Mythic Game Master Emulator
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Fate Core System
CRGE: Conjectural Roleplaying GM Emulator
Tales from the Yawning Portal
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Dungeons & Dragons (Woodgrain Box & White Box Sets)
Treasure Quests: Tombs of Ra
Microscope
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 6
SOLO: Solo RPG Campaigns for the Cepheus Engine
Tales from the Loop
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 500 - Jun 2017)
Shadows over Bögenhafen
Shadowrun
The Princes' Kingdom
X1: The Isle of Dread
Prince Valiant: The Storytelling Game
Supernatural Role Playing Game
HHQ5: Fighter's Challenge II
Horror on the Orient Express
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Underground
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Mark of Amber
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Game Master's Guide
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Assault on the Goblin Hold
DCC #078: Fate's Fell Hand
Fate Accelerated
MurderHobos
Pits & Perils
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Trail of Stone and Sorrow
Curse of Strahd
Shadowrun: Anarchy - Alternate Ruleset
Magnamund Menagerie
Rise of the Dungeon Master: Gary Gygax and the Creation of D&D
Tribe Name Generator
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Storyteller» Forums » Rules

Subject: Storyteller System flaws rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: probability [+] dice_probability [+] dice_mechanic [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to document some interesting flaws in the core action resolution mechanic in the Storyteller system. If you are familiar with this system, you can skip the introductory background that explains how it works.

Background

Characters have a number of Attributes and Abilities each of which is rated from 0 to 5. 2 is an average human score. 5 is the highest human potential. Some supernatural powers may raise the values beyond this maximum.

An action is typically tested by the appropriate combination of attribute and ability, adding the values together to calculate the size of the dice pool. This many ten-sided dice (with values read as 1 to 10) are rolled against a target difficulty. Each individual die rolling equal to or higher than the difficulty counts as a success. Each individual die rolling a 1 deducts one of these successes. Rolling more 1s than successes is called a botch; rolling a net total of 0 successes is a failure; a positive amount of successes is a success, with the number of net successes determining the degree of success (typically on a scale of 1 to 5).

Note that when the Storyteller system was revised in 1998, the definition of a botch changed subtly: a botch would only result if there was at least one 1 rolled, and no successes at all (as opposed to a greater number of 1s than successes).

So usually dice pool sizes range from one to ten dice. Even with supernatural powers, it is unusual that more than twenty dice are rolled.

A standard target difficulty number is 6, although the difficulty can range from 2 to 10.

Flaw: Difficulty 2

Any individual die roll can only be a success (+1) or a botch (-1). This means that when rolling an odd number of dice, it is impossible to fail; only to succeed or botch. But when rolling an even number of dice, one can succeed, fail, or botch.

This skews the probability distribution in odd ways:

Flaw: Probability of Botching
Affected core rules:
Vampire: The Masquerade (1st Edition) (1991)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (1st Edition) (1991)
Mage: The Ascension (1st Edition) (1993)
Wraith: The Oblivion (1st Edition) (1994)
Changeling: The Dreaming (1st Edition) (1995)
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition) (1992)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (2nd Edition) (1994)
Mage: The Ascension (2nd Edition) (1995)
Wraith: The Oblivion (2nd Edition) (1996)
Changeling: The Dreaming (2nd Edition) (1997)
Vampire: The Dark Ages (1996)
Werewolf: The Wild West (1997)
Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade (1998)
Note that this flaw was fixed in the system starting
with the revised edition of Vampire: The Masquerade,
and the following core rules are all unaffected:

Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised Edition) (1998)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (2nd Edition) (2000)
Mage: The Ascension (Revised Edition) (2000)
Dark Ages: Vampire (2002)
Dark Ages Basic Rules (2004)
Hunter: The Reckoning (1999)
Demon: The Fallen (2002)
Orpheus (2003)
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition) (2011)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (20th Anniversary Edition) (2012)
It would be a reasonable assumption to make that as a character improves in their ability to perform a particular task, that the chance of a critical failure (botch) should decrease; or at least should not increase. However this is not always the case with the system as written: for a fixed target difficulty, the probability of botching can sometimes increase as your dice pool increases.

The specific ranges where this flaw occurs are...

Difficulty 2: the probability of botching when rolling an odd number of dice is higher than when rolling one less die.

Difficulty 2: the probability of botching when rolling 3 dice is higher than when rolling 2 dice.

Difficulty 7: the probability of botching when rolling 2 or 3 dice is higher than when rolling 1 die.

Difficulty 8: the probability of botching when rolling 2 to 8 dice is higher than when rolling 1 die; the probability of botching when rolling 3 to 4 dice is higher than when rolling 2 dice.

Difficulty 9: the probability of botching when rolling 2 to 36 dice is higher than when rolling 1 die; the probability of botching when rolling 3 to 19 dice is higher than when rolling 2 dice; the probability of botching when rolling 4 to 12 dice is higher than when rolling 3 dice; the probability of botching when rolling 5 to 9 dice is higher than when rolling 4 dice; the probability of botching when rolling 6 to 7 dice is higher than when rolling 5 dice.

Difficulty 10: the probability of botching always increases, the more dice that you roll.

As mentioned above, the revised edition of the rules starting from 1998 fixed this bug. Instead, botches could only be rolled if there was at least one 1 rolled, and no successes at all (as opposed to a greater number of 1s than successes). This gave a maximum probability of botching of 10% for a dice pool of 1, with a reduced probability of botching as the dice pool increased. Probabilities of success were completely unaffected.

This was a fine solution, and completely fixed the problem (after only seven years of product sales).

Probability Distributions

Here are graphs for all difficulties; open them up for a larger view. The probabilities are also listed in a comment to each image, to 0.1%.
Difficulty 2:

Difficulty 5:

Difficulty 8:
Difficulty 3:

Difficulty 6:

Difficulty 9:
Difficulty 4:

Difficulty 7:

Difficulty 10:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
Runnin' down the avenue,(Pant, Pant, Pant) See how the sun shines brightly In the city on the streets Where once was pity, Mr. Blue Sky is living here today.
badge
Mr. Blue you did it right, But soon comes Mr. Night, Creepin' over, now his Hand is on your shoulder, Never mind I'll remember you this way.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article Stelio.

Here is another article covering similar territory...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46230301/d10-Probability

It is of interest mostly because of the formulas it derives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange that some game designers don't do the maths as a matter of course. Not everyone's a mathematician, but hopefully there's a friend of a friend or an excel template or something to help with probability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the revised Vampire probabilities (when you get around to them), I'd also be interested in a comparison to nWoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
In addition to the revised Vampire probabilities (when you get around to them), I'd also be interested in a comparison to nWoD.

Article, graphs, and tabulated probabilities all updated to reflect the improvements introduced by the revised edition of the rules.

So... what are the full details of the nWoD mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert, I've only played nWoD once, and I'm in my cups, but I think it is:

- basically the same, dots etc.
- however target numbers are fixed. 8+ is always a success, 10s count as successes and get rerolled, with exploding possible.
- number of successes is always degree of success, using the standard 1=marginal, 3=complete, etc.
- situational difficulty substracts dice from the pool.
- botching is only possible if lack of skill and/or difficulty reduces your pool to one die or fewer. In that case, you still get to roll a die, but a one is a botch.

Please correct, nWoD fans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds a lot like Scion and Exalted, so I think it is correct for nWoD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tyson
Australia
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That always annoyed me, too. I never played the new version, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.