Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
498 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 

Crypts & Things» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The Halls of Nizar-Thun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Characters for reference: http://rpggeek.com/thread/749862/the-halls-of-nizar-thun-cha...


Thousands of years ago Nizar-Thun was a fearsome Sorcerer, whose name is still used to scare the local children into obedience. High in the mountains is his palace, a complex of rooms and corridors carved into the living rock itself. Here he did his great works of magic, housed his armies and hid his treasures.

Some said he was working on a potion of immortality when a rival brought his reign of terror to an end. Despite looting the palace they never did find the Sorcerer’s treasure. Of Nizar-Thun little is said in the legends and his final fate is uncertain.

Your characters have traveled the winding and rocky path up the mountainside far from civilization and find yourself outside the entrance to the Halls of Nizar-Than.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Frigsday the 13th. Perhaps not the best day to explore the ruins of a long dead sorcerer. But, you're here with your stalwart companions. Each of them probably as trustworthy as a Whreevian bamboo merchant.

You stand between the feet of Nizhar-Thun. Or at least what remains of him. A statue apparently once stood guard over the double stone doors. The doors hang loos on their hinges and the statue has been reduced to just the feet and ankles.

The feet are still taller than you, though. Dr. Jones can't help but notice that the carving is exquisite, even after all these years. Some very skilled slaves must have worked on this statue and the door.

Most of the rubble has piled against the doors. You can see a giant stone finger here and perhaps that's a granite eye over there. It'll take days to move the rubble, but there's enough room to squeeze between the partly open doors.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is over. :(
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feradach stalks around outside looking for any other ways into Nizar-Thun. It's carved into the cliffside... perhaps a window?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Dr. Jones moves away from the group and studies the rubble. As far as he can tell it is simply the passage of time that has caused it to come down. He looks at the cuts in the stone, you can see the clear indications of hand tools. He was looking for signs that it was shaped by magic. He's still impressed, the man-hours involved are staggering. This wizard was more powerful than he had expected to command such and army of slaves. Dr. Jones enjoys a moment of thinkng about his time working on the burial tomb. Sadly, that's the happiest he's ever been.

Jones becomes anxious to begin this quest. While the old mage is long dead who knows what old magic lingers in and around him home. It's hard to know if it's safer out here or within. That said, he just wants the book, and any old journals. The sooner done, the better. He's not a field magician and he's nervous about performing outside of a controlled laboratory.

Jones takes a moment to review the rabble before him.He's pretty sure at least one of them is already insane. An odder group of bumpkins and thugs he can't imagine. A third-party seeing them must find it hilarous, an over the hill, urdane mage with two thugs and some kind of woodland hillbilly. He hopes to hell they are more disciplined than they look.

Jones turns to the group and addresses them "It's time." With that he turns lights his lantern through very mundane means and heads for the door.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen G
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jargon moves close to the door and listens carefully to figure if something is inside.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Feradach stalks around outside looking for any other ways into Nizar-Thun. It's carved into the cliffside... perhaps a window?

Make a perception check (roll 1D20+3) Your target is 13 or higher.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
BrokenTomato wrote:
Jargon moves close to the door and listens carefully to figure if something is inside.


Make a perception check (roll 1D20+3). Your target is 14 or higher.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
amosmj wrote:

Jones turns to the group and addresses them "It's time." With that he turns lights his lantern through very mundane means and heads for the door.

Your skin starts to prickle, and the sensation grows in intensity the nearer you get to the door. You can sense there's something magical in here. Even at its most intense, the prickling is very weak, but you've learned to heed its warnings.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen G
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jargon is sharpening his ears..
1d20+3 = (3) + 3 = 6

.. but he can't hear anything.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 90398. BrokenTomato
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (3) + 3 =
  • 6
  • Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 pm
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:

Your skin starts to prickle, and the sensation grows in intensity the nearer you get to the door. You can sense there's something magical in here. Even at its most intense, the prickling is very weak, but you've learned to heed its warnings.

Jones watches Jargen's quick, cautious movements. His instinct is to trust the rogue to watch out for himself and to keep him between Jones own body and any obvious source of danger.

Jones heeds the warning of his senses and Jargens. He takes a moment to look for obvious signs of warding.
perception? 1d20+3 = (5) + 3 = 8OOC: A bit presumptive, if you need me to do something else let me know.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 90399. amosmj
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (5) + 3 =
  • 8
  • perception?
  • Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:59 pm
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
amosmj wrote:
cjbowser wrote:

Your skin starts to prickle, and the sensation grows in intensity the nearer you get to the door. You can sense there's something magical in here. Even at its most intense, the prickling is very weak, but you've learned to heed its warnings.

Jones watches Jargen's quick, cautious movements. His instinct is to trust the rogue to watch out for himself and to keep him between Jones own body and any obvious source of danger.

Jones heeds the warning of his senses and Jargens. He takes a moment to look for obvious signs of warding.
amosmj previously rolled 1d20+3 = (5) + 3 = 8 (perception?) OOC: A bit presumptive, if you need me to do something else let me know.

Despite the strange sensations you're feeling, it seems that everything else is normal. There's even a pair of Quellan water birds chirping on the cliff face as they hunt for insects.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
[q="amosmj"]
Despite the strange sensations you're feeling, it seems that everything else is normal. There's even a pair of Quellan water birds chirping on the cliff face as they hunt for insects.

Jones takes a moment to enjoy the sound of his homelad. A moment of grief follows it shortly. He barks "Why are we still here. In!"

Jones makes a point of falling into the middle of the group (if they move after these terse words), you just never know if it's going to be a firebal too the front or a spiked door to the back.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is over. :(
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Is that what I think it is?"

Perception Roll: 1d20+3 = (13) + 3 = 16
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 90437. brumcg
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (13) + 3 =
  • 16
  • Perception Roll:
  • Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:30 pm
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
"Is that what I think it is?"

brumcg previously rolled 1d20+3 = (13) + 3 = 16 (Perception Roll: )

You don't find a window, but you do find what you think is a hole to allow fresh air in on the north side of the cliff face, the same side as the doors, and not far from them. Maybe it was used to pass messages through.

Peering through, you see a room that extends at least 30' back before the ambient light peters out. From what you can see of the room it was once filled with columns, most broken and shattered. The east half is filled with rubble.

You're able to figure out that the double doors are on the north end of the room.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen G
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jargon says: "I'll take a look inside" and sticks his head inside the doors.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is over. :(
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[Assuming the hole is too small for a person to fit through.]

Feradach grunts "There's a hole over here if you want to take a look. I don't see anything."

I move closer to the door, take a deep breath, and ready my spear.

"I hate open doors."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jargon, with Fedarach backing him up and Dr. Jones trying to stay in the middle, scrambles over some rubble and peeks inside. The stairs are covered in rubble, which is strewn across the floor. The east side of the room is lost to rubble.

Motes of dust float in the air and light streams in through a couple small holes on either side of the door. Jargon sees what was once a nice marble floor and can count at least twenty columns, all a foot or more in diameter, and none of them reaching the ceiling anymore. They're broken off at different heights, some near the ground, others near the ceiling, about fifteen feet above. Red, blue, and gold paint flecks dot the the columns, evidence of their former glory.

At this distance, Jargon can't see the back of the room, but can make out another staircase, free from rubble, about halfway down the west wall (his right).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen G
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jargon enters the room trying to be aware of any movement in front. "It's a little hard to see in here, did anyone bring some lighting?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jones lifts the hood on his lantern allowing a strong wedge of light to bring the room into more clarity. He looks at the ceiling, trying to make sense of the remaining paint. He moves down to the columns, he wonders if the columns have given up due to time, a catastrophy or idiotic looters. He also wonders at the structural implications of the lack of columns. If this thing is carved into the mountain, as it appears, they may have been entirely for decoration.

Jones plays the light across the rubble at the east side of the room. He wonders what is lost behind that rubble, or is it just a weak wall that finally gave up. His mind and light wander back to the ceiling, again wandering if being in this room is a good idea.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is over. :(
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Jones, shine your light over to those stairs."

Feradach goes over to the staircase on the west wall to investigate.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jones lifts the lantern towards the stairs but pauses. He passes the lantern to Ferdach, "Right behind you. That oil will last four hours. I've got three more cannisters so let's be on the lookout for torches or torch making material. Ideally I'd like to be gone in 16 hours but better safe than sorry."

Jones seems to have a natural ability for keeping about halfway between Ferdach and Jargon as they each do their explorations. For Jones's part he seems to be splitting his attention between the door outside and the ceiling.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalen follows his companions into the dim room. As he moves quietly forward, he continues to glance over his shoulder, constantly checking behind them. Enough time in the arena and on the street taught him to always watch his back.

He carefully draws his sword as he makes note of his companions ... specifically the old man, Dr. Jones. "He seems smart", Kalen thinks to himself. "He might make a good leader ... or trouble." Kalen decides to keep a closer eye on the good doctor. He also notes to keep an eye on Jargon, recognizing talent when he sees it.

He pauses as he walks next to a column and places a hand on it. He dislodges small flecks of the colorful paint as his hand moves slowly up its length to the broken midsection. He glances up at the other half still attached to the ceiling.

"It's like a stallig. It's like a stillag. It's like one of those rocks that grow from the ceiling of a cave." he muses aloud.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen G
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jargon walks towards the stairs with the others and waits excitedly for Ferdach or Kalen to move down the stairs.

Jargon thinks to himself that he should not be the one to lead this party unless they need to scout for danger.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalen moves to stand next to Jargon. He unslings his shield from his back and examines the stairs. The stairs seem uncannily free of the detritus that covers most of the room. He tries to determine if it appears anything has passed this way recently.

Perception Check 1d20 = (17) = 17

OOC: Do the stairs go up or down? For some reason I was thinking this was a tower.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 91340. eracer68
  • 1d20 =
  • (17) =
  • 17
  • Perception Check
  • Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:24 pm
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jones sweeps the light across the room, dust motes flickering in the light. All of your movement has kicked up more dust and the stale air fills your nose.

Dr. Jones' light beam traces across the room. The first thing everyone notices is that the room goes an additional 20 or so feet past what you initially says the gloom. It ends in a large archway on the southern wall. It looks like there are steps going down.

Everybody at the doorway to the western stairs notices that they go down about fifteen steps before meeting the rubble. It's obvious that the rubble is fairly deep in this room, which is about 20 x 20. The only exit that you can see is the stairs you're at the top of.

Kalen scans the room he's in, and the western room. There are definitely a trio of boot prints heading off to the south. It lookalike they ignored the western room, which is the room everybody is facing.

However, Dr. Jones light glints off something shiny, and possibly copper or gold, buried in the rubble.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] |