Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Customs Procedures: Smuggling things into Kronos Cluster isn't really an issue, since everything is legal here, it is made on local cornucopia machines. For that reason, the custom officials care little, except for the basics. The Port Authority has a fearsome reputation though, so few dares to deny them their share. The only smuggling you have heard of smuggling people unto the station, away from someone chasing them, or off the station, if the KPA were after them.

Black Market: Since everything is legal here, this is the source of much of the black market on other locations.

Slave Market: There isn't really a slave market, but rather a buying and selling of egos and labour. People find themselves in debt, and therefore their only resource, their ego, becomes the property of whomever they owe money. Organizations, like the KPA, sometimes buy such egos to do menial labour. These poor souls have few rights, though many, especially among the anarchists, believe that this practice is highly amoral. Other anarchists, like the extropians, believe it is an important practice, since it promotes self-reliance and gives everyone something to sell.

Kronos Cluster: The Kronos Cluster orbit Rhea, an important water producing planet. It started as an important hub for water export, but has turned into a major trade centre. It has a history of anarchism and has since the fall become highly overpopulated. It looks like a bunch of grapes. The grapes are individual habitats, neighbourshoods if you like, while the vines between them are passageways. The wider end of the vine (called the Vine), is the port. While habitats are controlled by local gangs, the port is controlled by the Port Authority, they wipe out any threat to their power, and take protection money from all other factions on the station.

The Kronos Cluster also have a burgeoning tourist industry. People who want a vacation with a sense of danger can cone here. While there people here that would kill you and sell your pieces, you will usually be safe if you stay in the right areas, and have a guide. Also, the KPA protects the tourist industry.

In addition to all the bubble habitats, many ships and smaller stations have docked with the station, and now make this their permanent home.

The button: Without hacking it, or picking it apart, it is hard to tell. Most likely it would play a message.

Ships docked: Most ships are either here to deliver water from the planet, or to take it away from the station. There are a couple of tourist cruise ships and scum barges.

Yes, the Muse. I don't think we should give them skills, but feel free to incorporate them into your story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Locke scans over the information provided by Patton, and says to the group "Is everyone satisfied with the information provided? Apparently this is a popular tourist destination. It might be in our best interest to appear to travelers, rather members of a group on some sort of mission."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Mr. Locke, I heartily approve of that plan! Though it may behoove us to take other identities as we delve deeper...tourists aren't known for asking anything other than inane questions, after all. Hmmm...I suppose the first question is into which habitat we will emerge, which will probably determine the best way to investigate. I am sure that I can find some of my many fans here - perhaps they can shed some light for us."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
While I would normally argue that a group like ourselves is unlikely to be mistaken for tourists, Kronos cluster may be the only place this side of a gate that isn't true. We may however consider using our star power instead.

Rex has done some wonderful pieces on Martian autonomy -- not that I entirely agree with the editorial slant, and it is not beyond conception that he would seek to expand beyond that ball of red dust. We may find more doors opened and people willing to trust us given his skills.

He also would make an excellent distraction in the later stages of the mission should we need a diversion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex puffs up a bit at the mention of his incisive commentary but then deflates when it is apparent he is to be nothing more than a distraction. Still, he recovers quickly.

"Yes, I have always daydreamed of starting a riot. The Kronos Cluster may just be the perfect place...but still, announcing any of our presence is an irreversible step, so I would prefer to begin with discretion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavin turns toward Rex and says "This area is nothing but anarchy. I fear that what we find outside of this door will be little more than a constant riot, or one on the verge of occurring.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge

Which is why we're glad to have you along, Gavin. I'm decent with a gun if I have to be, but I prefer to not have to use it.

We have a few advantages -- it's unlikely for anyone else to be looking for our man, and once we have him, he'll be easy to hide among all the other pre-fabs.

Of course, this also means he will be hard to find without getting his name out there and raising suspicion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I do consider myself well versed in the way of the gun. It is my hope, however, that I do not have to use force for us to complete this mission.

How do you propose that we locate Mr. Anderson?"

Gavin turns his attention to Bob, bends down to the level of the hologram, and says "We havent heard from you, Sir. Will you need assistance with your equipment?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
"If you are all quite done with your self gratification I suggest we move on. We must make our way to the docks and look for a used synthmorph, model A34871, Toshiba Industries. It's a rag-tag first generation synth, shouldn't be too hard to spot. I believe all of you have morphs equipped with a magno-port that will hold my casing. Please point the visuo-spatial port anteriorly so that I may 'see' in front of me. Thank you."

And with that, the little blue hologram disappears.

Help me obi-synth-kanobi, you are my only hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavin looks towards the others, noticing that none of them seem to want to carry the infomorph and his equipment, offers transport.

He attaches the casing to his moprh and adjusts the visuo-spatial port in a forward direction.

"Satisfied with the visuals, Mr. Jones?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex watches Locke attach the fussy little mercurial and then turns back tot he button. "Enough dallying, then? Time to get this party started?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Finally. You don't say he pushes the button, but I am going to assume he does.

An AR image appears in your field of view. It is a tall slender woman of asian decent. She iscwearing overalls, like she trying to look more blue collar than she really is. "Hi there, and welcome to the Kronos Cluster. I hope you find that all your ordered gear and morphs has been provided to your satisfaction. I am not going to bother savvy travelers like yourself with the boring details. But here is the essentials:

You are currently in the upper reaches of the Cluster, outside of this room you'll find the main chamber of the Kamal habitat. It is currently controlled by the Ottoman gang. For your convenience protection money has been paid to the gang on your behalf. When you leave the Kamal habitat you will be in the upper stem, under the protection of the KPA.

A return ticket is ready for you when you need it. Per your specification, there is also a fifth prepaid farcasting ticket, for an unspecified traveler. On behalf of the FarCastix company I want you to thank you for selecting us. And remember, we might not be the most exclusive farcasting company, but we get you there - silently."

When you think of it, this does look like ashabby farcasting and resleeving facility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Just like our illustrious employers... they spare no expense on their operatives. We apparently have this as a primary exit point... though I would prefer one in a different location. Bob, have you checked into the number of that specific model in the cluster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we enter in the Kamal habitat, then to the upper stem, is that where the docks are? Or is it an even longer trek? Rex will download a map if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You are almost right. The stem goes through the entire cluster. The docks are the lower part of the stem. Rex can easily find a map in the Mesh. It shows all the passageways and all the habitats, and who controls them. As said before, it looks like a bunch of grapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A fine idea Rex. Such information would be quite useful." I wave my hand in from of Bob's visuo-spatial port to get his attention, and say "Would it be possible for you to narrow the location of Mr. Anderson through a scan of those older morphs, Bob?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob speaks up, quite testily for a hologram: "Unfortunately the mesh here is quite scattered. I am unable to pinpoint the exact location of the old morph. The KPA uses many such old, first gen, series 1 morphs for grunt work. I can try, but I don't appreciate having to do your work for you, I've already specified the model." A few seconds pass.

"Many groups have the sloppy habit of resleeving slave-morphs... ammend that, indentured servitude assigned morphs, without updating the status, so it is quite likely that the specified morph has been resleeved since the XP-diary entry I accessed. Also, censorship is rampant in the cluster mesh, so data is scrambled." A few seconds pass.

"Looks like you will have to do some actual work, meat-puppets."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Locke can sense Bob's disapproval of being asked to search the mesh.

"We do appreciate your hard work, Bob. And as you said, we "meat puppets" must do some leg work here to find Mr. Anderson. Please keep an ear to the ground and alert us if you see anything that would lead you believe that we have been discovered."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"Agreed. This isn't going to be a quick snatch and grab if we can't easily pick the target out of the crowd. We need to find a way to wander the port unobtrusively or at the very least learn where he is located. And I'm certain we'll have a far easier task if we acquire the asset returning home from work or at home. The less KPA knows before we're off the station the better. See if you can find a nice restaraunt near the port so we can get to work and provide sustenance for our meat bodies, Bob."

Chung seems to have little desire to coddle Bob's personality matrixes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify: Me talking to myself/my computer brain, is in light blue. My processor's response is in light green. Anything I say out loud will be bold and in quotes and dark red.

That is, the blue and green stuff in my post was not out loud, just for your reading enjoyment

Locate biofood establishment within 1/4 to 1/2 kilometer of dock most likely to support phase 1 synth model A34871... processing...

Research roll: 1d100 = (81) = 81

... Complete. No such location found within specified parameters.

"Negative outcome on a close biofood restaurant, Mr. Chung. What is the maximum distance you would like to consume food away from the dock area of the cluster?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 206954. lorddillon
  • 1d100 =
  • (81) =
  • Mon Nov 5, 2012 6:20 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex rolls his eyes. "Standing here isn't doing us any good; the tablet can show off its algorithms just as easily while we start walking. Let's get a sense for what this place feels like before we make a real plan. We can keep it quiet at the moment, just see what's out there."

"And, anyway, there's bound to be a bar or entertainment complex down there. If we're going to find some loose tongues, I'd wager that's a nice place to start."

Can morphs get drunk???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Plenty of delicious narcoalgorithyms out there. But food and drink, less so, yeah blush Clearly I was asking for our remade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Very nice playing all around. This is really how I like to run things. Soon at three pages, and you haven't even left the first room. Well, let me know when you want to leave this room. Perhaps he is just outside waiting for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
vestige wrote:
Can morphs get drunk???

Transhumanity has found endless ways to get drunk and wasted. Chemical for the bios, and electronic for the synths... Mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I agree Rex, we must start moving. Let's move towards a public place and keep our ears open for gossip. Let me access a map, one moment gentlemen."

Gavin cues up Patton and makes a request:

Patton, will you find me a map of this cluster for reference? I need the location of public areas such as bars and entertainment venues. Report back when you have something. Locke out.

A few moments pass, then Patton responds.

Locke, I am uploading the most current map I can find now. At the bottom of the stem appears to be a gambling room next to the docks. Newly arriving tourists seem eager to spend their money as soon as they arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |