Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
541 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 

White Palette, Ivory Horns» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: White Palette, Ivory Horns IC (Newbie RPG Initiative Game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the White Palette, Ivory Horns adventure!


This is the IN CHARACTER Thread for the game; for future ease of locating it I also recommend using a quicklink/bookmark/subscription.

This thread is specifically for IN CHARACTER actions and conversations. In this thread you should put in quotes and either bold or colorize what your PC is saying. You can describe the PC’s actions in regular color (black) and non-bold text.

To perform rolls for the game we will use the in-thread dice-roller, just like what was used in the Mountains of Madness site-wide adventure.

When you describe dice rolls and any questions or comments related to those rolls (i.e. not something your PC is saying or doing) please do that in greyed out text - this is easiest to perform by typing this: [ color=grey ] text you want to ask about + roll [/color ] but without the spaces. It will turn out like this: Sample text + note. For further examples of what this should look like, please see this excellent play by post thread: wavemotion’s completed 4e game.

The Out Of Character thread has been put up and in it you can ask questions, clarify rules, discuss things amongst yourselves (tactics, plans, etc.). Here is a link to the White Palette, Ivory Horns OOC Thread

Just so that everyone has easy access, here are the guidelines for my play-by-post games. These are the same ones that I posted in the OOC thread:

RULES FOR THE PLAY-BY-POST GAME:

1. Posting Schedule: players should post a minimum of once every day. I understand the difficulties of posting more than once every day or two. I will be online at least three times a day and will check and respond to anyone who has performed an action or asked a question since the last time I checked.

2. If a player misses the posting deadline, the game will go on and that person will be skipped. If this happens in the middle of combat the PC misses their turn. If it happens during a role-playing or decision making point, then that PC is assumed to remain quiet and assent to whatever decision the other PCs have come to.

3. If a player knows they are going to be out of internet range for an extended period, they can arrange for another player to post for their PC if they feel it necessary. This is at the discretion of the two players and the DM will okay it with a word of approval from BOTH players.

4. This should go without saying in this group, but please be respectful towards your fellow players and the DM. This game is meant to be fun and I’d like to keep it that way. I know none of you really need this reminder, but it is better to have it as a general rule than not mention it.

5. I am basically running this Rules as Written, but I understand that each of you, as new players, probably do not have access to all of the rules of the game. If I write something or make a ruling and you do not understand how I adjudicated the situation, please feel free to ask how I made my choice. I will not be offended and I am happy to explain how the game works and why a decision was made. Just make sure that you post your questions or concerns in the OOC thread, not the IC thread.

6. Please feel free to ask me anything else that you would like to know.

Important Links:
In Character Thread
OOC Thread
PC Sheet Geeklist
PC Generation Thread
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The last few days have passed slowly - too slowly. Sweat drips down your brow as you pray for another gentle breeze to pass through the open windows of the Green Griffyn Inn. It's hot and the still humid air makes any physical activity uncomfortable.

Four days past, a heavy shower drenched the roads and forced you and your companions to seek shelter in the village of Vew. When the rain subsided and you stepped back outside, the road had transformed into a pool of mud - nearly impossible to traverse by foot or horse. In the interim you've done little more than pass the time sitting in the dimly lit inn, hoping that the road will dry up and free you from this living agony of utter boredom.

The call of excitement and adventure is silent. You've had nothing to do but sharpen your weapons and practice your skills in anticipation of a break in the monotony. On the bright side, you have been drinking plenty of ale and the mood in the tavern is generally jolly. Good company, lots of laughter, and many tales have been told by the customers coming in and out of the establishment.

Today the inn is mostly quiet and has few customers.

The unexpected appearance of a cool, nay cold, breeze portents change. You feel the breeze through the window and it brings a smile to your face. Perhaps this oppressive heat wave is done for?

The front door of the inn suddenly opens and a strange man walks into the room. You observe that the newcomer’s clothing is covered from head to toe in splotches of colored paint - almost in a funky polka-dotted pattern on purpose. His eyes darting about, he looks over the few denizens of the room for a tense moment until his gaze settles on you and your companions.

His eyes flit from one of you to the other. A slight frown comes forth for a split second as he looks at Bango, but he recovers quickly and hides his apparent distaste. His roving eyes and nervous half-smile soon fall on Flinn and he breathes an almost inaudible sigh...

Swallowing nervously, he walks over to you and speaks directly to Flinn, though he opens his arms as though addressing all of you. "I see by your garb and your fine weaponry that I stand before a brave company of warriors." He swallows, visibly nervous and gives a weak smile. "Please, I am in desperate need of help! May I sit and tell you my tale? I can promise you a good wage if you accept my offer."

He motions to the barkeep for another round and looks expectantly at you, awaiting an invitation to sit.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quietly, aside to Gronmir: "Will ya look at that fool's get up? He looks like he's been attacked by a gang of bloody faeries! I'll take the free drink but he better show this 'fine wage' before he get's any interest from me. Let's see how our pretty mage friend responds..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronmir nods in acknowledgement, but thinks this stranger appears too nervous, like he is hiding something.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dago looks the clown (as he thinks in his mind) for one second, then focusing on his ale again. But his ears are open, listening the conversation.

mb [thought] "Any job is better than sitting here again tomorrow!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift yells at the barkeep, "Make it one of your nasty dragon-fire rums, you mother-forsaken whelp! Your blasted ale is tying my guts into clotted knots!"
Drift, red-faced from effort, not embarrassment, farts loudly (*). "Sorry, mates."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JackDarwid wrote:
Dago looks the clown (as he thinks in his mind) for one second, then focusing on his ale again. But his ears are open, listening the conversation. "Any job is better than sitting here again tomorrow!"

OOC: Jack, remember that Dago can only speak dwarven. He will have to rely on Gronmir, Flinn (Novice level) or Bango (Novice level) for details.

Gronmir turns to Dago and mutters in Dwarven "He's offering free rotgut, if we listen to his tale of plight."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aided by Drift's "smokescreen", Gronmir simultaneously belches, sneaks out an SBD (Silent, but Deadly) and sighs with relief.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mb [Dwarven]"By gods, not again!"

Dago put his face as close as possible to his ale, smelling the warm and sweet ale, escaping from the deadly gas attack.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bango agrees to the free drink. He makes a disgusted face from the frown he received from the stranger, then lets out a light chuckle after hearing Drift farting, knowing he won't smell it.

"Who is this frickin' guy?" Bango says quietly to the party members. "I have been looking for some frickin' excitement in this goat's ass of a town for awhile now. I say we at least listen to the man."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clay
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
All lasers, No regrets
badge
Pro Pusher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinn smiles and leans in close to talk to the old man. Managing to feign a dangerous glint in his eyes, Flinn replies "I can see that you have an eye for talent my friend. My companions and I are the best warriors you will ever meet in the land! Let me buy you a drink to warm your spirits and you may tell us of your tale.

OOC: Pays the bartender for a flagon of ale.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The man wrinkles his nose at the odoriferous onslaught brought to the atmosphere by Drift and Gronmir.

At Flinn's invitation, he turns and pulls a chair from a nearby table, dragging it loudly across the wooden floor of the inn, making a loud scratching/scraping sound. He sits down into the chair gently and leans forward.

"I am-" The barmaid suddenly slams a few pints down on the table, interrupting the man. He jumps at the sound, but nods and then waits for her to leave so that he can start again.

"I am-" A sudden burst of laughter and cheers comes from a table in the opposite corner of the room. You had noticed the group gambling quietly before... something must have turned the tide and someone just became a slight bit richer. The man stops again, waiting for the cheers to die down. He takes a sip of the pint in front of him and scrunches his face up at the taste of the bitter ale.

"I am-" He stops abruptly, leans back and looks around to see if anything is going to interrupt him... He looks at each of you, waiting for him to continue.

"I am the renowned painter Belipar, master artist of these lands, and I am in grave danger!" As he says the last two words his voice shakes with conviction and fear. He looks at each of you earnestly as he continues his story.

"Danger of my reputation being forever tarnished! I have been commissioned to paint a landscape of the first fallen snow of these lands come winter, but to create such a masterpiece I require a great deal of lead to make the white pigment for the snow." He sits back, waiting for your response - expecting shock and exclamations. He waits a few seconds for your responses and for you to ask him questions, but it soon becomes apparent that none of you understand the import of his problem or the difficulty he is facing, so he continues on...

With a sigh, he explains, "Since there is no lead to be found locally, I paid for some to be delivered from a town far to the south. Daresido is the name of the place - dreadful town, if I do say so, lots of crime and dreadfully expensive to get any pigments..." He realizes that he is going off track and steers himself, a little sheepishly, back to the topic at hand.

