New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the OUT OF CHARACTER Thread for White Palette, Ivory Horns, a newbie RPG initiative Play By Post Game.

This Out of Character thread, abbreviated OOC, is a place for us to discuss any important rules, character options, actions in the game, etc. Please feel free to ask any questions, clarify rules, discuss things amongst yourselves (tactics, plans, etc.)

This thread is to be treated as the place for normal chatter between players and DM which is not directly in character. In a race-to-face RPG session, plenty of discussion happens around the table and this will be the thread in which to have those discussions. That is, anything not in character, including PC to PC conversations, conversations with NPCs, story reveals, or combat -- those things will be in the In Character Thread. Here is a link to the White Palette, Ivory Horns IC Thread

Please subscribe to this thread as it will contain all of the out of character discussions for this game.

Important Links:
In Character Thread
PC Sheet Geeklist
PC Generation Thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the White Palette, Ivory Horns adventure!

Before we get started with character creation, I want to let you know some guidelines that I always put forth at the beginning of any play-by-post game that I run.

RULES FOR THE PLAY-BY-POST GAME:

1. Posting Schedule: players should post a minimum of once every day. I understand the difficulties of posting more than once every day or two. I will be online at least three times a day and will check and respond to anyone who has performed an action or asked a question since the last time I checked.

2. If a player misses the posting deadline, the game will go on and that person will be skipped. If this happens in the middle of combat the PC misses their turn. If it happens during a role-playing or decision making point, then that PC is assumed to remain quiet and assent to whatever decision the other PCs have come to.

3. If a player knows they are going to be out of internet range for an extended period, they can arrange for another player to post for their PC if they feel it necessary. This is at the discretion of the two players and the DM will okay it with a word of approval from BOTH players.

4. This should go without saying in this group, but please be respectful towards your fellow players and the DM. This game is meant to be fun and I’d like to keep it that way. I know none of you really need this reminder, but it is better to have it as a general rule than not mention it.

5. I am basically running this Rules as Written, but I understand that each of you, as new players, probably do not have access to all of the rules of the game. If I write something or make a ruling and you do not understand how I adjudicated the situation, please feel free to ask how I made my choice. I will not be offended and I am happy to explain how the game works and why a decision was made. Just make sure that you post your questions or concerns in the OOC thread, not the IC thread.

6. Please feel free to ask me anything else that you would like to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we are about to get started, anyone want to chime in on the back story before we do? If not, I figure that will be explored as we get started.

Quote:
1. The three of us (Drift, Dago & Gronmir) have campaigned with a company of sellswords for the last 3 months together. Our captain tends to take jobs that aid victims and pursue justice, but last week he agreed to a job we all thought was a bad idea for various reasons. We left (he wasn't pleased but we didn't burn the bridge). So here we are in this tavern discussing, "What do we do next?"

2. Dago & Drift have known each other longer, signing on to the same sellsword company 6 months ago. Gronmir, attached himself to the company about 4 months ago, trying to turn the heathen of the company (alignments - evil, neutral) from their pagan ways. He also appreciates the goals (usually) of the company.

3. Our last job with the company involved tracking down a band of outlaws that was terrorizing a village (fits Gronmir religious goals and my quest to discover those who destroyed my family and home. Dago just loves bustin' heads and getting gold.)

4. I can't speak for all of the group. In general, the 3 of us are for getting 'bad' guys (our definitions vary), finding adventure and getting gold - lots of it. Gronmir likes those too I think, but he is also trying to rise within his religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clay
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
All lasers, No regrets
badge
Pro Pusher
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't really put much together but...

Flinn, having forging a passing grade on his History of Magic exam, graduated from the Academy as an Apprentice about two years ago. Despite being talented in many areas of magic, he has yet to find a practical application for his interests and has instead spent the past few years gambling and drinking in the ale houses. Being successful in that, he has become bored with the mundane life and was thinking of what to do when...[enter the old man]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut, if you 'tank' too, we should put you on the left since Gronmir's a lefty. we don't want to get tangled up and it'll be a nice surprise for our enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wysire wrote:
batcut, if you 'tank' too, we should put you on the left since Gronmir's a lefty. we don't want to get tangled up and it'll be a nice surprise for our enemies.

Sounds good. I've been reading up on combat and there's a bit to it, but it seems realistic with things like initiative, surprise, knock-backs and the ability to move forward after, special combat moves and misses & fumbles.
I'm hoping that Initiative rolls are going to be low given that the three up front have Base Initiatives with plus figures, which is not good.
I'm thinking now that I should have been increasing my dexterity a bit to reduce the initiative modifier, instead of the Parry bonus. Oh well!!

BTW, in the manual it says to roll for handedness. I chose left because I'm not - although my left hand/arm is stronger and has better reflexes than my right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's really funny that Drift, a sullen human fighter, and a true neutral, travels with two lawful good dwarves. I'm going to have Drift tease them (and himself) and 'complain' about this. It will be 'japing' not in the GRRM sense (derision) but in the sense that because of putting their life on the line together, he has formed a bond with these two but thinks it's ironic and isn't entirely comfortable with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wysire wrote:
I think it's really funny that Drift, a sullen human fighter, and a true neutral, travels with two lawful good dwarves. I'm going to have Drift tease them (and himself) and 'complain' about this. It will be 'japing' not in the GRRM sense (derision) but in the sense that because of putting their life on the line together, he has formed a bond with these two but thinks it's ironic and isn't entirely comfortable with it.

Drift, you have to remember my son, that it is your circumstances that has changed your view of life and society. I am here to help and guide you if that is your need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wysire wrote:

This could be interesting - Dago can only speak Dwarven and Drift can only speak Kalamaran. That makes me the meat in the sandwich. I can see some disputes that Gronmir will have to help resolve. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
This could be interesting - Dago can only speak Dwarven and Drift can only speak Kalamaran. That makes me the meat in the sandwich. I can see some disputes that Gronmir will have to help resolve. devil

That's a great observation (which I totally missed). However, I live in China and have TERRIBLE Chinese, so I'm good at 'faking' it and can help Drift do so as well.

I think we can have a lot of fun with this (as if we aren't already!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that Bango met up with the group one rainy night in a small pub in a small town. He met Drift, Dago, and Gronmir when they just got back from one of their adventures. Bango just got into town and was looking for some drinking and gambling. He started talking with the adventurers and was wondering if he could join their party.

(let me know if this is OK with you guys or not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urchin wrote:
I haven't really put much together but...

Flinn, having forging a passing grade on his History of Magic exam, graduated from the Academy as an Apprentice about two years ago. Despite being talented in many areas of magic, he has yet to find a practical application for his interests and has instead spent the past few years gambling and drinking in the ale houses. Being successful in that, he has become bored with the mundane life and was thinking of what to do when...[enter the old man]

I am fine with this, but keep in mind that, if you don't already know the party when the old man enters the scene, you will have to make sure that you convince them they need you. And I will expect a lot of role-playing of you guys talking about your pasts and whatnot while you are traveling - otherwise there will be no good reason for everyone to stay together and get along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, lots of roleplaying is what I want to do. However, we all want to get started on the adventure, right? Remember the setup mentioned we've been stuck in this tavern for days because of the rain and mud. We've certainly had time to get to know each other for better or worse.

I see Flinn as pretty entertaining, his CHA is off the charts. I think he would have charmed the 3 of us and we would see the benefit of having a chaotic good mage, his spells and skills welcome to come along for whatever is next.

I think we'd all be wary of Bango. Ugly little slinker... Again, his thief skills would be of use, so he can come along but the 3 of us have all warned each other to watch him and each others backs.

Neko I know little about. Any suggestions Brent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay - that sounds good. So I will post the first IC post in a few minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Important note to you players:

I am having a lot of fun and want a rich experience for all of us. But I don't want to come across as a pushy loudmouth. Please, if you disagree with any of my ideas or suggestions, SAY SO! This is about all of us creating something together.

Or role play right out of it. I think one of the best aspects of RPGs is the element of surprise, not only from the story created/related by the GM but how the players show the creativity in the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronmir would be suspicious of the two thieves (if we know that), but would be doubly wary of Neko as he is an elf as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JerryDaScorpion wrote:
I was thinking that Bango met up with the group one rainy night in a small pub in a small town. He met Drift, Dago, and Gronmir when they just got back from one of their adventures. Bango just got into town and was looking for some drinking and gambling. He started talking with the adventurers and was wondering if he could join their party.

(let me know if this is OK with you guys or not)

Sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
Gronmir would be suspicious of the two thieves (if we know that)

Good point. I doubt that they would introduce themselves as thieves. They would, more likely, say that they are skilled at many things, and then start to list the awesome stuff they could do. Perhaps portraying themselves as a "Jack of Many Trades" sort of person, or maybe a "Handyman of Many Talents" sort of thing. But they wouldn't use the term thief because of the derogatory connotations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick notes on Honor:

I don't know if this scenario is long enough for Lord Dillon to award any honor. But if you like HackMaster and see more in your future (that's me I hope!) then it's good to know.

Honor is an important aspect of the game. Here are some notes from the rulebook (paraphrased from the player section, not GM section, Lord Dillon):

Definition: How the character measures up to the society's ideals of courage, integrity, and inner strength. Not a judgment of good & evil. High honor brings respect, power, influence and position. It is the game mechanic that enforces adherence to your character's alignment, class and roleplaying.

You can spend it for re-rolls but as 1st level characters, I doubt we have enough (Drift certainly doesn't).

It fluctuates based on the character's actions and behavior, especially as it pertains to:

* how closely and consistently the character behaves relative to belief system and alignment.

*adherence to class (fighter should NOT act like a mage and vice versa)

*general roleplaying: background, language skill, motivations based on background. Basically are you roleplaying consistently with your character sheet?

*success as a party and individual: in adventuring expeditions, loyalty, talents and skills.

*awarded/lost as a group and as individuals based on actions

*think in terms of duty (as your character would see it)

*breaking oaths, cowardice and unavenged insults can hurt your honor negatively. (yes, you may have to defend your personal honor from NPC's during gameplay!)

*bravery, job well done, mastery of skills and successful quests earn honor.

*Playing your QUIRKS and FLAWS

*Racial preferences

*etc.

edits - for typos and clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel,

If Gronmir has to tip a beggar, what is an acceptable amount?

I would have thought enough for a meal or to buy some food. In which case, how much do things cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, can we progress this as we haven't heard from Flinn, Neko, or their real world player's? Or would you rather wait until they make an appearance as this is just the start?

BTW, they haven't been on BGG for over a day or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neko's mesmerized by the polka dots.

I do hope they come soon and can be regular, it'll be so much better. But I don't want it to lag forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wysire wrote:
Neko's mesmerized by the polka dots.
LOL - that explains it all!

Quote:
I do hope they come soon and can be regular, it'll be so much better. But I don't want it to lag forever.

Definitely. But considering the year I had last year, I can understand that the Game of Life can sometimes intrude in manners we don't need or understyand and doesn't always play fair.
Hopefully, all is well with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
Samuel,

I would have thought enough for a meal or to buy some food. In which case, how much do things cost?
So, while we are waiting for our friends, let's try to calculate:
the standard Rations is 5cp(=50 brass) for one week supppy, means 50/7(days a week)/3(3 times a day)=2.4 brass x2 (profit for the seller/baker) = around 5 brass for each meal.

From that calculation, my guess is that each meal will cost around 5 brass (0.5 copper) in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackDarwid wrote:
batcut wrote:
Samuel,

So, while we are waiting for our friends, let's try to calculate:
the standard Rations is 5cp(=50 brass) for one week supppy, means 50/7(days a week)/3(3 times a day)=2.4 brass x2 (profit for the seller/baker) = around 5 brass for each meal.

From that calculation, my guess is that each meal will cost around 5 brass (0.5 copper) in town.

Good work, Jack.

You know I swear that I didn't get a subscription notice for this.

Unless ... I refreshed this page at work, but didn't check for a change, and then came here tonight and I'd already viewed it. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |