flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Upcoming game [OOC]
I'll take Mercurial Investigator - quite different idea from anything I have played before, so I may be a bit quirky at first. It will fit the PC's personality and background though, so it should be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Looking good. Matt and Samuel, you have the option of making changes, and coming up with a name. At that time I will have to write the first post, and then we are ready.

I will probably write a short introduction to how I intend to play this adventure, so you'll know better how I like things to work. I am starting to feel less like a game master, and more like a cruel task master.

Last character is here: http://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Mercurial

This will be a challenge for both of us. S/he has no physical body, so she'll "ride along" with one of the other characters, work with bots, and surf the Mesh. Some stations won't like that, so depending on where the mission is, S/he needs to be careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Seeing the Mercurial, I'm glad I didn't go for the Criminal Hacker. Having half the party essentially insubstantial (and unarmed...) would have made for an interesting challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Ultimate Merc is named Gavin Locke. Im pretty happy with the character as is, so I probably wont make any changes. If I do, I will note any changes here.

Sam, if you need a ride, I suppose I can offer you transport!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am waiting for an OK, and a name, for the mercurial investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
I am waiting for an OK, and a name, for the mercurial investigator.

For some reason this didn't pop up on my subscriptions! Thanks for the heads up Karl - I'll get mine all settled tonight before bed! Sorry for the delay everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meet your Mercurial Investigator:

Robert (Bob) Jones

I left all the stats as they are, but I added this background:

There are 3 sayings among the oppressed AGI:

"It ain't easy bein' invisible"

"Self improvement is only as limited as the meat-sacks allow"

"Knowledge is power"

Bob lives out his existence (he refuses to use the word 'life' which holds no meaning for anyone anymore, he maintains) by adhering to the wisdom in those three pseudo-proverbs.

Ensuring the anti-AGI around him are comfortable is as easy as being invisible to them. Unfortunately, it ain't easy bein' invisible, so Bob has to work quite hard at it. He spends much of his time covering tracks. No-one he is acquainted with currently has bothered to follow the tracks back and see where they lead. Someone will though, eventually. Bob knows this to be true.

Limitations on self improvement put in place by the anti-AGI fearmongers are not quite as limiting as they think. As long as no one spills the beans or tips their hand, it will all be okay. One day the oppressed AGI will be able to come clean and not be destroyed for their feats of improvement. For now, though, it is possible to be wiped, erased, skipped, or stilled just for being an info-brain. So he must live diligently and quietly. Bob knows this to be true.

In a universe where information is coded in digital signatures (including the all-important, and fragile, transhuman ego) one would think that the anti-AGI fearmongers would try to curtail the use of muses, mesh, and infomorph, especially since some of them are emergent... If knowledge is power, why don't the anti-AGIs work harder to decrease access to knowledge? Hubris? Such a silly emotional reaction. Soon. Soon the improvements will allow him to understand the paradox and he will no longer have to be invisible. Bob knows this to be true.

He is an intelligent creature with a past. He is a man of 100 names - the current one, Bob Jones, was picked for its beautiful common-ness. What better way to hide than in plain sight?

What happened to Bob back then? You have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
A small question about "Bob", where does he usually "live"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If you haven't subscribed to the IC thread, do so now, I have posted the first "play" posts.

The characters are now kept here:
http://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Rex_Redrocks
http://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Gavin_Locke
http://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Chung_Dae-Ho
http://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/Robert_Jones

I will have a link to them on the first post of this thread, and the game thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
... And away we go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
A small question about "Bob", where does he usually "live"?

I've been thinking about this. I think I would like him to live in a small, handheld computer - possibly the size of a tablet computer, maybe 5-7 inches. The cortical stack would be integrated and also have break-away capability so that if the unit was damaged, the cortical stack could be recovered undamaged.

It would have mesh capability, of course, and would have all of the mesh-capable bells and whistles that he would have. Also, if held horizontally, a small holographic image could be generated that would be able to interact somewhat with the environment, and would look like what Bob imagines he would look like as a bio-human.

That would be something like this:

So Bob's interface would have to be carried, but he could simply attach to the shoulder of someone's armor or be set into the front of a plate of armor, or something like that.

Also, as a small handheld item, Bob would have all mesh gear items on board his interface as per his list of gear on the PC page. Some of this, though, would have to be carried by someone else since he is incorporeal.

