Phoenix Command
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Space Opera
Green Races
Lexicon
CRGE: Conjectural Roleplaying GM Emulator
Alone Against the Flames
Song and Silence: A Guidebook to Bards and Rogues
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Judge Dredd Companion
Barbaren!
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
The Laundry
Curse of the Yellow Sign Act 3: Archimedes 7
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Reflections
SWA41: Friends Like These
Mystara: The Dark Ages
Hora de Aventuras: Pantalla del DJ
ALIENS Adventure Game
Stunning Eldritch Tales
Universalis (Revised Edition)
Grimm
Tatters of the King
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Eberron Campaign Guide
Solo 04: Naked Doom
Pathfinder #020: House of the Beast
Phoenix Command: Advanced Rules
Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles RPG
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
We Be Goblins!
The Mythos Dossiers
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Don't Walk in Winter Wood (Second Edition)
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

A2: Secret of the Slavers Stockade» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Looking onwards and upwards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Module #A2: Secret of the Slavers Stockade is the second adventure in the "Aerie of the Slavelords" series. As I mentioned in my review of the first adventure, they were originally designed as tournament adventures for GenCon XIII. This adventure consists of two parts of the first round, but (somewhat confusingly) also follows on from the other adventure which would have been taking place at the same time...

In this adventure, the group needs to infiltrate the Slaver Stockade to discover more about the Slave Lords, in particular, the location of their stronghold, the Aerie. Designed by Harold Johnson with Tom Moldvay, I think it does a much better and more unified job than that of the rather confused Slave Pits of the Undercity.

Details are given for the DM who wants to run the adventure in campaign play, including wandering monster tables between the location of the Slave Pits and the Stockade, and the rooms not used in the tournament have been fleshed out. Guidelines are given for running the adventure in tournament mode, but I believe this adventure works far better when you actually play the entire thing (in contrast, once again, to A1).

It's still an adventure of two halves - the first is the stockade, the second the dungeons below, both of which have entrances that allow the party to penetrate the stockade. I might be mistaken, but I can only see two ways between the two levels, both of which are blocked - assuming the party are paying attention to their goal, it's unlikely that they'll enter the other half of the adventure.

However, even playing through half the adventure should provide entertainment for the players. The stockade strikes me as being less of a grab-bag of encounters and more of a realistic take on what you would encounter, although there is time for enjoyable diversions such as a abandoned section of the stockade inhabited by a madman who has the slavers convinced that he's a ghost!

This realism does fade a bit when you come to a corridor with a mirror in it to convince you there's no turn; and thus waste your fireballs against the reflected mummies rather than the mummies themselves. Why exactly have the slavers set this up again? (The answer is, of course, because this is a "trick" to deceive the tournament players. It's enjoyable to read, but it doesn't make the greatest sense in the world).

Below is the lair of Markessa, the commander of the stockade and a rather intelligent and evil elf, who uses her magical powers to experiment on the slaves, turning some into doubles of her, others into her dream lovers, and other into great beasts. This gives the lower level of the dungeon its own feel, distinct from what was above, and the result allows the DM and players to explore a number of deceptions and problems that are, in fact, quite unusual to include in a D&D adventure.

Four monsters make their debut in this adventure:

The Phantom, which is more of a trick than a monster, which is an image of a dead person often reliving their death.

The Boggle, a small goblinoid-like trickster with the ability to manifest a small dimension door that they can put their hands through to steal things or strike another character.

The Cloaker, a highly intelligent and extremely alien monster from deep under the earth. It seems quite out of place in this adventure - especially as it doesn't use its intelligence at all, but is content to just pacify the slaves with its moaning.

The Haunt, which is another undead spirit, but far more dangerous than the Phantom as it will possess a character and force him to complete some task the spirit left undone.

The artwork in the adventure is generally rather poor for the era and was created by Jeff Dee, Erol Otus, Jim Roslof and Bill Willingham. The maps are fine, although the shading of the tournament areas make them a little less clear than they could be.

Overall, there's a lot to like about Secret of the Slavers Stockade. It does reward a group whose DM is willing to flesh out what is given, and the links between the two halves of the stockade are poor, but the adventure as a whole is a worthy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.