Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
AMBER Diceless Role-Playing
Bushido (3rd Edition)
Dark•Matter Campaign Setting
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
The Lapis Observatory
Binding the Wind
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Everyone is John (2nd Edition)
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Monsters & Treasure
Children of the Horned Rat
I6: Ravenloft
Blood Spawn: Creatures of Light and Shadow
Villains and Vigilantes (Version 2.1)
Dungeons & Dragons Essentials: Monster Vault
Savage Thundarr!
Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Macabre Tales
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Onslaught at Arda I
Spellbook Cards: Druid
Spellbook Cards: Bard
Curse of Strahd
Mutant Bikers of the Atomic Wasteland (Fudge)
Cepheus Engine System Reference Document
Epsilon City
The Curse of the Statuettes
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
Recommend

John Taber
Santa Clara
California
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
Work hard, play hard!
-== What is it? ==-

Death In Luxor is the first Call Of Cthulhu adventure in the Age Of Cthulhu line from Goodman Games. I purchased the PDF version from DriveThruRPG so that is what I will be reviewing.

The document is comprised of the covers, the adventure with interspersed art and maps, several pages of handouts, and five sample characters. The PDF has a color front and back cover and an entirely black and white interior. The format is 8.5” x 11” and is 50 pages in length.

I have read the product from cover-to-cover. I ran the adventure for my gaming group after converting it to Fudge for my Terra Incognita campaign. (See the session logs on this very blog for a complete recap of how the adventure ran for my group.)

-== What I Like ==-

The adventure was very solid with strong hooks to move the players from one scene to the next. I had no trouble keeping things moving along even with my unpredictable set of players.

Several of the encounters created a lot of great drama. One scene that went particularly well with my group involved an encounter where the tomb guardians lock the PC into a tomb that is filling with water and releasing deep ones. It was awesome watching the PC scramble for a solution. Great stuff!

The module is set in the 1920′s but it was very easy to convert to the 1890′s where my campaign was set. Simply replacing cars with camels did the trick.

I really enjoyed the interior art and the cover. The cover art is pretty dramatic and eye catching.

-== What I Don’t Like ==-

Some of the handouts and the maps print out very dark. One of the handouts is not even viewable unless the copy is lighted by quite a bit. Even though the maps are dark they are nicely detailed.

During the adventure the PC encounter several bits of text that they translate. Some of these translations are critical to the story. I really wanted more of these translations available as handouts. Even if it is just a copy of the text in a tiny box that would have been nice. I was forced to create a separate document then copy out the text from the PDF. If I had not purchased the PDF I would have been forced to drag out the old copy machine.

-== Summary ==-

Overall I liked the adventure. It was linear but not overly so and the action was great. If this is their first attempt at a Call of Cthulhu scenario they are off to a great start. The price point for the PDF is fantastic at only $7.99.

I give it 7 out of 10 paws.