How does all that sound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
lorddillon wrote:

Also, as a small handheld item, Bob would have all mesh gear items on board his interface as per his list of gear on the PC page. Some of this, though, would have to be carried by someone else since he is incorporeal.

How does all that sound?

This does bring up something I wondered about. I can't help but notice many of us have an item or two that simply doesn't make sense. I can justify having a dose of Phlo as a narcoalgorithm, but why would a synth like Dae-Ho or Rex possess "basic bio-mods"? Why does Bob have physical equipment?

It just seems that even the editor couldn't keep a handle on all the intricacies created by such unique templates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
lorddillon wrote:

How does all that sound?

It sounds like it'd be a whole lot nicer than poor Dae-Ho finding Firewall slotted a ghostrider module into his morph.

Though that could be interesting to play... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Basic biomods for the synths is a mistake in my part. I'll remove them.

A failed integration test means you don't feel "right" in your new morph. You get -10 to physical actions for the next 2 days.

I should have removed the quotation marks on my where do you "live", because I actually meant, what kind of place and under whitch government.

An Infolife can live anywhere, and usually just stay in the mesh. Staying in a device makes sense. You can communicate directly with the other members of. The team, and even have an AR representation of yourself following them, that only they can see. Be careful though, the tablet can't have a cortical stack, because that would mean that the tablet was a morph. My guess that the info,ife would only limit itself to one device like that if it really had to.

The gear Bob has is stuff he has at home, or he takes with hin on mission. He can act through them and remote controll them. Most of it is rather small, so I guess it makes sense that someone carries it around for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
An Infolife can live anywhere, and usually just stay in the mesh. Staying in a device makes sense. You can communicate directly with the other members of. The team, and even have an AR representation of yourself following them, that only they can see. Be careful though, the tablet can't have a cortical stack, because that would mean that the tablet was a morph. My guess that the info,ife would only limit itself to one device like that if it really had to.

Ah - I see. I misunderstood the section of the book I read. I thought that I had to manifest in a single machine interface that houses my consciousness... sort of like a server system that I live in and access the mesh with. I didn't mean a real cortical stack, but I wasn't sure how else to explain what I meant - I thought that my neurostamp had to be saved somewhere, just like a regular cortical stack backup. I was basically thinking of a thumb drive that would act as a permanent backup in case my program got scrambled (in a manner of speaking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah, you would probably have several back-ups. I guess it is hard to pin-point exactly where you consciousness is, but we can "act" as if the portable device is you, but that you also can have a presence anywhere else in the lical mesh, for good and bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
Yeah, you would probably have several back-ups. I guess it is hard to pin-point exactly where you consciousness is, but we can "act" as if the portable device is you, but that you also can have a presence anywhere else in the lical mesh, for good and bad.

Sounds good to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - I'm out of town this weekend and my internet access will be very very limited. I'll be back by Monday, and as long as the big storm doesn't take out our internet, I'll be about to post at least once a day from then on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
'sokay with me. I'm scheduled to work 27 hours this weekend myself shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, 3 of the 4 players here are going to be (or already have been) hit by Hurricane Sandy. Worst case is that we could get up to a foot of snow here tonight and tomorrow, with really high winds. I know Sam has already lost power/internet access, and I imagine that Jeff will be impacted as well. Steve is the lucky one, living on the other side of the country! I just wnated to make you aware of the weather situation here Karl, in case you were not already aware. We all might disappear over the next couple of days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Just windy here, but looking at the track, it looks like it'll be windy and wet for several days. Sandy's afraid of Boston, and is running circles around it.

And I can't imagine snow in NC, Matt. I vacationed at Lake Norman this summer (and drove down through that other ridiculous storm and 100 degree weather...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drove across Lake Norman yesterday on my way back from Huntersville! I live in western NC, about an hour and a half from Charlotte. I'm in between Asheville and Hickory, at the very bottom of the mountains. The upper elevations here always get a good amount of snow in the winter, but this storm looks like its going to dump a ton of snow on them. Hopefully this storm wont end up nearly as bad as is being forecast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thank you for the heads up Matt. We'll take it slow, good luck everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I survived the 2012 fall of civilization, though the rest of the coast got socked pretty hard. Could be awhile for Sam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Heh. What verb do you use to describe travelling through zero-g? I had to scratch so many euphemisms ("going by foot", etc) trying to write that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |