Eternal Lies
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Tales from the Loop
Twilight Imperium: The Role-Playing Game
Fiasco
FU: the Free, Universal RPG
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Far2: Discord at the Docks
Forbidden Lands Core Book
Dogs in the Vineyard
Dread
Heaven & Earth Third Edition
Breaking the Ice
Solo of Fortune
James Bond 007
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e)
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
... and a 10-foot Pole
Dragonlance Adventures
Warhammer City of Chaos
Eurosource
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Gamma World
Legends of the Hero-Kings
Maelstrom
Isles of the Shackles
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition Preview
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
The Quiet Year
Tenra Bansho Zero
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
Planet Mercenary
Journeys & Maps
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Apocalypse World» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Apocalypse World - Review after 4 Sessions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ross cowman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
After 4 sessions and reading through the book multiple times, I can honestly say I haven't been this excited about a game since I was introduced to the role playing at the age of 10. Apocalypse World takes much of the conventional wisdom and chucks it straight out the bomb-shelter door.
Here is what I'm talking about.

-Play to find out what happens
"DO NOT pre-plan a storyline, and I'm not fucking around. Its not your job to put their characters in double-binds or dead ends, or to yank the rug out from under their feet. Go chasing after any of those, you'; wind up with a boring game that makes Apocalypse World seem contrived, and you'll be pre-deciding what happens by yourself, not playing to find out."

Huh, really? Yes. Really. And Vincent tells you exactly how to do this, step by step. Using the characters as a springboard, the whole first session is spent following them around in their day to day lives. As MC your job is to ask tons of questions and build off of their answers. This might sound boring, but it's not, a normal day in Apocalypse World is still pretty nuts.

There is more, indeed, the whole book of innovations like these, culled from a long tradition of indie-game designers (he lists them in the back.

Character Generation
The character's are presented in a downloadable PDF format, ApocalypseWorld-playbooks.pdf and are free to download. The playbooks print out on legal sized paper and are trifolded and hole punched to fit on a ring. Everything you need to know to make your character is right there. The whole presentation screams play me. Character generation and teaching the rules to new players takes all of half an hour. The characters are an interesting mix, there is the Chopper (leader of a motercycle gang), the Hardholder (think tina turner in mad max), the Gun Lugger (the baddest ass), and the Brainer (wierd psycic) to name a few.

Conflict Resolution

The game uses a "Fortune In the Middle" system, where you make a Move (there are Basic moves, and Character specific moves) then pass off the decision making to the victim. The moves are amazing, things like

Go Aggro
roll 2d6 + Hard
on a 10+ They have to choose, either force your hand and suck it up , or cave and do what you want
on a 7-9 The can instead choose one
-get the hell out of your way
-barricade themselves securely in
-back off slowly, hands where you can see them
-tell you what you want to know (or what you want to hear)

On a miss the GM gets to make a move, something like, Take Away Their Stuff, or Inflict Harm. Every move is backed up with concrete examples of how to implement them in play. I've never read an RPG that did a better job of showing you how to play it then Apocalypse World.

Actual Play
Our four sessions have been a total blast. I am used to freaking out before the first game trying to get the adventure ready, I was amazed and surprised how easy everything was. The GMing style allows the players to harness their own creativity and ideas and create a setting and story that is far more interesting and surprising that what I would have invented by my self. It is also more a reflection of their characters and the things they are interested in. The game is also super easy for newcomers to pick up and play.

Criticisms
If I had to criticize this game, I would say that GMing this game is going to be a new skill for most people. It demands strict adherence to the Principles laid out in the chapter on GMing. I would read the book through a couple of times before trying to run it. designed. Oh and don't spill orange juice on the cover. It will melt the ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds pretty cool. How long have your sessions been taking, and how many people have you been playing with?

Does it turn out easy to have sessions with a different mix of players when someone can't make it that week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:

Does it turn out easy to have sessions with a different mix of players when someone can't make it that week?

I haven't played it yet, but have read it.

Because of the way the game is, it can cope pretty easily with a player who goes missing for a session or two. You are not necessarily some group, some pack of adventurers who hang around together to fight stuff. You all have connections to a place - and if someone is out of town for a week - then that is fine.

I think it is going to be much harder to cope with an extra player for a session or two. They will have missed out on helping to define the world you are playing with, and will not have the relationships and connections with the other PCs and NPCs that the regular characters have. Plus it isn't one of those games where a player can be handed a pre-gen, or gen up a character by themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

I think it is going to be much harder to cope with an extra player for a session or two. They will have missed out on helping to define the world you are playing with, and will not have the relationships and connections with the other PCs and NPCs that the regular characters have. Plus it isn't one of those games where a player can be handed a pre-gen, or gen up a character by themselves.

That's probably why the recommendations I've read say to try and have your initial "full" group there for the first two sessions. After that everyone should be at least somewhat familiar with the world and can drop in and out.

I went ahead and bought the PDF to try it out. For $15 it's a lot cheaper than Dominant Species, which is the next game on my wish list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think missing a few sessions is a game breaker. The person coming back would just have some catching up to do, just like when you take a vacation in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ross cowman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
4 hours is great for a session, 3 if everyone knows what they're doing. Characters can drop in and out, though I think it is strongest if everyone is there most of the time.
check out apocalypse-world.com and story-games.com, for a wealth of info on running this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ross cowman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Postscript: I've now run over 30 sessions of AW now at Gamestorm, Fabricated Realities, Go Play NW, Story Games Olympia, and numerous private sessions. It is easily my favorite RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David knie
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I know this is a dusty thread but does anyone know were i can get my hands on this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just_link wrote:
I know this is a dusty thread but does anyone know were i can get my hands on this game?

I was going to answer with the URL, but the site seems to be down, along with a couple other sites it's normally at. I know I visited the site a few months and it was up still.

I don't play anymore, so if it's not available anymore for some reason I could sell you my used copy.

Although if you are looking for a fun new RPG that's a bit simpler than Pathfinder or D&D and really versatile, check out http://www.ruleofcool.com/ for a copy of Legend, which my group recently started playtesting with a few of the devs.

We're really liking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Braut
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I just ordered the games two days ago from this website:
http://theunstore.com/index.php/unstore/game/83

I see the site is down at the moment, but as I know it was working two days ago I guess it is just temporarily.

I haven't played RPGs for like 15+ years, but this looked so good that I just HAD to have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tracked down the problem with the sites. Apparently the host of all these sites, and some others I assume, got out of the hosting business last year and transferred all of their sites to another host.

If you go to that host's home page, they explain the problem.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYi - the main site is back up: http://www.apocalypse-world.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosscowman wrote:
Postscript: I've now run over 30 sessions of AW now at Gamestorm, Fabricated Realities, Go Play NW, Story Games Olympia, and numerous private sessions. It is easily my favorite RPG.

How many PCs do you recommend? Are five too many?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ross cowman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with 3 or 4. When you are comfortable with the MCing, a large group can be a blast. Just frame lots of short 2-3 person scenes with different combinations of people.

Also don't make more NPCs then you absolutely have to.
Also read the book 3 times and do everything Vincent says :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtuacon 2017
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
rosscowman wrote:

No games at RPG Geek, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ross cowman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that a con? If so, where does it happen? If you're referring to the system of logging plays on this site. I don't track the games I play here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtuacon 2017
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
rosscowman wrote:
Is that a con? If so, where does it happen? If you're referring to the system of logging plays on this site. I don't track the games I play here.

No, I'm referring to the Play by Forum section of this very website, where tons of great RPG games are played out! AW looks like something that may work well in that medium. If you've never checked out the PbFs, follow the link above. I know some people don't like the slower pace of playing in a forum thread, but it's a great way to play with people all over the world and try games you might not otherwise have a chance to.

Come on in and run some AW games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.