Mythic Game Master Emulator
Pandamoneum in Pharam
Fate Accelerated
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
The Yellow King
Ruins of Zhentil Keep
The Savage World of Solomon Kane
Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures
Hot Guys Making Out (First Edition)
Ten Candles
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Event Horizon Adaptation for Dread
Paranoia (Mongoose Edition)
Book 01: Flight from the Dark
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Twilight: 2000
The Bestiary
DC Adventures Hero's Handbook
Microscope
Horror Companion Explorer's Edition
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying: Basic Game
Book 2: The Heart of Fire
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Far Trek
Torchbearer
Little Wizards
Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
Shadow of the Demon Lord Core Rulebook
SagaBorn Roleplaying Game
Expedition Cards
Coriolis: The Third Horizon
Dresden Files Accelerated
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 500 - Jun 2017)
Index Card RPG Core
Genesys Core Rulebook
Pyramid (Volume 3, Issue 105 - Jul 2017)
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
The Adventures of Indiana Jones
Rolemaster Companion III
Empire in Flames
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

S2: White Plume Mountain» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Quirky, deadly and enjoyable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, Lawrence Schick took the best bits of the dungeons he'd designed, stuck them all together, and gave the result to TSR as a sample document in order to persuade them to hire him. It worked, and his sample document was published as S1: White Plume Mountain, much to his surprise.

It's also one of my favourite adventures of the era. James Maliszewski has discussed the idea of Gygaxian Naturalism, being how Gygax designed AD&D and its modules to be a more realistic world. This is most obvious in adventures such as The Village of Hommlet and Keep on the Borderlands - although the Caves of Chaos have a few too many different monsters living in proximity, it's not completely unbelievable.

When you get to White Plume Mountain, with its collection of turnstiles, inverted ziggurats, cursed wishing rings and ogre magi, the world doesn't look that realistic. However, it's a lot of fun. Astonishingly, despite the deathtraps and difficult encounters, the adventure feels light-hearted. This is a long way away from Tomb of Horrors, which feels a lot more grim.

The hook of the adventure is this: the wizard Keraptis has stolen three powerful weapons from their owners in the Free City of Greyhawk. The heroes need to travel to White Plume Mountain and reclaim them. Keraptis is never seen in the adventure; instead, the group only needs to survive his traps, tricks and monsters.

The module is quite short: 27 encounter areas in 12 pages. It introduces the Kelpie (a malign, shapechanging form of seaweed) to the game. When it was reprinted with a colour cover, it was expanded to 16 pages by putting in more artwork. The artwork in the original printing is by Erol Otus, Darlene Pekul and Dave Sutherland. For the revised version, Jim Roslof, Jeff Dee, Davis LaForce and Jim Willingham add their skills. I really like the artwork in this adventure, which adds a lot to its charm.

However, despite its brevity, it is packed with incident. There are logic puzzles, riddles, strange environments, deception and rather deadly monsters. Fighting a giant crab in a bubble that if punctured will bring boiling hot water down on you? Yes, this adventure has it.

I ran part of White Plume Mountain on my 33rd birthday, and it was a memorable experience. This isn't an adventure to obsess over how to integrate it into your campaign world. Instead, it exists to challenge your players and their characters, and to let everyone have a good time when doing so. You might not always be in the mood for an adventure like this one, but if you are, it delivers the goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Pascalis
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorite modules! Great review! Thanks Have you tried the 3rd edition version? I haven't but I think I'll give it a try soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.