Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever one I decide.
Here's a d2 to help. Let 2 be the room with the arm.
1d2 = (2) = 2

Here is the pvp challenge
Spoiler (click to reveal)
So, I will attack using Swordplay:

Base: 9 AGI, 9 STR, 3 PER

Acrobatics:...Flexible.....+1 Str....+1 Agi
..............Swing..................+2 Agi.....I use a chandelier on the ceiling

Swordplay:....Power Blow........................Must beat Str
..............Parry..................+2 Agi
..............Lunge..................+1 Agi

Total: 15 AGI, 10 STR. Does separate STR damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 207587. Dutys_Fist
  • 1d2 =
  • (2) =
  • Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:46 pm
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn as to whether Victor's attack is the same turn as the creature trying to get the arm. Normally in a CvC contest you know who is in the contest when you reveal your five Methods. It's not stated directly that someone can't jump in in the middle of a contest after a player reveals their Methods (which is something to fix) but it's not the intent as to how play should go. A player wouldn't be real happy with the GM if another combatant was introduced after they had revealed their five.

Because of that, I'm going to say we'll resolve the contest between Orr and the creature and then the creature will respond to Victor's attack (but can only swap two of it's methods and tricks).

So we need to know Orr's actions before this can proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orr calls upon all the grace he can muster.

Vigorous agility +2
Timing agility +1
Zigzag Run agility +1
Calm Nerves Trick
Focus will +1

Agility 8
Will 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the dance methods being called on. It makes sense and it's awesome.

Unfortunately it's not quite enough, the creature's final Agility score is 11 while Orrs is 8

The creature dives at the arm and snatches it up. Slashing at Orr, but this is more of an attempt to keep him away. Cogs and sprockets, housings and dozens of tiny screws fall to the floor and scatter.

No sooner does the creature snatch up the arm, Victor comes in and attacks it.

Animal Reflexes +1 AGI
Slash +1 AGI
Bluff Trick
Invitation +1 Per
Brass Bodied
This trick reduces any damage by three (3) points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to post the creature's totals. I think that Victor and the creature are the only one's involved in this combat so I'll just post them plainly.

AGI 5
STR 3
Per 3

Victor launches himself into the room leaps into the air and swings from the chandelier to drop down with a (very) powerful blow. The creature at first seems oblivious to his presence, making it a seemingly easy target. At the very last second, it jerks backward and to the side, very narrowly avoiding victor's blade.

The creature's bluff trick made it so Victor had to beat it's Perception score but they tied. Victor won the contest in every other way. The creature's next moves are. . .

Bluff Trick
Invitation +1 PER
Misdirection +1 PER
Parry +2 AGI
Brass Bodied
This trick reduces any damage by three (3) points.

Final Scores
AGI 5
STR 3
PER 4

If the creature isn't cut in half this turn by Victor, it's jumping out the window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC: Do I still deal str damage from Power Blow last round?

Base: 9 AGI, 9 STR, 3 PER

Acrobatics:...Flexible.....+1 Str....+1 Agi
..............Swing..................+2 Agi.....I use a chandelier on the ceiling
Swordplay:....Power Blow........................Must beat Str
..............Parry..................+2 Agi
..............Patience.....+2 Per....-1 Agi

Total: 14 AGI, 10 STR, 5 PER Does separate STR damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
OOC: Do I still deal str damage from Power Blow last round?
No, the bluff trick says that no damage is done if the opponent doesn't beat the Perception score. It's making moves that will avoid being struck.

In this round you did 13 points of damage. It only had 2SP so it's quite defeated. You get to narrate how it is defeated, maybe you destroy it, maybe you just capture it? That's up to you at this point.

There is a another hair raising scream.
Murder! Murder!
Coming from a woman down the hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor, with his rapier, pricks the clockwork machine, causing one of its gears to pop off and the whole machine to come crumpling down on the ground. He snatches the arm before it falls and gives it to Orr.

Hearing the bloody murder scream, Victor sighs, thinking about how much more he should be paid, and rushes towards what he believes to be its origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No one else going to save the ladies?
Victor arrives in the door just as the maidservant has caught her breath and belts out another "Murder!" right in his ear.

Lord Cooling is slumped by the window in a gory pool. His one natural arm hangs out the window. He is struggling to breath but he does not have long to live.

On the bed is a young maiden, her neck is black and blue and her arms are bandaged. She is pressed against the wall as far as she can get in terror.

The maidservant says "Doctor, need to get a doctor!" and runs from the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
Ham is confused by the all shouts and screams, sees Victor running past him, and almost collides with the maidservant as he attempts to follow him into the bedroom.

Seeing Lord Cooling's bloody figure brings him to his senses. "Quick! Towels! Hot water! Any medical supplies you have, bring them here!"

Ham kneels by Lord Cooling, loosens his vest and neck cloth, and checks where the bleeding comes from. "Lord... what happened here?"

Look them in the eye (+1 CHA), Examination (+1 PER), Clean (+1 PER), Bandage (+1 INT). Observation trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor takes out his loaded gun and approaches the shattered window, trying to shoot what he presumes is another infernal machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orr follows Victor into the other room. He looks around. Where is the machine that attacked Lord Cooling? He looks out the window as well, brandishing the arm so that it is visible to anything out there.

"I've got your infernal arm, clank! Come and get it!" He stands ready, whispering to Victor, "It's my sincerest wish that you are a good shot, sir."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ham thinks he can stabilize Cooling but he's 3 points under 0 on his SP which means he needs 6 points donated to him. Ham's Intelligence is high enough to handle that. It can come from Ham or from several players. Anyone interested in donating?

Victor sees another creature running from the house. He takes aim and. . .

The creature's moves to get away are . . .
Animal Reflexes +1 AGI
Quick as Lightning +1 AGI
Cover of Darkness +2 PER
Avian Awareness - Adds Perception to Agility
Brass Bodied (-3 Damage)

Final Scores
AGI 5 + 4 PER = AGI 9
PER 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will donate 2 SP towards this. If Victor doesn't want to contribute (he's our main fighter and might need to keep his SP) then I will contribute 3 SP instead.

Orr looks to the young lady and try to calm her down. "Miss, please relax. The good doctor will help your father and there is no more danger here. But if you can muster the strength, please help us. Is there anything you know about why these things came." Orr nods his head towards the window. "Did that one take anything before leaving?"

Respect Honor +2
Manners Honor +1
Proper Honor +1
Chat Trick
Enunciation Honor +1 Charm +1 (Since she clearly needs someone talking levelly at her)

Honor 9
Charm 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marksmanship:
Wait for it:Will +2
Calm Nerves: Add Will to Agi
Aim: Perception: +2
Rapid Shot: Agi +2

Mining:
Grit: Will +2

Total:
Will:9
Perception: 5
Agility: 20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor easily defeats the other creature, again, you may narrate what happens.

The Maiden shakes her head no in response to Orr's question, and then latches onto him tightly, sobbing.

Cooling still needs 3-4 SP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bullet passes cleanly through several gears and cogs, spilling a few on the floor.

Victor goes outside to recover the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
With Orr's help Ham stabilizes Lord Cooling. He's suffered terrible wounds, but he'll live.

Ham donates 3 sp as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orr has the arm set down on the floor as he comforts the girl. He keeps an eye on it, however. He is a man focused on work when there is work to do, and he is eager to examine the analytical engine he and Ham found. At least until Cooling can answer some questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Things calm down, the maid returns with the family doctor and he continues to care for Cooling. He thanks Ham and Orr for their quick intervention. You get the impression that he's not sure he could have saved Cooling if it were left to him.

The maid describes that the creature was going after Hanna (Lord Cooling's daughter) and Lord Cooling grabbed the thing and shoved it back out the window. In the process the windup stabbed him several times.

Victor drags what's left of the other creature back into the house.

With the family doctor caring for Lord Cooling and Hanna, Ham and Orr are free to examine the arm once more. Aside from it's size, they recognize this type analytical engine is fairly common but it must be programmed by and outside source. It isn't thinking for itself but is instructed by someone or something. But to program the arm to react in the way it has been described would take an absolute genius with impeccable timing. The two men recognize that it would be possible to do, but the likelihood of it being successful would normally be extraordinarily low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So what will be your next move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the dust has settled from the attack, Orr will examine the clank that tried to take the arm, trying to determine if he can find any identifying marks or other helpful signs. When Cooling regains consciousness, he will have more questions for him.

As he's working he says to his new colleagues, "This is a fine mess that I think none of us was expecting. Do either of you know how to proceed?"

Orr doesn't yet know about Victor's involvement and the mission he was to undertake for Cooling. Perhaps if Victor were to tell, Orr might offer to help...

Keen Mind trick, Magnify Perception +2, Ratios Intelligence +1, Assembly Order Intelligence +1, Equations Intelligence +2

Perception 5
Intelligence 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor will guard the house and keep watch for further intruders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
Ham surveys the scene, looks out of the window, checks the hallway, and ponders what happened, and why. He also looks for someone who might give him some answers. Who could want to harm Hanna? Was she the windup creatures' only target? Sending murdermachines against a young lady seems excessively violent, overly complicated, and more prone to surprises or failure than more mundane methods. And why the attack now, while Ham and the others were in the building?

"I'm positive that we can figure out the prosthetic arm, the analytical engine, how it did what it did. But this? This is a case for the police. Or the army."

"I could have died here. Lord Cooling still might. Now, I am staying with you here, more for my own protection than anything else, but I'm putting myself in danger and I want to know what is going on."

Looking for answers:

Theory (+1 INT), Logic (+1 INT), Examination (+1 PER), Look them in the Eye (+1 CHA) Observation trick

intelligence 10
perception 4
charm 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
Question: Skills you don't have, is there no way you can use them? Because with social challenges, I'd like to use skills like Persuasion or Command, but according to the rules pdf, the only way you can get these skills is to be born into royalty...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |