Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have all the pdfs, and even the core book and one supplement in hardcover. Just haven't read them, partly due to the Iron Reviewer contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
They are a good read, but I don't think you should read them just for this. Follow my advice, ask questions, and we'll get it done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
I am feeling a tad lost. Other than real life getting in the way and being sick these past 3 weeks, I think part of the problem for me is that I am not exploiting all the possibilities because I am not used to the world/universe we are playing in.

I feel like Bob isn't being as effective as he could be, but some things just fly right over my head in terms of possibility or they just don;t ever enter my mind because I am not as familiar with the setting as I'd like to be.

I have all the books and have read the core book, but I haven't really dig into them in much detail and I feel that is getting to be a detriment. I hope I am not destroying the game for anyone.
I've gotta say, speaking as a lurker who has only skimmed the rules, everyone has been very convincing at seeming like they fit in this crazy setting! I don't think I could do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It is an interesting topic. I am just reading Ars Magica, and I came across the classic White Wolf talent common sense. If you have it, the game master must warn you if you are about to do anything stupid. So if you don't have it, you might insult the high-mage, eventhough you have studied the hermetic arts for 18 years. The fact that you have just played the game for half-an-hour is not an excuse.

I like to think of the setting as being in three levels: the obvious, the real and props. Let's take the current game. The fact that a shot in the head would kill you, is obvious. It is so in real life, and in the game. 

The real, is stuff thay must be so in the game world, but you, the player might not know it. I can't remove the Mesh from the game, or cameras in public places, they are an important part of the setting. So it is my duty as GM to be mindful and inform the players of any consequences. 

Finally, there are props. That is things in the setting that is constant, but not important. It is ever present in the characters' minds, but never in the players'. Take zero-g. If I constantly wondered and asked about your actions relating to that, or punished you everytime you did something wrong in zero-g, it wouldn't be fun. Instead, zero-g is a prop. I only use props, when the prop itself is the point. You have had an accident, you are now stuck because of zero-g, deal with it.

In the end, you want some balance. You want the setting the enhance play, but if it gets in the way, noone is having fun.

Just some thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - I'd like to have Rex do some distraction tweets on his way down, but I'm at the airport now and won't be able to post until tonight.ill catch up then, and if the story has progressed beyond me, that's cool .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Have a good flight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem waiting until Steve can post. I think we can use Rex right now.

This is what I'm thinking... I'm afraid that if we let Brandon get into the ship, he and the crew will manually lock the doors and prevent us from ever being able to get inside. I think we need to either get Brandons attention and wait for Rex, or Chung and Gavin enter with Brandon and take the ship by force.

We still have to find a way to get Sven on the ship, and he might not be willing to do so once we use violence. We could tell him that we are on the station to rescue him, take him away from the life of servitude, whatever might convince him to cooperate with us.

Depending on the crew, whether they are synths or biomorphs, Bob could deactivate the life support or other important system, forcing the crew off of the vessel. Another option is Bob attempting to lock the doors, deactiving the life support, and dealing with the crew that way. But yet again, we risk them manually locking the doors from the inside and us losing the ship.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Matt, you're my man! Make things happen, take us out of this limbo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly, everyone is on board the ship and Bob has total control over the ships systems. He gained access to the some of the systems of the station earlier, and unless that has changed, I assume he still has control.

With the party and Sven on board, we should try to leave, correct? Is that the plan? If so, Gavin will give that 'order' to the crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cyalume wrote:
If I understand correctly, everyone is on board the ship and Bob has total control over the ships systems. He gained access to the some of the systems of the station earlier, and unless that has changed, I assume he still has control.

With the party and Sven on board, we should try to leave, correct? Is that the plan? If so, Gavin will give that 'order' to the crew.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, Firewall was expecting you to leave through the same farcasting facility you entered. Since you are going somewhere else, you will have to reestablish contact, but you are all good enough to make that happen. Dione is just the place for such a thing.

To be honest, I think we are at the end. Sven is with you, you have left the Cluster behind. I could make something up, but if this was a movie or a show, it would end now. The rest is just off-screen pipe. If anyone wants to add anything, that would be fine, but I am thinking about posts that would wrap us up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for continuing if everyone else is. This has been really fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been, I believe, the only time in my lifetime of RPGs that I've completed a scenario/mission/whatever without any violence. That's kind of weird!

It has been difficult at times to follow all the intricacies of the EP world, but I really rather like Rex. Couldn't be more different from real-life-me, but he's been very enjoyable to play, and I've enjoyed the game a lot.

Karl, once we do finish I'd like to hear how you expected this to go. I got the feeling this wasn't it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sure, I'll be glad to tell you what I was thinking.

First, let's try to wrap up this adventure. If someone could just post something like, "I know a guy on Dione" or "let's just enjoy the journey", or something like that, then I will make a short epilogue, and we can call this adventure over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
So, what was I thinking?

As most RPGers I originally made my adventures very linear, with a strong plot. This is what has happened, this will happen, the player characters act within that. As I got more sophisticated, I started to make hub-structured adventures. They were much more flexible, the characters were presented with an environment, and they had to “solve” it, to progress.

Since I started to play Trail of Cthulhu, I have changed again. I still like to organize stories into hubs, but I have largely done away with plots. Either my players get a problem to solve, or a situation to explore. Their take on it, decides how I progress. Before, I might, for example, have decided that the characters had to find about a security breach in a computer network, and that they had to explore that before trying to infiltrate a facility. Now I rather let them decide. If they try to find a security flaw, there is a security flaw. If they try to find someone gullible to work some social engineering, they find one. That doesn't mean they succeed, but there is always a chance, and the stakes raises as they progress.

In this game I created a problem, find Sven and get him out. You investigated many things, and I presented many possible directions you could go into. In my mind, I considered some to be more easy than others. In the beginning I tried to see if you wanted to kidnap someone working for the Ultimates. But you didn't take that bate. For everything you did, I raised the stakes a little bit. Halfway into the adventure violence opened for me. If you hadn't entered the dock, I might have sent someone after you. Because of the pacing I also knew that two-thirds into it, you had to find Sven. At that point I expected it to be sort of a mad dash or something to get back out. But you managed to stay in a position were you could consider your options. I might have thrown a monkey wrench into it, but I wanted you to act, and create the problems. Luckily for you, when you did act, it was in small incremental steps, backed-up by good rolls.

I thought someone at some point would fire a gun, but you were right to be careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this Karl, and would love to play in another EP game. I would continue with our current group and characters, if you create another mission for us on Dione. Wink wink, nudge nudge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Karl - both for running a fun game and for the explanation!

By the time Rex was in a position to execute his secret mission, it seemed nearly suicidal - not just to get into the fortress but to get out again. So I decided not to pursue it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
In April I am going back to work, and in a new job at that. I have been seriously thinking about what I should have time to do on the geek. I have been wondering about this game, and I have decided I don't want to run another adventure right now.

This has been one of the best groups I have had, but that can't be the only reason for going on. This PbF has also shown me that while I like the setting, I am not tha fond of EP as a game.

But I do have several ideas. If I have time in the future, I might revisit this game. If that happens, I will post here, to see if any of you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever want to run another PbF, whether it be EP or any other game, save me a spot at the table! You are a great GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thank you, I aim to please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I agree, we had a great group and a spectacular run despite any slowdowns. The setting is amazing, far better than the idea it seemed to be before I went looking into it of people just effortlessly swapping skins to be whatever thry wanted.

I think one of the issues we had was the ease we had in the mission -- we had few important rolls, probably a mix of our caution, Karls open ended GM style, and the very nature of PBF. There almost wasn't a failure that we couldn't turn to a success with Moxie.

I would happily continue on as well if and when Karl gets the itch. Until then, I think I need to break in my PFS membership and focus on rescuing my fiasco of a Fiasco from the newbie initiative.

Thanks Karl! And a hearty good job to my fellow players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great game everyone - and especially to Karl - excellent job! I would be happy to sit at your table any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  |