He leans in and continues, trying to impart the seriousness of his troubles to all of you. "I have only now learned that the caravan was ambushed! My precious, precious lead was stolen! This is terrible! Even if I order more, it will take weeks to arrive. There will be inadequate time for the lead to whiten, thus there is no time to spare! If I do not retrieve this precious lead within a week, all is lost! Please, I beg you, take up my cause and seek out that which was lost—lest I fail my commission and my reputation be forever sullied!”
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift throws the rum down his gullet in one toss, sneers and says, Your reputation, bah! I've never heard of you, but I have been to Daresido. It's full of low life scum but nothing to be scared of. I doubt any of them scurrying cowards did the 'ambushing.' That takes a different class altogether. So I see how we would be useful to you, but what's in it for us?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bango sips his ale and reminisces of times he had spent in Daresido. Trying to think of individuals that might be capable of or wanting to do this type of "job".

"I agree with Drift, it may not be any petty thieves pulling this off. It could be more dangerous than one thinks at first. Also a week is not a long time to travel to Daresido, find the lead, "persuade" the theives to give us the lead, and travel back here. There must be a great reward for this frickin' lead."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift, aside to Neko, "Seems a little fishy, what do you think?"

He's suggesting you perform a listening and observation skill check
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The man waits while you talk amongst yourselves for a few minutes, seemingly not listening to you. He feigns disinterest, looking around the room.

When you mention Daresido, though, he pipes in, "Oh no, I think I have mislead you! I don't mean that you should go there, dreadful place, it is anyway..." He shakes his head, "No, I just need you to go track down the caravan and see who was banditing it! I don't think it was the scum from Daresido, they are the ones I bought it from anyway... erm, um, I mean, the merchant's in Daresido, not the scum... Anyway - I think you will find it closer than that. The caravan was almost here!"

He shakes his head thoughtfully. "I can pay you the princely wage of 25 silver pieces for retrieving my lead. Payment upon your return, of course! 'Tis an easy job for a group like you, I would think!" He smiles very wide and nods his head.

"What do you say? Is it a deal?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronmir bangs down his tankard and acclaims, "These brigands must be hunted and brought to justice."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bango trying to speak dwarven to Gronmir 1d100 = (80) = 80:
"I don't care for silver! I'm ready for soap and trees is good action!"

Edited for garbled translation
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 107004. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d100 =
  • (80) =
  • 80
  • Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:06 am
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JerryDaScorpion wrote:
Bango trying to speak dwarven to Gronmir JerryDaScorpion previously rolled 1d100 = (80) = 80:
"I don't care if he gets the frickin' lead or not, and 5 sp each is not too important to me, but I am ready for some action!"

LOL, That was a bit of a garbled translation...

Gronmir, Bango turns to you and says "I don't care for silver! I'm ready for soap and trees is good action!"
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift loud enough for all to hear but directed at Gronmir: "Now hold on Your Pious Holy-ous-ness. That's...let's see...25 divided by 6 of us...(quiet mumblings with his fingers moving around)...well whatever...I don't even get 5 bloody silver pieces!"

Quieter, as if speaking to himself, "Tho' I s'pose we could rob the robbers...eh?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinks to himself, "Typical merc, only interested in the coin".

"Well, Drift it seems that Bango would be happy with a bath and and a bit of tree-hugging".

Thinks, I hope that's what he meant, and not a bit of prison bath action."

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift: [To Gronmir] "I don't care what that little ugly bugger thinks, he don't make any sense anyway.
[To Belipar] Tell us more. Like, how'd you find out that the caravan's ambushed? Where is it? How many attackers? Any survivors? How'd you get the story and what parts ain't you telling us? And show me your coin, you don't exactly look rich to me..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clay
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
All lasers, No regrets
badge
Pro Pusher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinn carefully weighs his parties opinions, trying to decide if he wants to put his neck on the line for such a paltry reward, even if it does help a great, albeit scatterbrained, painter.

Turning back to Bellpar, Flinn responds, Our group sounds perfect for the job; however, being stuck here for the past few days has lightening some of our purses considerably", Flinn grins over at Dago and Bango, having being the one to most recently relieve them of their coins, "and given the high price of lead these days, we think 35 silver sounds more reasonable, with 10 silver paid up front. We will deliver justice to these brigands!

Roll for Diplomacy (61) 1d100 = (34) = 34
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 107022. Urchin
  • 1d100 =
  • (34) =
  • 34
  • Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 am
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift: [To Gronmir] "The pretty mage is smart. And greedy. I like him.
[To Flinn, loudly] Well said friend Flinn! And I still want him to answer my questions..."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronmir turns to Dago and mutters, "The stranger is offering 25 silver to retrieve some stolen painting supplies, but Flinn is asking for more and payment up front of 10 silver.".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] |