The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
OSR Solo
Star Crossed
Disciples of Bone & Shadow: Core Rules
Ironsworn
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
Thousand Year Old Vampire
Highfell
D&D Essentials Kit
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Ars Magica (5th edition)
Catapult Run
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Darkly Through the Labyrinth
Numenera: Starter Set
The Tragedy of GJ 237b
Beamswords and Bazookas
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Drowning and Falling
Microscope
Out of the Abyss
Dark Streets 2nd Edition
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
The Breached Fortress of Anoros
A Field Guide to Hot Springs Island
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to Combat
Spookshow
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Dungeon Master's Kit
Fate Core System
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Rise of Tiamat
The Strange
The Secrets of Cats
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Storm King's Thunder
TimeWatch
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventurer's Companion
Bree
Tomb of Annihilation
Building Tomorrow
Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
526 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 

Basic Dungeons & Dragons» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Basic D&D - Threats of the Past CH 1: Old Rumours (IC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Threats of the Past Campaign.

Before you get started, please go to the Threats of the Past Wiki Page and paste your PC information there. Also, bookmark that page so that you can reference it when needed.

Here are some appropriate links for this game:
Original Intro OOC Thread
Character Generation Thread
TotP Chapter 1: Old Rumours (IC)
TotP Chapter 1: Old Rumours (OOC)

This is the IN CHARACTER Thread for Chapter 1: Old Rumours. Please subscribe to this thread; for future ease of locating it I also recommend using a quicklink.

This thread is specifically for IN CHARACTER actions and conversations. In this thread you should put in quotes and either bold or colorize what your PC is saying. You can describe the PC’s actions in regular color and non-bold text.

To perform rolls for the game we will use the in-thread dice-roller. When you describe dice rolls and any questions or comments related to those rolls (i.e. not something your PC is saying or doing) please do that in greyed out text - this is easiest to perform by typing this: [ color=grey ] text you want to ask about + roll [/color ] but without the spaces. It will turn out like this: Sample text + note. For further examples of what this should look like, please see this excellent play by post thread: wavemotion’s game.

The Out Of Character thread has been put up and in it you can ask questions, clarify rules, discuss things amongst yourselves (tactics, plans, etc.).

RULES FOR THE PLAY-BY-POST GAME:

1. Posting Schedule: players should post a minimum of once every 3 days. More is preferred, but I understand the difficulties of posting more than once every day or two. I will be online every day and will check and respond to anyone who has performed an action or asked a question.

2. If a player misses the posting deadline, the game will go on and that person will be skipped. If this happens in the middle of combat the PC misses their turn. If it happens during a role-playing or decision making point, then that PC is assumed to remain quiet and assent to whatever decision the other PCs have come to.

3. If a player knows they are going to be out of internet range for an extended period, they can arrange for another player to post for their PC if they feel it necessary. This is at the discretion of the two players and the DM will okay it with a word of approval from BOTH players.

4. This should go without saying in this group, but please be respectful towards your fellow players and the DM. This game is meant to be fun and I’d like to keep it that way. I know none of you really need this reminder, but it is better to have it as a general rule than not mention it.

5. I am basically running this Rules as Written, but there are probably small areas where I will change something or make a judgment call to house-rule something. I will let you know in advance if I do so, or it will be as a result of one of you asking about something.

6. Please feel free to ask me anything else that you would like to know.
12 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 1: Old Rumours

After some rough traveling, you all find yourself in the small village of Verge. The town is nestled at the base of the Black Peak Mountains where the Foamfire and Windrush Rivers meet. Verge is a small agricultural enclave surrounded by fields and farms, and you pass many of both as you come into town.

Today is the 28th day of Klaremont, the 6th month of the Karameikan year, and it is early summer - you have found yourself in Verge during a festive time. Verge is a predominantly Traladaran village and the populace there celebrate the Night of Fire!

On the Night of Fire, Verge traditionally holds an open air market with a carnival atmosphere. Around 7pm Lord and Lady Antonic, the current rulers of Verge, address the town with a speech celebrating the season. This is followed by the feast of Talbot and then much of the population settles down for a night of drinking and debauchery outside.

The Night of Fire is a celebration of the summer night. On this night, Traladarans of stout heart spend the night outdoors. Legend has it that grand flames will flicker above long-lost treasures, the likes of which most commoners can only dream about. Legends also hold that vampires and werewolves prowl the night, deflecting any treasure hunters that lack a true adventurer’s spirit.

You all arrive in town and find yourselves sitting down at the same outside table, about to partake in the Feast of Talbot. The table is rich with a healthy fare of nuts, fruits, cheeses, hearty fresh breads, and dried meats. A few tasty desert cakes are being passed around and a middle-aged man named Shorgit is telling the story of Talbot, for whom the feast is named.

"Talbot was the father of Rogahn the Fearless. It isn’t widely recognized, but both of them were born right here in Verge! Talbot was shamed when Rogahn left the town to fend for itself in the midst of a goblin raid. He was vindicated several years later when Rogahn and his companion Zelligar defended the entire northern region of what is now Karameikos from a huge barbarian horde." Shorgit takes a huge bite out of a dried mutton leg and continues to speak as he chews on the gristly meat.

"Talbot wanted Rogahn to return to Verge and become the town’s rightful ruler. He did his best, but was disappointed to learn that Rogahn, now known as The Fearless, and his counterpart Zelligar, whose moniker was The Unknown, planned to return to their hidden fortress." He pauses to drink down half a tankard of ale, "Nothing anyone said could make the two change their minds and after spending a week in town, they left once more. This time, though, they left with a pile of gold - Talbot had ensured that the two heroes were given lots of treasure from all over the land, to repay them for their defense of the region and help finance the completion of their fortress."

As he is about to go on, a man at the next table yells over, derisively, "Shorgit, are you telling that old tale again? When are you going to let it go? Leave these strangers be!" He then looks distinctly at your group of newcomers, "Shorgit likes to get new folk riled up with old stories and tales from the past - most of that stuff isn’t even true! He just likes to hear himself talk!" Roars of laughter issue forth from the other men at their table.

Shorgit turns to the man, "Ah, shut your hole Rickle, I’ll talk to who I want to talk to!" and then he turns back to you and continues the tale, "Ignore those drunkards, what I am telling you is the truth! I swear on me mother’s grave!" You see him furtively glance over at a table where several old women are sitting and talking.

He continues, "You see, Talbot was the one who got all the leaders of Karameikos to come together and give the heroes a proper reward for beating back the barbarians. After that, Talbot got a reputation for bein’ a diplomat of sorts. He started to travel around and help to make deals between dukes and such. Anyway... he would always come back on the Night of Fire because there was some importance to the night." Here, Shorgit pauses and looks around him. He leans in really close and says the following in a rough whisper, "Talbot said Rogahn told him he would return to Verge on the Night of Fire. Talbot came back every year for 15 years; he had become quite rich then and held a feast for everyone in town on the Night of Fire. One year he didn’t show up, and no-one ever saw him again. We’ve been having the Feast of Talbot ever since, waiting for him or Rogahn the Fearless to return!"

Someone calls Shorgit away from the table and he leaves you there to go attend to whatever needed his attention. The evening wears on and you are invited to stay in town for the evening, with the understanding that most townsfolk in town are staying outside at least for the beginning of the night.

If you would like to seek information or talk to any other townsfolk, let me know and I can tell you what you found out. YOu can also feel free to talk amongst yourselves and get to know each other or do any other actions as you please while it is still daylight. Otherwise we will move a couple of hours into the future and night falls...

Soon the sky grows dark and a last quarter moon rises into the night sky. An hour or so passes and much of the loud revelry has calmed. You hear some low conversations and some low snores from the other tents.

You hear a yell from an adjacent tent and several men stand up and look to the West. As you turn your gaze to follow theirs, you see 3 large, bright, fiery objects falling from the sky and landing in the mountains to the North-West. A few minutes later 3 or 4 more objects seem to fall from the sky and land in the mountains. More people are gathering around and looking skyward. By the time the third set of objects falls, there is a distinct constant glow among the mountains in the North-West. You hear murmurs about old rumors and false tales, and you hear Shorgit walking up through the crowd, "You See! I told you!"

Right now it is about 11pm and you have tents and bedrolls set up for a night’s sleep. Much of the town is still asleep, but several people are up and about, commenting on the strange lights in the sky. What do you want to do?
12 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eklin listened with rapt attention to the old man's story (It is ironic that I am nearly as old as this fellow and yet I am in the prime of my life), committing it to memory. Aside from its historical value, it had the potential to make a fine ballad with some work. Later while the others slept, something Eklin needed very little of, he would compose the first draft of the lyrics.

Later, as the stars fall from the sky and light up the mountains...
"Fascinating. Elvish legends speak of important events associated with the fall of a star. This, it would seem, portends something legendary, an event which I, and dare I say all of you, would be foolish to ignore."
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, whether the stories are true and this heralds the return of past heroes, or the legends of treasure and monsters are coming to pass, I'm determined to investigate." Grinning broadly, he calls out, "Who else is up for an adventure?"

Yevgeni packs up his small amount of kit, donning his armour in case of trouble, and gets ready to go.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
During the feast, Teancum remains in his seat; his eyes scanning over the group; trying to size each of them up. Even though he said very little, Teancum remained active in the various conversations, letting his senses take it all in. For his meal, he avoided the meat, partaking mostly from the vegetables and grains provided.

As night falls, he sits with his previous traveling companion, Elkin, and plays a few notes on a lute; trying to provide him with something adequate enough to back up his ballad.

As the lights descend from the heavens, Teancum squints, as if trying to get a better look. He wonders, for a moment, if perhaps this is a sign from Zirchev, showing him the path he should take. As he notices everyone else preparing for a journey, Teancum shoulders his own meager belongings and prepares to follow along.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog Boy wrote:
Thad tries to strike up a conversation with Rickles. Inquiring about the story Storgit told, why the story is so important for Storgit


Rickles is obviously a much younger man than Shorgit, though they both have the rough hands and leathery skin of men who have worked hard outdoors for many years. Rickles is also very drunk, but holds his ale sufficiently well to answer your questions without too much slurring.

"Oh that story is an old legend.. nothing but a fairy tale! He tells it every year - each time more embellished than the last. He's an old fool and wants to believe in the heroes of Verge." The word heroes was said with much distaste and the sentence was followed by a loud, deep belch. The men at Rickles' table, obviously good friends to him, laugh and slap him on the back at the end of the belch. He turns back to you.

"Pay no attention to that old man - he is living in a time that no longer exists. Talbot, Rogahn, and all the rest of the people he talks about have been dead for decades - Talbot was dead before I was even born!. Shorgit is a just a fool. He wants to think some outside hero is gonna come and defend us against the duke and his Thyatian thugs." At this point, Rickles starts to stand and almost falls backwards. He slaps away the man to his left who tries to help him regain his balance and staggers over to a tree at the far side of the courtyard. You see him face away and begin to urinate on the tree.

Another man at the table nods toward Rickles and says to you, "Don't worry about him, he has a... dislike of Shorgit that has nothing to do with Talbot. I don't want to bore you with the details, but young Rickles was sweet on Elisa, Shorgit's daughter, and Shorgit didn't approve of the marriage. You'd do best to steer clear of that hornet's nest. If you don't take sides you'll be better off." The man introduces himself as Gelen, village Proctor.

Dog Boy wrote:
who actually pays for feast since Talbot has been missing. If Rogahn is the right full ruler of Verge, how did Lord and Lady Antonic became the ruler of Verge.


"Sir Retameron Antonic pays for the Feast of Talbot every year. This is his home town and, according to town scholars, his mother actually knew Talbot. Despite what Shorgit likes to imply, Rogahn The Fearless is not the rightful ruler of Verge. The Duke assigned this land to Lord and Lady Antonic as a reward for some help they gave to him, and because it is better for Verge to have the protection of a Knight of the Court. Since they were granted this small fief, Verge has done well and hasn't suffered a single brigand attack or goblin raid. The Duke trusts them, and the people of Verge do so as well." Gelen looks around and spots Rickles passed out in the brush next to the trees.

He nods to you and says, "Now, if you'll allow me to depart, I will go help my brother into a more comfortable bed." He nods to the rest of the group and to the other tables as he walks by.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At the table
Blane loved the Night of Fire. It was the only time he could get a taste of Old Lady Glenda’s special pies. She lived too far in the opposite direction of Blane’s father’s farm to make a trip just for a pie. But she always brought several to the feast. Blane had heard the tales of Talbot and Rogahn before, but still loved to hear them. Blane liked to believe these tales, as the many others he had heard, were true but he also knew many in Verge did not believe them.

As Shortgit spoke, Blane chewed the last bites of the piece of Old Lady Glenda’s pie he had. Having thoroughly stuffed himself with the offerings of the Feast, Blane had no more room for food and contented himself with studying his new found friends. They all seemed nice enough and he had a good feeling about them. He knew better than to stare, but he was simply fascinated by Eklin’s ears. Also, he could not help but sheepishly glance across at Visya. Blane didn’t find her beautiful per se, but something about her drew his attention. She was just so... tough? At least compared to what Blane had seen in the local girls.

After Shortggit left Blane sat quietly hoping the others might talk about their travels.

That Night
Blane’s excitement, at the possibility of traveling out of Verge soon, kept him awake as he lay in a grassy field on the edge of town. When the commotion started Blane jumped up to see what was about. Upon seeing the lights, Blane quickly ran to find his new friends not thinking to grab any of his gear.

Blane saw Yevgeni and Elkin talking to each other as well as others gathering. He ran up to hear Yevgeni say, "Who else is up for an adventure?"

"Do we really think traveling at night is a good idea?", Blane asked with a little trepidation in his voice.


Edit: typos/grammar
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya is quite talkative during dinner, happily telling everyone of her "shearing" and journey northward (the several different times she mentions it each involve rather different stories), and showing a keen interest in the stories of others - she asks all of her neighbors a great deal about their childhoods and is especially fascinated by stories of life in the countryside.

Her eyes light up at Shorgit's tale, and she is clearly quite taken by it. She gives his heckler a dirty look, and her eyes shine at the tale of success. After dinner, she happily wanders the crowd, telling stories of Talbot and Rogahn's further adventures that she claims are told of them in Specularum. Strangely, most involve helping orphans and exacting hilarious but often deadly revenge on greedy orphans. All paint the pair in a very favorable light, but even those who are entertained can tell that she knows little of the true heroes.

After the starfall, Visya can barely contain her excitement and follows her friend Yevgeni around, encouraging an immediate departure to investigate. She is in fact so eager that she volunteers to fetch the supplies of anyone who left theirs behind.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nod sits with a smile on his face, eating and drinking and generally enjoying the stories being told. He's reminded of the summer festivals held in his village and he feels right at home here. Thinking upon this he wonders if all small villages aren't cut from a pattern. On the one hand it would be comforting to know that you could essentially fit in no matter where you go. The pattern of life would carry on in one town very much as it did in another half way round the world.

On the other, that would be vaguely depressing... Nothing truly new to see or experience once you've gotten the basic rhythms of the world down. They'd simply be variations on a theme and, eventually, come to resemble each other and be... well... Boring.

Disturbed by these thoughts he excused himself from the table to walk around the village a bit in an attempt to keep himself interested. Try to see the uniqueness of this place. Eventually he ends up sitting on a large stump with a drink in his hand staring at the mountains in the west. Wondering at the incredible diversity of each peak yet the homogeneity of the range as a whole and whether Katie was thinking about him or if she was dancing with Isaak the stupid jerk...

When the sky lights up and things start falling, lighting up the mountains he sits up very intently. Trying to get the image burned into his mind so he can sketch it with his supplies back in his tent he wanders over to where the others are gathered.

"Well now... Isn't this interesting? Yevgeni, I'll certainly help you see what it's all about. Hold on just a sec though while I go and fetch my sketching supplies and stuff. I've got to get an image of this down and show it to Smee when I get back!

Blane, I'm sure it's fine. What could go wrong?

You all wait just a bit, I'll be right back!"


With that he runs to grab his supplies.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrad tucks into the feast with great gusto. After all, it's been a hard week on the road, and now the food is not only plentiful, but someone else is paying! That's just the way he likes it. He is sat next to Nod, whom he met on the journey, but is soon chatting to everyone, telling them stories about life as a mercenary, and listening to their tales.

He listens to Shorgit's story with polite interest, but considering how unlikely it sounds, and Rickle's derision, he dismisses it as another old wives' tale.

After dinner, Anrad will enquire of his new friends of their onward plans from Verge, and attempt to locate some work from either them or the townsfolk.

Night falls.
'Moradin's beard! Maybe the old fellow was right after all' Anrad mutters to himself, seeing the fires falling out of the sky.

'Nod, Yevgeni, Blane, you seem learned fellows. Know you of this strange occurrence in your lore?'

Seeing the others suiting up, Anrad will do likewise (it always does to be prepared, after all), but at the same time will try to inject some reason into the proceedings:

'I have to agree, Blane. Whatever those things are, they'll still be there come morn. Unless anyone has reason to think they represent immediate danger, I see no reason to be rushing off now. Besides, where's the profit in investigating these things for the sake of them?'
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching the rag-tag group forming on the edge of town, Teancum wonders if his Brothers at the monastery had journeyed in such a group. Regardless, he was sure such a band would afford plenty of opportunities to learn about various culture, as well as adventures; while providing a relative modicum of safety. Only a foolish man thought he could do everything by himself.

Hearing the small arguments about searching out the lights, Teancum finally offers a few words. We do not know how long the lights will remain. By traveling now, the lights would could act as a beacon, allowing us to quickly locate them. However, travel by night can be dangerous; especially if it is hasty.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam had been rambling, directionless and alone for at least a couple of weeks. The word of a feast in Verge was enough to get him to stay for another day at least.

During the feast Sam watches and listens, his mouth being occupied with the more important ascpects of feasting: chewing and drinking. He was always fascinated by old stories and legends, and chewed more slowly, even stopping once or twice, as Shorgit related his tale.

He spoke little to his feasting companions, except to say, "pass the salt, please" or "more pickle please!" now and then.

Quote:
Yevgeni says, "Who else is up for an adventure?"

"Do we really think traveling at night is a good idea?", Blane asks.


At the broad invitation to go explore something with others, Sam looks sadly at the feasting table and ambles over. Suppressing a soft belch and still savouring a last slab of bread and meat, Sam speaks up, "I'll go, too, please! Don't you think we'll need to take some of this food with us, though?"
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"The food won't keep Sam so stuff your gullet before we leave and take something a bit more appropriate for the road." Eklin says, filling a water skin and selecting a few choice pieces of fruit.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly tipsy Visya chuckles at Sam's concerns. "And don't forget the drinks!" Then, looking over her companions, "And traveling by darkness does have its advantages - whatever happened over there, we may be able to creep up on it all quiet-like. Though not if you all are going to clank along like organ grinders!"

Sorry if organ grinders aren't time-appropriate....

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suddenly noticing everyone is suited up and he stand there in nothing more than a loose shirt and pantaloons, Blane says, "I'll be right back.", and runs off to collect his things. He returns, a few moments later, clumsily carrying all his gear. "I still think night travel might be unwise, but if y'all're going, I'm going too."
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
'Nod, Yevgeni, Blane, you seem learned fellows. Know you of this strange occurrence in your lore?'

"I've not heard of fires such as this falling from the skies, that I can recall. However the Immortals work in strange ways, and this seems at least a sign of something important. What I can say is that I've heard some more of the tales of Rogahn and Zelligar, but that's a conversation that I'll save for the road if you're coming.

"As to whether we should go now during the night or wait until morning, I could preach about heroes versus cowards but it would be pure rhetoric. It comes down to this: if there's glory or treasure to be had, then if you don't go now someone else will get there before you and you'll miss out; and if there's a danger coming, I would personally rather protect Verge by stopping it quickly than waiting for it to reach the people of the town while we sleep."


Yevgeni excuses himself from the group briefly, and wanders through the crowd for a bit. He shakes some hands and exchanges some words with various bystanders, encouraging them and ensuring that he and his fellows will be back soon with any news. And he reaches the edge of the crowd, you may notice that he leans in closer to whisper to one particular fellow, a short man in his late teens wearing workman's clothes.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visya's eyes light up when Yevgeni mentions the possibility of heroism and glory, but then her eyes darken as he mentions danger to Verge. "Danger to these poor folk? Hadn't even occurred to me...."

After a moment's reverie she shrugs and brightens before turning to look for Yevgeni. "Now where did that boy run off to? There are stories to hear - and to make!"
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If ye're all fer goin' ta see where the stars come down to touch the ground, like we've seen tonight" *burp* "I'm all for it. Most I've seen is a bit of foolery by traveling wizards and the like."

