Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
541 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [22] | 

White Palette, Ivory Horns» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: White Palette, Ivory Horns IC (Newbie RPG Initiative Game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronmir scans for tracks while keeping a watch on the surroundings.Tracking, 24 1d100 = (82) = 82.

"I suggest you all keep your eyes peeled for any lurkers.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 110173. batcut
  • 1d100 =
  • (82) =
  • 82
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:55 am
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dago moves around, observes his surrounding

Observation Skill (No Skill): 1d100 = (24) = 24
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 110182. JackDarwid
  • 1d100 =
  • (24) =
  • 24
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:27 am
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift also
listens 1d100 = (81) = 81
and
observes 1d100 = (5) = 5
(not skilled)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 110183. wysire
  • 1d100 =
  • (81) =
  • 81
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 am
  • [+]
  • 110184. wysire
  • 1d100 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 am
Scott M
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I will take up the back, grab the silk, and check out this wagon."
Bango grabs the silk, looks at it, and ponders what he thinks the value is.

Appraisal of sundries (current level 20)1d100 = (76) = 76
Identify trap (current level 27)1d100 = (52) = 52
Observation (current level 23)1d100 = (47) = 47
Listening (current level 19)1d100 = (24) = 24

Bango then follows the group down the path
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 110292. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d100 =
  • (76) =
  • 76
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 110293. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d100 =
  • (52) =
  • 52
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 110294. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d100 =
  • (47) =
  • 47
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 110295. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d100 =
  • (24) =
  • 24
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm
Peter Clay
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
All lasers, No regrets
badge
Pro Pusher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinn:
listens (unskilled): 1d100 = (42) = 42
observes (unskilled): 1d100 = (93) = 93

Flinn rolls his eyes about having to do manual labor. But he searches through the remains of the wagon anyways, looking for the lead or anything worth a couple brass.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 110426. Urchin
  • 1d100 =
  • (42) =
  • 42
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 pm
  • [+]
  • 110427. Urchin
  • 1d100 =
  • (93) =
  • 93
  • Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 pm
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickhouser wrote:
Neko turns and walks 10-15 yards up the trail. He stops and listens.
Listening: 38 (Roll = Strickhouser previously rolled 1d100 = (59) = 59)

Neko stands apart from the rest of the group and listens. He hears the sounds of something moving through the forest. From the noise, it sounds like a couple of large dogs or small bears. He looks, but doesn't catch a glimpse of anything, and can't make a determination about what type of creature he is actually hearing.

batcut wrote:
Gronmir scans for tracks while keeping a watch on the surroundings.Tracking, 24 batcut previously rolled 1d100 = (82) = 82.
"I suggest you all keep your eyes peeled for any lurkers.

Though the mud here is just as thick as it was outside the forest, for some reason the tracks level out and you lose them. You continue to scan the ground and try to track the footprints that brought you into the forest.

JackDarwid wrote:
Dago moves around, observes his surrounding
Observation Skill (No Skill): JackDarwid previously rolled 1d100 = (24) = 24

Dago is too distracted by the overturned cart and the movement of the others in the group to see anything else.

Also, when you guys roll a universal skill test for a skill you aren't trained in, instead of just putting (no skill) or (not skilled), also put the relevant ability score for that skill. In other words, if you are doing a listening check, the relevant ability is Wisdom, and so if your WIS was 16, you would say: Listening (unskilled, 16): [roll].

That way I can tell how well you hit the target without having to look up your stats every time.


wysire wrote:
Drift also
listens wysire previously rolled 1d100 = (81) = 81
and
observes wysire previously rolled 1d100 = (5) = 5
(not skilled)

Drift sees something grayish white moving through the underbrush. It seems like at least 3 creatures are circling the group!

JerryDaScorpion wrote:
"I will take up the back, grab the silk, and check out this wagon."
Bango grabs the silk, looks at it, and ponders what he thinks the value is.
Appraisal of sundries (current level 20) JerryDaScorpion previously rolled 1d100 = (76) = 76
Identify trap (current level 27) JerryDaScorpion previously rolled 1d100 = (52) = 52
Observation (current level 23) JerryDaScorpion previously rolled 1d100 = (47) = 47
Listening (current level 19) JerryDaScorpion previously rolled 1d100 = (24) = 24
Bango then follows the group down the path

Bango thinks the silk is of quite high quality and probably would have fetched a good price if it weren't so dirty. He also thinks it could be cleaned up and sold for a nice bit of silver.

Urchin wrote:
Flinn:
listens (unskilled): Urchin previously rolled 1d100 = (42) = 42
observes (unskilled): Urchin previously rolled 1d100 = (93) = 93
Flinn rolls his eyes about having to do manual labor. But he searches through the remains of the wagon anyways, looking for the lead or anything worth a couple brass.

There is no trace of cargo on the abandoned wagon. It has been cleaned out. Whoever took the wagon probably got tired of pulling it themselves (it is quite heavy) and decided to empty it of its goods and leave the wagon itself behind.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift growls in a low voice: "Watch out, you buggers! I think these dogmen or some other nasties are stalking us. I see at least 3 gray creatures circling. Let's form a defensive circle. Put the mage in the middle. Make yourself useful spellboy.

Neko! Get back here with us and keep your eyes peeled. Maybe you can give 'em some more ventilation with that bow of yours."


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neko briskly returns to the adventuring party.

I heard something up ahead. Three creatures, maybe large dogs, maybe small bears. Everyone get ready.

Neko draws an arrow and readies his short bow.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronmir moves into place on Drift's left side, drawing his sword and readying his shield.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clay
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
All lasers, No regrets
badge
Pro Pusher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinn moves behind Gronmir and Drift mumbling something about meat shields and readies his staff.

Flinn follows Gronmir and Drift as they move.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift draws his sword, shield ready.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dago moves closer to the group, covering the group from the upcoming attack.
He readies his axe and shield with a smile,[Dwarven]"Here kitty kitty kitty..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You all move closer to each other, standing around the abandoned cart. As you set yourselves for trouble, 5 large grey wolves crawl out of the brush, snarling and growling. They are surrounding you...

Here is a rough map of the situation. The cart is in the middle of the small clearing. You are all standing near the cart and the wolves are coming out of the woods roughly where the X's are placed (though not as close to you as they look). The loopy things represent the treeline:




Everyone should roll a d12 initiative in this post, just click the add a roll button at the bottom of the post and in the note field write your PC's name. You can see how I added the Wolves init already (they rolled extremely well).

Also note that Elves and Halflings get improved initiative, so they will roll 1 die higher than the GM called die, i.e. they roll a d10 instead of a d12 in this post.

Your goal is to roll low!



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 113416. lorddillon
  • 1d12-2 =
  • (3) - 2 =
  • 1
  • Wolf Initiative
  • Wed Mar 7, 2012 6:30 am
  • [+]
  • 113418. batcut
  • 1d12+3 =
  • (11) + 3 =
  • 14
  • Gronmir Initiative
  • Wed Mar 7, 2012 6:34 am
  • [+]
  • 113442. JackDarwid
  • 1d12 =
  • (11) =
  • 11
  • Dago
  • Wed Mar 7, 2012 10:34 am
  • [+]
  • 113443. wysire
  • 1d12+5 =
  • (10) + 5 =
  • 15
  • Drift
  • Wed Mar 7, 2012 11:05 am
  • [+]
  • 113508. Strickhouser
  • 1d10 =
  • (7) =
  • 7
  • Neko:
  • Wed Mar 7, 2012 1:08 pm
  • [+]
  • 113742. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d10-1 =
  • (1) - 1 =
  • 0
  • Bango
  • Wed Mar 7, 2012 10:25 pm
  • [+]
  • 113814. Urchin
  • 1d12 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Flinn
  • Thu Mar 8, 2012 5:21 am
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys - I'm back and I think that my computer problems have been solved - YAY!

A couple of things:
1) Starting Initiative = Wisdom initiative modifier + Dexterity initiative modifier + class level adjustment + roll of initiative die

Your initiative modifiers are listed in your combat stats box for whichever weapon you are holding at the beginning of the encounter. So you add the init value in the total column for the stat box of the wpn you are using to your die roll. This is your starting initiative. Your starting initiative is the count number where you start declaring your actions.

2) After your first action, you declare what you will do next. Then you figure out how long your action will take and you will be done with the action at the count time that equals your starting initiative + time to complete the action.

For example, let's say a 1st level fighter rolls a 5 on the die and has a wis init mod of -1, and a dex init mod of +2, the fighter's starting init would be 6 (that is 5-1+2). Before the count up reaches 6, the fighter is surprised and has a lower defense.

When the count up reaches 6, the fighter declares that he will attack the orc in front of him. He swings and misses, but knows that he wants to attack again. He declares that his next action will be to attack the orc with his axe again. His base weapon speed is 12 and so he will swing his axe on the count equal to his starting init + wpn speed: 6 + 12 = 18. So he will attack the orc on count up 18.


Our initiative rolls are as follows:
Wolves: d12-2= 1
Gronmir: d12+3= 14
Dago: d12= 11 [should be +4, so real total is 15]
Drift: d12+5= 15
Neko: d10= 7 [should be +2, so real total is 9]
Bango: d10-1= 0 [should be -3, so real total is -2, but bumps up to 0]
Flinn: d12= 4 [should be +5, so real total is 9]

So count up order will be:
Bango (0)
Wolves (1)
Neko and Flinn (9)
Gronmir (14)
Dago and Drift (15)

--

Also let me clarify the positions of the wolves:




Wolf 1 -------------- 20 ft ----------- Wolf 2
- -
- -
- -
- -
15 ft 15 ft
- -
- -
- -
DAGO NEKO
BANGO
---------------
| CART |
| |
---------------
FLINN
DRIFT GRONMIR
- -
- -
- -
15 feet 15 feet
- -
- -
- -
- -
Wolf 3 (10 ft) Wolf 4 (10 ft) Wolf 5




Bango and Flinn have their backs up against the cart, everyone else is 5 ft in front of the cart.




Based on talk in the OOC thread, I will guess that Bango is holding his action since he can't reach anyone.


The wolves will move;
Wolf 1 walks up to Dago, ending his move at count 3
Wolf 2 walks up to Neko, ending his move at count 3
Wolf 3 walks up to Drift, ending his move at count 3
Wolf 5 walks up to Gronmir, ending his turn at count 3
Wolf 4 walks up to Flinn, ending his turn at count 4

They stand there menacingly growling and licking their chops.

This means that the scene now looks like this:

Wolf 1 ---------------- Wolf 2
DAGO NEKO
BANGO
---------------
| CART |
| |
---------------
FLINN
DRIFT Wolf 4 GRONMIR
Wolf 3 Wolf 5



Given this map, Drift could effectively hit wolves 3 and 4. Gronmir could effectively hit wolves 5 and 4. Bango could reach wolf 2 but not wolf 1.



At count 4, Bango can act if he chooses, otherwise the count goes up to 9 and Neko and Flinn can act. you can all declare your actions and make attack rolls if you are attacking.








2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to make an attack roll to keep the game going. If I don't do the attack sequence right, feel free to make the correct action for me since I will be busy with moving stuff today.

Bango can reach out and touch a wolf, so he decides to pull out his dagger and unleash his fury on wolf #2.

1d20+3 = (5) + 3 = 8 (d20p+attack bonus of 3)

Edit:
In the unlikely chance I get a hit.

1d4 + 1d4-3 = (2) + (4) - 3 = 3
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 116589. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (5) + 3 =
  • 8
  • Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm
  • [+]
  • 116694. JerryDaScorpion
  • 1d4 + 1d4-3 =
  • (2) + (4) - 3 =
  • 3
  • Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 pm
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift savagely slashes at wolf 3, trying to keep his shield between himself and wolves 3 and 4.

Attack roll (+0): 1d20 = (20) = 20
Damage roll (+3) (if hit successful): 2d8+3 = (7 + 8) + 3 = 18
will add 'p' if successful
edit-whoohoo!

edit-Attack 'p'1d20 = (20) = 20+1d6-1 = (2) - 1 = 1
Damage 'p' 2d8+3 = (7 + 8) + 3 = 18+1d8 = (7) = 7
If I messed up, just take the correct numbers

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 116691. wysire
  • 1d20 =
  • (20) =
  • 20
  • Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 pm
  • [+]
  • 116692. wysire
  • 2d8+3 =
  • (7 + 8) + 3 =
  • 18
  • Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 pm
  • [+]
  • 118342. wysire
  • 1d6-1 =
  • (2) - 1 =
  • 1
  • Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:48 am
  • [+]
  • 118343. wysire
  • 1d8 =
  • (7) =
  • 7
  • Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:51 am
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bango slices at the wolf in front of him, but the dagger finds only fur - the beast barely moves out of the way just in time!

Wolf defense roll: wolf 2 defense 1d20-4+3 = (10) - 4 + 3 = 9




Current Count Up: 4

Bango, declare your next action so that we can determine when it will take place.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 116854. lorddillon
  • 1d20-4+3 =
  • (10) - 4 + 3 =
  • 9
  • wolf 2 defense
  • Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:10 pm
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Current Count Up: 9

Neko and Flinn may take action!


The wolves will get to take a turn again on count 13 and 14. Their speed is 10, their starting initiative was 1, and they ended their last moves on count 3 and 4.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bango will attack if a wolf is within his reach. Otherwise he will stand his ground in a defensive stance.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JerryDaScorpion wrote:
Bango will attack if a wolf is within his reach. Otherwise he will stand his ground in a defensive stance.


Excellent! Since your weapon speed is 7, you add 7 to the count from the last time you took action and that will determine the time you complete your next action. In your case, your starting initiative was 0, but you didn't act until count 4, so your next attack actually comes at count 11, so you will go after Flinn and Neko, but before the wolves act again.

Also, if you just type [color=grey ] without the space, it will use a darker grey that is easier to read (#CCCCCC is a very light grey color).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clay
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
All lasers, No regrets
badge
Pro Pusher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinn twirls his staff and attacks the wolf directly in front of him.

Attack roll: 1d20 = (18) = 18 + 3 = 21

Damage: 2d4 = (1 + 3) = 4 (forgot to roll separately for penetrating...oh well.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 118241. Urchin
  • 1d20 =
  • (18) =
  • 18
  • Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:33 am
  • [+]
  • 118243. Urchin
  • 2d4 =
  • (1 + 3) =
  • 4
  • Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:34 am
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, none of your dice penetrated, i.e. did not get maximum for each die rolled. In other words, the d20 would have to be a 20 and the d4s would need to be 4 for one or both, not a total of 4.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neko reaches for his club and swings it wildly at Wolf #2

Attack Roll: = 1d20 = (8) = 8

Damage Roll: = 1d6 = (4) = 4 + 1 = 5
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 118312. Strickhouser
  • 1d20 =
  • (8) =
  • 8
  • Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 pm
  • [+]
  • 118313. Strickhouser
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 pm
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urchin wrote:
Flinn twirls his staff and attacks the wolf directly in front of him.

Attack roll: Urchin previously rolled 1d20 = (18) = 18 + 3 = 21

Damage: Urchin previously rolled 2d4 = (1 + 3) = 4 (forgot to roll separately for penetrating...oh well.)


Flinn attacks the wolf and cracks the beast across the face with the end of his staff - the beast lets out a loud yelp!

Wolf4 defense roll: wolf 4 defense 1d20-4+3 = (15) - 4 + 3 = 14

The wolf's defense roll was less than Flinn's attack roll, so the attack succeeds!


Flinn needs to declare his next action so that we can determine when in the count up it will occur.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 118315. lorddillon
  • 1d20-4+3 =
  • (15) - 4 + 3 =
  • 14
  • wolf 4 defense
  • Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:24 pm
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickhouser wrote:
Neko reaches for his club and swings it wildly at Wolf #2

Attack Roll: = Strickhouser previously rolled 1d20 = (8) = 8

Damage Roll: = Strickhouser previously rolled 1d6 = (4) = 4 + 1 = 5


Neko swings at the beast in front of him, but his club finds only air!

Wolf2 defense roll: wolf 2 defense 1d20-4+3 = (16) - 4 + 3 = 15

The wolf's defense roll was more than Neko's attack roll, so the attack fails!


Neko needs to declare his next action so that we can determine when in the count up it will occur.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 118316. lorddillon
  • 1d20-4+3 =
  • (16) - 4 + 3 =
  • 15
  • wolf 2 defense
  • Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 pm
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [22] |