Legacy of Dragonholt
Xas Irkalla
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Blades in the Dark
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
Fall of Magic
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Good Society: A Jane Austen Role-Playing Game
Knights & Legends
Complete Gunslinger
Fey Folio
SPACERS Core
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Curse of Strahd
The Skeletons
M-Space
Kids on Bikes
Woodfall
Knights & Legends the Rogue Priest Expansion and Campaign
Changeling: The Lost Second Edition
City
Red Bat Cthulhu
The Santa Lands
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
MJ1: Media Junkie: Take One
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Clash of the Princes
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Assault on the Goblin Hold
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Adventurer's Guide
Index Card RPG Core
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Maria in Three Parts
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Scum and Villainy
The Vaults of K'Horror
Dungeon Delve Adventure #2: Dungeons of the Dread Wyrm
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
El Tesoro de Córdoba
All That Glitters is Palladium: A Short History of Palladium Books
Monarchies of Mau Guide's Screen
Mother's Maze
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Gamemastering» Forums » General

Subject: It is pure gold and it is free! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on people! Grab it! Absolutely wonderful. Tons of advice for game masters. And the e-book is freely available!

http://www.gamemastering.info/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wholeheartedly agree. This is the best resource that I have ever read on being a GM. It has helped me more than any rulebook, sourcebook, or module. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a good look at this last night - well written and lots of good advice. As a free PDF and a reasonably priced physical book on Amazon, this is a good read. The author, Brian, was kind enough to provide me with a nice quality cover image for our database.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing this one out. Well written general guides for gaming are hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Friesen
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded this last night, and read it before bed. My brain was in over-drive before I finally fell asleep. Ideas were spinning on how to even better engage my characters in a campaign that I will be starting in a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greylond Aston
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
330 pages? Nope, ,a lot less than that. Many blank pages and many blank Half Pages, very poor layout. Could have been condensed down, a lot.

At the beginning the author says that he had never found a "GM Book." What, never heard of the AD&D 1st Edition DMG? Now that had a lot of good GM advice in it.

First off the "Misconceptions" listed at the beginning are simply wrong. "Misconception #1" lists Competitive play of GM vs Players as being wrong, sorry but it is a perfectly valid playstyle that has many groups playing like this. It is IMO better than cooperative play. Adversity makes players better Roleplayers and tacticians. Cooperative play makes for lazy players who know that no matter what they do, they'll always survive if the plot requires it.

Biased against Wargamers? I guess the author wouldn't have played with Gygax and Arenson. I'm a Wargamer and a RolePlayer. Many others, including many award winning game designers, are.

The whole section on creating a world/society has been done many times, and much better in RPGs starting with AD&D but I've seen better than this book in other games also.

Generating Random Characters is a bad idea? Sorry, once again this is wrong. Any roleplayer can role play a character that they design themselves. Someone who is very good at roleplaying can take random rolls and create a good, and memorable character that is very fun to play.

"Never use a Lethal Trap on a Player Character", what? If a player knows this then where is the sense of danger from a Lethal Trap? What's the point of even having one then if it is not Lethal?

Mazes are a sign of "Weak Game Design"? Again, what? Players love mazes, I know I do. It's another way of presenting a Puzzle. If puzzle aren't fun, why do people play with them?

I couldn't get half way through this book. Worst GM advice book I've ever read. I would say that it is worth the price I paid for it, i.e. Free, but then again I feel like I wasted time reading it that I could never get back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Well, it describes a style of play that is mostly no longer relevant to me, but taking that as a given, I liked it. Some good ideas, and I'm always down to read someone else's take on the craft.

In a perfect world, he would have had a lot more experience about other styles of play beyond the traditional one. In a perfect world, I'd have the time and energy to write a book half as good as that. So there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Well, it describes a style of play that is mostly no longer relevant to me, but taking that as a given, I liked it. Some good ideas, and I'm always down to read someone else's take on the craft.

That is how I read this book. I didn't agree with everything the author said, but I definitely understood his point of view. If your group wants character death and dungeon crawls then that is what you should do. The one thing that this book helped me with was that it gave me the ability to spend less time planning and still come up with relevant and fun adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greylond Aston
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
My objection to it isn't that he is describing his preferred style of play, but he's saying that GM vs. Players or "Neutral GM" is somehow "Wrong" and "Bad GMing" or "Weak Game Design" when it isn't because there are award winning game designers and the Founders/Creators of RPGs that were exactly that style of GM. What he's saying is that Gygax and Arneson were Bad GMs and Bad Game Designers.

Plus, the Layout and Editing of the book look more like a first draft submission than a finished product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greylond wrote:
My objection to it isn't that he is describing his preferred style of play, but he's saying that GM vs. Players or "Neutral GM" is somehow "Wrong" and "Bad GMing" or "Weak Game Design" when it isn't because there are award winning game designers and the Founders/Creators of RPGs that were exactly that style of GM. What he's saying is that Gygax and Arneson were Bad GMs and Bad Game Designers.

Plus, the Layout and Editing of the book look more like a first draft submission than a finished product.

I hear you. One of the things that I like about rpgs is that people can personalize the game and style of play so much. The book definitely leans towards a narrative style of play and the author does make quite a few judgement calls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jux_ wrote:
Come on people! Grab it! Absolutely wonderful. Tons of advice for game masters. And the e-book is freely available!

http://www.gamemastering.info/

I agree, but I was trying to find the link to recommend someone else download it, and I couldn't find it!

Does anyone know where a direct link to download this is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Seriously?
http://www.gamemastering.info/media/171/download/Gamemasteri...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.