Sam pauses as he takes a wholesome last bite of his sandwich.

"Well, then. I'm done for now, I'd like to see what's out there with the rest of ye."

Sam seems to be completely oblivious to the word 'danger'.

"I'm all for hearing more stories, but more like I'd like to see 'em. Up close and real and all."
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nod comes up bearing his pack and staff to hear the others discussing a trek out to the glowing things.

I'm all for taking off sooner rather than later. I want to see what it is before it burns off or... Walks off... Maybe...

Huh.

Well, any case, I'd like to see what it's all about. I've heard of such things happening but I've sure never got to see it myself. It may be very important to our understanding of why these things occur.

And if it does have some bearing on the future examining it while it's fresh might could tell us something about that as well. Not unlike checking the way scat feels and smells when you're on the hunt for a buck.

Come on! Who wants to go smell it with me?

I'll just uh.. Take up a position in the middle. You know, to uh, be ready for any contingency.


Looking around and seeming slightly put off by the fact that it's awfully late and really dark Nod grips his staff a bit tighter but seems none the less ready to go.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
'Nod, Yevgeni, Blane, you seem learned fellows. Know you of this strange occurrence in your lore?'

"I've not heard of fires such as this falling from the skies, that I can recall. However the Immortals work in strange ways, and this seems at least a sign of something important. What I can say is that I've heard some more of the tales of Rogahn and Zelligar, but that's a conversation that I'll save for the road if you're coming.

"As to whether we should go now during the night or wait until morning, I could preach about heroes versus cowards but it would be pure rhetoric. It comes down to this: if there's glory or treasure to be had, then if you don't go now someone else will get there before you and you'll miss out; and if there's a danger coming, I would personally rather protect Verge by stopping it quickly than waiting for it to reach the people of the town while we sleep."


'Protect Verge? Very worthy, my noble Cleric, but some of us aren't as selfless as you *chuckles*. I would hope that if they need defending, the good citizens will put their coin where their cries for help are.'

Anrad surveys the company. Nod, Blane, Visya, these young humans so keen to head out there into the wilderness, at night, desparate for adventure, and with no idea what they might run into or how to face it. He reflects that apart from the Elf, he's considerably older than the rest of them, and at the moment appears to be coming across as the voice of wisdom, despite the presence of two clerics. He sighs.

'Look at ye selves. Hardly a proper suit of armor or a sword between ye, Thad excepted' Anrad nods, acknowledging a fellow warrior.'Do you know what's out there at night? Neither do I, but I know verily that ye are not equipped to face it. Ye require stout men and Dwarves at arms to protect ye armourless sneaks and wizards. Like old Anrad here. And I be not going without the promise of gold.'

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nod gives Anrad, Blane and Thad a once up and down. Their armor and weapons are the rival of any he'd seen in his village and then some.

Anrad, I don't feel too bad about traveling about with the likes of you, Blane and Thad. You seem more than good for giving back to those that might seek to turn us away from those lights up there. I will admit I've not much in the way of fighting skill.
Who are we kidding... I've never won a fight in my life.

Still, I've got a bit of a trick up my sleeve if it comes to that.


He goes over the words and processes involved in the Magic Missile spell in his mind over and over again. It was one of the first spells taught to him by Smee, his mentor, master and friend. It had served him well scaring off wild dog packs around the village so far. He had no doubt it would serve him well in the unlikely event they would encounter similar animals on the way to explore the glowing lights in the hills that had fallen from the sky.

As he does he scans the rest of the small group arrayed about him....
Some of them are armed and armored like soldiers but much more rough and ready than others he's seen. Some are dressed simply but have a grace of movement that is both alluring and frightening. From some he can sense... Something... He feels a power from them that's hidden. And he recognizes it as the power he himself wields. Or, at least, the power that he hopes some day to wield.

Looking about him in this way he becomes calm. He realizes that these people are able to handle themselves in ugly situations. He feels rather out of place and more than a little self conscious. He's never been in a fight and simply wants to see the world and it's wonders.

It dawns on him that they may know something that he does not.

Never the less... He has made a promise. To his parents. More importantly, to Smee. And most importantly to himself.
He will explore this world. See what is what. Find out how it works and why.
And he will find his place within it come what may.

A thought occurs....

Anrad, you spoke of the promise of gold. Do you recall what was told to us around the feast table? "Legend has it that grand flames will flicker above long-lost treasures, the likes of which most commoners can only dream about."

Couldn't it be that on this night, the Night of Fire, the legend that Storgit tells every year comes true?
Couldn't it be possible that your "promise of gold" is writ bold across the skyline out there in the very fires of the night?

Of course... it was also said, "Legends hold that vampires and werewolves prowl the night, deflecting any treasure hunters that lack a true adventurer’s spirit."

But, surely! That's not you or me? Nor none of these good folk here, prepped as they look for a siege of the mighty citadel? What more "adventurer's spirit" do we need than what we got right here?

Pfft! Vampires and werewolves anyway. Who never heard of such stuff comin' down in a party for a night? Rubbish!

Let's go, you all! There's true treasure out there! Maybe it's just for book writers like myself... But it happnin' on the Night of Fire, well! It seems likely there's a bit much more to it than that, don't you think?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
'Look at ye selves. Hardly a proper suit of armor or a sword between ye, Thad excepted' Anrad nods, acknowledging a fellow warrior.'Do you know what's out there at night? Neither do I, but I know verily that ye are not equipped to face it. Ye require stout men and Dwarves at arms to protect ye armourless sneaks and wizards. Like old Anrad here. And I be not going without the promise of gold.'


Visya rolls her eyes at the dwarf's words. "You may be old enough to be my grandfather, but I'm bettin' you haven't survived the streets of Specularum on a moonless night. The wilderness don't hold a candle to that.

"But still - I'll let you stand in front. You'll provide some nice cover for those of us with bows," she continues with a wink and a friendly smile.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nod looks around to those assembled.

Are we agreed then? Shall we set out now, during the night, to see what we can see? Should we go check out these fires on the mountains during the Night of Fire with the idea that they may be more elusive or could prove to be nothing come the day? I say, Yes! We should.

Doubtless, there are others from villages near by that may get it in their heads to do the same. Why should they get the spoils, whether they be gold or simply the prestige of discovering something new? Why not us? LET'S GO!

All in favor? March with us and let us depart!

Now!


Nod takes a few strides towards the hills in the distance and then glances back to see if anyone follows....
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When Yevgeni returns to the group, he is holding a rolled-up parchment.

Assuming Anrad is convinced as well, and we're therefore all in agreement... "Excellent, let us indeed be on our way. I have here a map of part of the locality that may prove useful." As the group goes on its way, he formally introduces himself: "My name is Yevgeni Petrov. I'm from around Verge myself, so I'm happy to expand on Shorgit's tales as some of you seem like you're from more distant parts."
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:

Visya rolls her eyes at the dwarf's words. "You may be old enough to be my grandfather, but I'm bettin' you haven't survived the streets of Specularum on a moonless night. The wilderness don't hold a candle to that.


Anrad thinks back to his own childhood on the streets of Threshold, and wonders if he should disabuse young Visya of the notion that all Dwarfs live in mountains and mine for gold. He decides perhaps now is not the best time, seeing as the party seems to be moving out, with or without him.

Anrad then notices Nod heading off into the dark, and mutters to himself:"Hmmm. Maybe young Nod was right. If the tales of lights are true, maybe the tales of treasure are, too. And it wouldn't do for the treasure to go to a bunch of humans and an Elf, with no share for the Dwarf."

Raising his voice after Nod, he calls"Oh, very well, I'll come. But get back here, young Nod, and let those of us who are armoured, and who can spot dangers ahead, take the lead."

Anrad will then discuss the marching order. It seems to him that he and Thad, one cleric and either the thief or the mystic (with their skills at spotting traps and other dangers) should take the lead, while Nod and the bow armed Sam and Visya should hang back, protected by the other cleric. Eklin, being the most versatile, should maybe cover the rear.

As the party readies to move out, he beckons to Yevgeni."Aye, Yevgeni, I would like to hear more. Maybe you could expound on the part of the tale that concerns the fabulous treasure", he grins.

OOC: I don't think Anrad can necessarily tell the difference between halflings and small humans, so Sam shouldn't take it personally that Anrad is just referring to humans and elves...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.