No Thank You, Evil!
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Epyllion
DnD 5e Condition Cards
Stellar Adventures
H1: Keep on the Shadowfell
The Mountain Witch
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Beyond the Mountains of Madness
GAZ1: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos
Black9 Ops
Diaspora
Dark Sun Campaign Setting
Hammerfast: A Dwarven Outpost Adventure Site
Hyperlite: The Sirius Treaty (UNE Edition)
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
The Slumbering Tsar Saga (Pathfinder Version)
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Dune RULBUK
Aokigahara
Fafnir's Treasure (2nd Edition)
Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok: Core Rulebook (2nd Edition)
Blades in the Dark
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Maelstrom (tabletop)» Forums » General

Subject: Share a Game: Maelstrom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Share_a_Game [+] [View All]
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Share a Game is an RPG Geek initiative in which knowledgeable users volunteer to spend a week hosting a thread about a particular game and answer any questions about that game. This thread will have a week in the spotlight, but will always remain active if you stumble across it later.

For more information, including volunteering to host a game yourself, or to request a particular game that you would like to know more about, see the wiki page: Share a Game. And in order to receive notifications when new threads are posted, subscribe to the GeekList: Share a Game

Maelstrom (tabletop)

The elevator pitch: Adventure and intrigue in the time of the Tudors, with MAGIC!

In the mid-1980s the Fighting Fantasy phenomenon kicked off and caught the attention of gamers and newcomers alike. The concept meant that you could enjoy fantasy and science fiction adventures with more interaction than simply reading a book, but you didn't need to have a whole group of friends round like you did with Dungeons & Dragons. Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, having already revolutionised the role playing hobby in the UK with the founding of Games Workshop, had struck another rich vein of potential with solo gaming. Keen to take advantage of the wave of interest, Penguin books sought out new books to capture the same audience; and, a 16-year-old with aspirations to write had just suggested the possibility of cramming a whole role playing game into a single, simple paperback volume.

Maelstrom presents a whole game packed into a single paperback volume, slightly larger than a Fighting Fantasy game book - closer to the format used by Corgi when they repackaged Tunnels & Trolls or the Cretan Chronicles published by Puffin, also in the mid-1980s. The book provided all the guidance and mechanics you needed to get the game running for the first time, with numerous atmospheric line drawings and an evocative painted cover image of travellers facing off against armed and armoured guardsmen that spoke volumes about the potential adventure ahead.

System

The game uses both six-sided and ten-sided dice, so presupposes that the potential audience would have either tried role playing before or have access to a store that sold ten-side dice (though, you could always improvise with a pack of cards, stripped of royalty).

The essential mechanic of the system, the Saving Throw, boils down to making percentile rolls versus a specific attribute, with a value equal or less indicating success. The average character starts with a score of 30 in all abilities, so you need to roll 30 or less on the roll of a d100. Core attributes, somewhat oddly, include both raw abilities, like Perception and Endurance, as well as learned, and quite narrow, abilities like Attack Skill and Defence Skill.

In the basic version of the game, the player tests abilities with Saving Throws, either to simply roll equal or less for success or to succeed while an opponent fails in a conflict situation. A character can achieve incredible degrees of success with either a roll of 5 or lower (a critical success) or a roll of 95 or above (a critical failure). Age, an element of the character generation system, sets a ceiling on the upper limits of abilities.

A quarter of the book, both in the player and Referee sections, deals with the Livings that shape what a character has done before the first adventure begins, the shape of their live, background, and education. A character might be a Noble, Professional, Craftsperson, Trader, Labourer, Mercenary, Rogue, Priest, Travelling Player, Mage or Herbalist. The choice determines the length of their apprentice, their key attributes, special skill-related crunch, and equipment.

Alexander Scott wrote the Maelstrom combat system to embrace the brutality and lethality of battle. The player records each wound sustained separately, and in turn must recover from each separately. Moreover, in the extended Advanced rules a character can suffer bleeding from serious wounds or special, and serious, wounds from sharp or blunt weapons.

A final key element that sets the game apart from the otherwise pure historical setting is magic. Scott wanted to include something flexible and easy to manage, that didn’t require constant reference to spell lists but would add an important supernatural something to the setting of the game. The Maelstrom represents a chaotic and otherworldly force from which magic – the means to subvert and distort reality – comes. Through a combination of Knowledge – knowing the right incantation – and Will – having the strength to bind magical forces into material form – a Mage could create almost any effect. However, the greater the shift in reality, the harder the Mage need to work to form and control the spell.

Setting

Aside from the cover and internal art, plus a brief mention of the intended sixteenth century period, the background for Maelstrom extends to just three pages – the Lie of the Land.

However, in terms of guidance and setting, the two adventures in the book, one solo and the other group targeted, further expanded on the background, but only tangentially. Effectively, the game depends on the Referee and players to know anything at all about the Tudor period, which might have been a reasonable assumption given the target audience of school children keen to get into gaming for the first step. The Livings provide a point of view, a little window into the past and the sort of people populating it; but the book never comes over as a historical textbook or a guide to the reign of the Tudors. In many ways, the Setting comes over as implied rather than implicit.

On the other hand, that very subtly, the approach of weaving the background around the adventures, the examples, and dotted within the text, means Maelstrom never comes across as a dry read. A player picking up the system for the first time doesn’t need to feel that the game they play has to be set in any particular historical time period – anytime when you might have wielded a sword and shield will suffice.

The book contains reference to using the game for completely different periods, including science fiction, and the system might very well be simple enough to make that a possibility. Really, out of the box, the rules provide material and mechanics to support gaming in history, and I’ve used it to run games in other centuries further back into the Medieval period and the Dark Ages.

Inspiring Herbal

While the background for the game might have been scant, leaving it very much up to the Referee to know something of the proposed sixteenth-century Tudor backdrop, the book did provide a wealth of material specifically to support the Herbalist character. Spread across a dozen pages, the Maelstrom book detailed sixty-one herbs with both medicinal and insidious purpose.

While Alexander Scott had specifically avoided providing spell lists so as not to detract from the essentially historical background of the game or demand constant reference to the rules, here he provided a herbalist's equivalent with entries ranging from the powerful and expensive All-Heale, through to the esoteric Mountain Setwall that grew hair on the eyes of the unsuspecting.

Publication History

The game originally appeared in 1984 and sold well enough to have a fresh print run in the following year. The publisher also had a translation made into Japanese. Despite the relative popularity of the book, Maelstrom received no particular publicity and no additional books followed.

For more than 20 years, the only source for those interested lay in the secondary market, with copies selling for anything from £10 - £20. In 2008, Arion Games acquired the rights to publish the book, selling a scanned PDF through online sites and a bound volume through Lulu - and, more recently, Cubicle 7.

Support

With the republication by Arion Games the market for Maelstrom reopened. Since re-emerging in PDF format, Arion Games has followed up the main game book with:

The Maelstrom Companion - A volume that extends various elements of the core system, including new livings for characters, new character details, information on using firearms, alchemy, alcohol and surgery. The book also includes chapters on campaigns, expanded magic, the Church, and the town and population of Bury St Edmunds.

Maelstrom Quarterly - of which two editions have been released. The first dealt with Tournaments; and, the second issue covered Inns and Taverns.

Two adventures - 'Strange Days in Nayland' that deals with the investigation of a curse, and 'The Sward and the Stone' where the characters help a merchant transport a wagon of goods from Swansea to Pembroke, a load that includes an oddly engraved stone.

Arion Games has a Maelstrom section on the site, runs a forum, which includes a section for Maelstrom, and also sells a Maelstrom-themed set of paper miniatures, for those who like to have a battle mat or a point of physical reference for their character.

What I Liked

Quite often when a person remembers Maelstrom at all, they remember it for the extensive herbal or the novel and flexible magic system that always reminds me, at least, of a savagely stripped down version of that used in Ars Magica. Maelstrom embodied a game that included more complexity than a simple game book without overpowering with multiple manuals or reams of reference.

I have obviously given specific reference to the herbal already, but this little slice of reference has served me time and again as a quick point of reference. A simple, effective piece of flavourful fluff that both supports one of the character options, but also gives a little colour for the game setting, too.

Here in just 295 pages you have a simple game, a mini-solo game book, a group adventure, a herbal (yes… again!), and quite a bit of crunch and guidance – a book that could fit in a coat pocket. At the time it cost £1.95 – and now it doesn’t cost a great deal more. In the mid-1980s, Maelstrom represented incredible value for money and an ideal stepping-stone up from Fighting Fantasy and its ilk.

What I Didn’t Like

Despite relative success, the game never got the support it deserved on its original release. Now, Arion Games have got the chance to correct that somewhat – but at the time the Referee had nothing else to fall back on.

In many respects, the system was undeveloped. Fitting the whole thing in the format of a paperback book meant a sacrifice had to be made. The lack of a more extensive historical background in a historically based game pays obvious testament to this lack of space. Scott himself has admitted that he couldn’t imagine anyone using the system exactly as written and he felt his system for combat didn’t quite work. And it’s true. Every time I come back to Maelstrom I find something that I would tweak, twist, or completely rework; but I wouldn’t change everything, as the core rings true.

And Finally

Any questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember picking this up in a bookstore at the time and reading through the introduction. I guess I was 11 or 12 so it didn't quite grab me. Pretty cover, though!

Is there are goal stated in the book? Are characters still following the style of their professions, only they might have magical help? Or do they become adventurers and are they seeking gold and fame from that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've still got the copy I bought in '84 or '85. I'm running a series of one-shots this fall and Maelstrom is on the list.

Go fruiterer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
Is there are goal stated in the book? Are characters still following the style of their professions, only they might have magical help? Or do they become adventurers and are they seeking gold and fame from that?

The book does contain guidance on how you can set up goals, adventures and campaigns - and they tend to revolve around existing careers and common interests. A Noble with a retinue; a pilgrimage to a holy site; a clutch of mercenaries heading to the nearest conflict; a travelling market or circus of entertainers... that sort of thing. The Tudor period and the changes in Church, State and agriculture did mean a lot of movement, a lot of vagabondage as well. Maelstrom isn't really about rip-snorting adventure and dungeons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Bottley
msg tools
designer
First off i have to say Wow. Incredible summary there!

As far as goal and adventures go, i always thought it was well suited to investigations and travel type scanarios.

Novels by CJ Sansom and SJ Parris are good inspiration, or watch an episode of The Tudors. Intrigue and investigation mixed with some action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bottg wrote:
As far as goal and adventures go, i always thought it was well suited to investigations and travel type scanarios.

It does predispose itself to that sort of thing. As a Referee, you need to think more about common purpose and that purpose needs to be something other than 'saving the world'. It could be a lot of things though... there is no shortage of possibilities. A group working for a Guild, an undercover 'team' spreading the word of Rome in the face of Henry VIII's new Church, a travelling theatre company actually concealing spies from Court, a splinter faction of strong minded political activists keen to work for the rights of the common labourer, and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think the system of Maelstrom would work for a fantasy game (for example in the Dragon Warriors (Revised Edition) ) setting ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
eisenphx wrote:
Do you think the system of Maelstrom would work for a fantasy game (for example in the Dragon Warriors (Revised Edition) ) setting ?

Yes, most certainly. The way Scott wrote Maelstrom makes magic a very supernatural thing, and Dragon Warriors always seemed to treat aspects of magic in a similar way.

I don't think you'd have an issue running some of the adventures, like The Elven Crystals or The King under the Forest replacing friends and enemies with either appropriately skilled humans (a stocky Craftsman for a dwarf, a Hunter gameskeeper for an elf) or traditional supernatural equivalents of 'monsters'. If you get hold of a decent bestiary of the supernatural, you should have plenty of material to draw from, as folktales and culture of the time were steeped in stories of monsters, fey and so on.

The simplicity and flexibility of the system make house rules and adaption of the material incredibly easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will look into running Dragon Warriors with the Maelstrom rules then. That is as soon as I find some willing guineapigs, ahem, players I mean in the RPG forsaken place.
Thanks for the opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Bottley
msg tools
designer
It could easily do fantasy a la Dragon Warriors, especially if you add in the Maelstrom Companion livings.

Then you would have Mercenary, Noble, Herbalist, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Assassin, Rogue and Witch as potential adventurer types.
All of the weapon and armour data is there, and there are quite a few "atmospheric" supernaturals in the companion also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bottg wrote:
It could easily do fantasy a la Dragon Warriors, especially if you add in the Maelstrom Companion livings.

Then you would have Mercenary, Noble, Herbalist, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Assassin, Rogue and Witch as potential adventurer types.
All of the weapon and armour data is there, and there are quite a few "atmospheric" supernaturals in the companion also.

Good thing I already own all the Maelstrom stuff. Nice work btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up with a copy of Maelstrom a couple of years ago during a game trade, and I still haven't read through it. For some reason, I assumed it was a Three Musketeers type of game (no clue why).

For those who have played it, what experiences have you had?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
I ended up with a copy of Maelstrom a couple of years ago during a game trade, and I still haven't read through it. For some reason, I assumed it was a Three Musketeers type of game (no clue why).

For those who have played it, what experiences have you had?

Okay - while others step up to the plate to describe their experiences, I'll kick off.

In recent months, I have used Maelstrom primarily at conventions. The simplicity of the system means that you can get players up and running in no time - roll d100 to get equal or less on Saving Throws and make sure you record your wounds separately. If you do a pre-gen sheet, you can condense descriptions of key Living-based abilities quite easily for quick reference. Most characters will have some key area of knowledge or some crunch option for doing something (e.g. warding spirits, crafting something for cash, handling a sword like a pro).

Even if you don't have a pre-gen set, creating a character takes moments - assign 50 points across all Attributes, keeping in mind where your preferred Living would benefit from it most (e.g. Knowledge and Will for a mage, Attack, Defence and Endurance for a Mercenary). As a Referee, if you have a type of adventure in mind (e.g. raid on a French castle, pilgrimage to a holy site) you can confine creation to a few specific Livings and make the whole process run faster. It's a genuine pick-up game that doesn't need much of a memory to keep in check for Referee or player.

Last game I played, all the characters were common pilgrams on their way to Avignon in 13th century France. All basic common Livings, the sort of people with a job and a little money who had cause to seek absolution for their sin by visiting a holy site. I wrote special Living abilities on the front of playing cards and any specific equipment/notes, too. Off and running in minutes, without much to explain beyond the basic d100 roll vs. Attributes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.