everyone has rested and is healing well, he starts toward the "statues" that appear to have been skipped by the devastation. Seeing Caelan draw his sword causes Garrin to speed up and pull out his mace. When Garrin reaches the area he peers at the statues and tries to ascertain their origin.

Can I use a religion check to see if they have any markings that are recognizable or if they are a common evil symbol I am aware of?

Or perhaps an Insight check if they appear to be alive or animatable?

Or perhaps a Heal check to see if they are damaged as much as the other stuff, just not visibly so?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With Garrin and Caelan nearby, Mitsho proceeds with poking the book and statue with his outstretched quarterstaff, to see if anything will jar loose.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [35] |