Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Dread
S1: Tomb of Horrors
StoryCube: The Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Coriolis Icon Cards
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
Terror in Talabheim
CthulhuTech
The Elven Crystals
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Doors to Darkness
Rockalypse
Kids on Bikes
Escape the Underdark
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
The Lost Eclairs of Zero
Strongholds & Followers
Star Frontiers
Book 18: Rebel Planet
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Cabin Fever
Dominion Rules 3.X Rulebook
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Alone Against the Flames
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Achtung! Cthulhu Crossover Series: Elder Godlike
Apocalypse World 2nd Edition
Coriolis: The Third Horizon
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
The Dying Ship
Aram's Ravine
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Ironsworn
Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Odd Soot
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,529 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Elfquest» Forums » Reviews

Subject: What went wrong with Elfquest? One of the authors comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll make this simple. In the 1980s, Wendy and Richard Pini came to Chaosium with the idea that we (Chaosium) would do an RPG based on their comic books, all about heroic elves and adventures.

We met with them, and it took a while to get Wendy on board. She REALLY didn't "get" roleplaying. When she heard that gamers would be allowed to change her storylines, and interact with, or even marry or kill her characters, she reacted very negatively. We explained the situation and eventually she understood. I think. Richard certainly got the picture from early on, and he helped soothe her. Now I look back and it is pretty funny. I suspect what was happening was that she was looking at roleplaying as if it was a film version or something of her works, and she wanted it to remain pristine.

Anyway off we went to do the game. None of us were particularly Elfquest fans at the start. I read all the comics (only the one series then published), and so did the rest of us. Steve Perrin was assigned to be the main rules writer. And here he made one of his few mistakes.

Steve was ALSO designing the third edition Runequest game at the time. Frankly, doing two full-fledged RPGs at the same time is beyond anybody's power, so Steve simplified his task by using Elfquest as a test bed for the Runequest III mechanics.

The problem here was that Runequest III was a hard-core second- or third-generation roleplaying game with lots of fun little rules about critical hits and stat bonuses, and fatigue etc. etc. That was perfect for Steve's gaming group.

But the theoretical fan base of an Elfquest roleplaying game were not hard core at all, at least judging by Wendy Pini! So 14 year old girls who wanted to be an elf maid, were stuck with character stats such as "Constitution". There was even a Sanity-like mechanism in the game, echoing Call of Cthulhu.

Now the Elfquest game always had a potentially limited market - after all, it would presumably only sell to those who were fans of both Elfquest comics and roleplaying games. Now with these rules, the market was further limited to hardcore roleplayers among the EQ fans, and so the game sales, while initially promising, rapidly faded away as word of mouth got around.

As I said, I don't really blame Steve. Probably we should have had spit up the design work between the two games. Note that I am NOT saying I should have been on Elfquest - I was way too busy writing Cthulhu supplements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your anecdote about Wendy is interesting, in the light of a similar, but allegedly much stronger, reaction from JK Rowling.

I had zero interest in Elfquest. Living in a small town in the UK I had never even heard of the comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Non Sequitur
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw one of these in a second-hand bookshop a few months ago. It seemed like a bit of a train wreck...

Did anybody realise at the time that the rules were a little too chunky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been four years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
happysmellyfish wrote:

In 1984, "chunky" rules were hot. It just seemed like the natural thing to do in those days. Very few companies were looking at keeping it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sandy. I don't think the White Dwarf review I read at the time really commented on the disconnect between the setting and rules. I think they were appreciative of the stories that the RPG could tell. Maybe the idea was that the GM would be an older brother / parent? Any comments about Larry Niven's Ringworld?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Non Sequitur
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
happysmellyfish wrote:

In 1984, "chunky" rules were hot. It just seemed like the natural thing to do in those days. Very few companies were looking at keeping it simple.

Yup, that's what I assumed. Makes you wonder what further blind spots are lurking in the collective gamer mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happysmellyfish wrote:
sos1 wrote:
happysmellyfish wrote:

Yup, that's what I assumed. Makes you wonder what further blind spots are lurking in the collective gamer mind.

Many, I'm sure. Our advantage now is that with far more experience and connectedness the cycle time on evolution is a lot quicker.

To the OP, this is a great little anecdote, thanks for sharing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EQ just came at a bad time. The "percentile system" era of RPGs were alternatives to the D&D d20 system, but just as embedded in crunchy combat-oriented roleplaying. I think EQ needed a rules light rpg, with emphasis on roleplaying over roleplaying.

I think, had ElfQuest been published today, Atlas Game's 14-year-old-girl-friendly "Once Upon a Time" would be a good fit. I'm pretty sure OUAT can be adapted so you "play a character" more like RPGs.

Thanks for the articles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I realized that EQ was WAY too complex and argued for a simpler game. But my Cassandra was bypassed I think at least in part because some people (no longer at Chaosium) simply didn't care that much about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Rascher
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
You know, all of this talk about using a licensed property as a test bed for another game system reminds me of WOTC's Star Wars RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Havard Blackmoor
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting! ElfQuest was one of the first RPGs I GMed. I think Mr Petersen is a bit too harsh on his creation though. We had alot of fun with the game. I do agree that there is room for improvement however. I posted some ideas for improving the game at The Piazza:

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=15233&p=...

Thanks again for posting these thoughts!

-Havard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.