Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Orr starts to examine the windups and finds something bizarre. Attached to it's analytical engine is a cage. Inside one of the windups is a rat with part of it's skull removed and wires inserted into the brain of the rat. In the other is a song bird. It would seem that the hybrid creature is programed to carry out a task but the unfortunate animal is used to carry it out.

It may be possible to extract the things point of origin from the engine.

Ham starts to lay out the possibilities in his mind. It would seem unlikely that Hanna is any direct threat to anyone. Might it be possible that someone is trying to end the Cooling bloodline? Whoever is sending the windups, must have enormous resources but it normally would be easier to send a man to do this dirty deed. In addition, all attempts so far to kill her have failed. It would seem incongruous that someone with so many resources would be so grossly incompetent unless they are operating under extreme restrictions.

Therefore someone must be trying to cover their tracks. They must be a well known entity but not have the normal human agents that would do their work for them.

It would also seem likely that there would have to be someone in the house that can observe the goings on of the house and could instruct someone that could program the arm. Therefore the house staff is in question.

purplewurple wrote:
Question: Skills you don't have, is there no way you can use them? Because with social challenges, I'd like to use skills like Persuasion or Command, but according to the rules pdf, the only way you can get these skills is to be born into royalty...
To start out with in the PDF yes. There might be an Event or two on the wiki that have them. Skills can be purchased later by spending SP on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran out of time last post.

Victor roams the grounds, he sees no other evidence of more creatures. They must have been observing the house for some time now because he can see the tracks of the one that was shoved out the window, but there are no tracks leading up to the house. The brass beasts are heavy and leave a definite sign that they have walked across the grass.

Lord Cooling summons Orr and Ham to his bedside. "I imagine by now you have found evidence of sabotage?" He asks weakly. "With the attack on my house, there must be."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orr nods solemnly. "Your fears have been justified. We have found an analytical engine within your arm. Has anyone looked at the arm recently? Could it have been tampered with before the first time it acted up? Did nobody examine it afterwards? I fear your daughter will not be safe until we can find the culprit responsible."

At his earliest convenience, Orr will attempt to work out the point of origin from the engine. He will remain for the duration of this conversation, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Perhaps we should all visit the old captain? I would run this errand alone, but after what happened, I'm not sure if I can leave you folks without my assistance.

We could then determine much better whether or not the arm was manufactured with such a defect, or whether it has been inserted in..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"That sounds good. I say, Cooling, do you happen to have a gun I can use?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
Ham looks a bit pale, but you can see his analytical mind working.

"I must admit, I'm still confused. And to be completely honest, also quite intrigued by the nature of the attackers. If you say that we might find answers elsewhere, then I'll gladly accompany you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooling, answering Orr's question about anyone else having the arm, "As I said, I have only entrusted it to the clockmaker's guild, and then again when the first incident occurred. By itself, I would not suspect them, but these windups that attacked, who else would have the ability to make such a thing?" Cooling's face slowly goes from white and sickly to beet red. His voice gains strength. "I tell you that if they are behind this, I'll. . . I'll bring parlament to ban the lot of them and bring the guild leaders up for attempted murder and treason!"

The family doctor enters the room and chides Cooling for exerting himself. "Lord Cooling you must rest or you'll burst your stitches and start bleeding internally. If you keep this up, I will have to administer a sedative. Good sirs, we are indebted to you for your aid but you must try to keep him calm."

After Victor's suggestion Cooling replies. "Aye! Get the other arm and then we'll have proof it was the guild!"

At Orr's request for a gun. "There's my hunting gun in the den, over the desk, but there's no cartridges for it. Take it if it's any use to you. Look in my dressing cabinet there, you'll find my old navy repeater. There are four cartridges left in it. Haven't fired it in ages. Take that too if it will do you any good. I can't fire the thing left handed anyway."

He continues "Bring me a pad and my pen, and my wax seal. I'll give you a letter saying you are my representatives in an investigation. An attack on my home is an attack on parliament. With this signed and sealed note, I herby appoint you as special investigators for parliament and all the duties and privileges that entails to question and investigate this matter."

With that Cooling looks quite exhausted, he lays back in his bed. The doctor suggests he be given rest.

Victor knows the last time he heard about Joshua the Hawk, he was running a gambling ring under the assumed name of Gregor Black. He would normally be found in the less reputable pubs and opium dens making sure bets were paid. He had two rather slow but burly sods that helped him in the task. If Hamm or Orr were to try and find him it would take months, for Victor, it might be a matter of hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I am sure, Lord Cooling, that we shall find the other arm. However, I am worried about your safety. I think it unwise to leave your house just after your daughter has nearly died from assault. Perhaps, while we rearm, you should contact the authorities. Then we can all leave in peace."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggestion is well taken, the house manager telegraphs the constabulary and a dozen bobbies arrive within the hour. There is a considerable uproar in the house as the authorities begin to investigate the crime scene.

How much do you assist or withhold from the investigation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor repeats the same line over and over again. "There was an attempt on the Lord Cooling's life."
Of course, he has thoughtfully gathered most of the evidence and hidden it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orr grabs both guns as per Coolings suggestion. He stresses to the police about the girl being in danger asking that they look into any background issues that Cooling might not have shared or might not have considered.

How much power do special investigators for parliament have? Specifically, I want to keep the arm and at least one windup. If Orr feels he can tell the police about them and still keep them then he will do so. If he is unsure about that, then he will have asked the others to help put them someplace safe (an outside carriage?) until the group is ready to leave and only leave one windup for the police. Victor or Ham, do either of you object to leaving just a single windup?

After the initial rush of questions pass, Orr whispers to Victor, "We shouldn't let our trails grow cold. Perhaps we should trust these men to investigate adequately without us so that we can proceed in all haste? I fear time may be of the essence."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably wouldn't be unusual for Orr to just claim all of it as evidence in their investigation. I'll wait to see if Purple hops back in before continuing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
"To be honest, gentlemen, I'm glad the authorities are here. Our task, and our expertise, lies elsewhere. Let's leave it to the police to handle this mess, while we find ourselves some answers. As horrifying as an assault on a defenseless girl is, from what we have learned from the windups and the arm, this is bigger than mere attempted murder."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The constabulary is puzzled by the windup Orr is leaving with them. The lead examiner Charles Grey suggests, "If you gents can make heads or tails of this device, as parliamentary investigators i'd rather see it in your hands. Something doesn't seem right to me about it, stinks to high heaven if you ask me. If you'll be needin' any assistance, telegraph the main office and ask for me, I can provide manpower if you need it. We'll keep things buttoned down here."

What is your next move? Go look for the Hawk? Is there another direction you'd like to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, I'm heading out to the Grey Hawk, unless anyone else has other suggestions..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
"Very Good! Mister McIntyre, do you think you can locate this 'Joshua' character?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I stand ready to accompany you, Victor. Perhaps afterward we can interview the Clockmaker's guild."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. Let's go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few stops at various pubs and seedy neighborhoods that turn up nothing, Victor leads his companions to a pub overhanging a wharf in the Imahana harbor. It's is frequented by sailors and those attempting to flee the country and escape the law. Another reason to flee is if someone like the Hawk is looking for you.

In a corner of the pub the men recognize the brass and gilt arm, with it's powerful metal hand around the scruff of some poor sod's neck. Attached to that arm is the Grey Hawk, with shocks of black and grey hair that resemble bird's feathers. The Hawk stands a good head taller than the man he is scolding and wears a fine black cloak that lends him a regal look. This man is in fact a king, not of a nation but for all intents and purposes, his own corner of the underworld.

Five rough looking bruisers stand around, watching their lord and master's back. On seeing Victor, one taps the Hawk and points him out. Hawk immediately drops his quarry and his men begin to pummel the man. Hawk turns and smiles.

"Victor so good to see you!" He looks at Orr and Ham and laughs. "What's this? Have you taken up baby sitting?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orr looks levelly at Hawk, but says nothing, letting Victor do the talking. maybe a time will come that he needs to prove himself to this man, but now is most definitely not that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, old chap! How are you!", Victor boisterously yells.
As he approaches the Hawk, his tone drops to a whisper "you might not realize this, but a certain Lord Cooling has been attacked. I know you cared for him more than I, and I normally wouldn't bother to tell you this, but he believes that the mechanical arm he is wearing has been attempting to murder his daughter. Interestingly, he says that his arm is of the same make as yours. I have with me an expert in these contraptions, who has observed the Lord's arm and discovered a fault. Being your faithful crewmate, I cam immediately with him to you, so that we could perhaps examine your arm and determine if it had the same fault. While he does this, perhaps you could tell me the story of how you got the arm? I remember the loss, but not how you got a new one."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This catches Hawk a bit by surprise, he smiles slightly and he looks at Victor trying to size him up. He pauses for a long moment looks at Ham and Orr then nods his head.

"Now this is interesting." he remarks. Turning his head to the goons he says "You know, I'm not interested in the money any more, just get rid of him." A moment later one pulls out a knife and kills the man they've been beating.

"Captain Cooling eh? I'll tell you, I was wondering when this would come up again." He pauses and gets a wry grin on his face. "I've got something to show your playmates then. I think they'll rather like it. Come with me, it will be much more interesting for them to hear it from one of their own."

He again turns to the goons. "Toss him in the harbor."

The goon answers "You want us to weigh down the body so it don't float?"

"Not at all, when they retrieve the body it will send a message to anyone else that tries to elude me." he answers.

Two of the goons quickly dump the body out the window. One walks up to the bartender and hands him a Sovereign coin and tips his hat.

The Hawk strides out of the pub, his chin held high and a smile on his face. "And I was thinking this would be a dull day."

Will you follow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
Ham shoots a glance at Victor, and then at Orr. He will follow Victor's lead, and realizing that he's unarmed and in unknown and unfriendly territory, makes sure he stays close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor follow cautiously, his hand on the pommel of his knife. No one ever knows what the Hawk is up too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawk gets in a carriage that pulls up. "Get in, we'll talk on the way." He remarks. There's little point in not going so the three climb in cautiously.

Once the carriage gets moving Hawk says, "I want to take you to a friend of mine. Doctor Horatio Magus, Perhaps your companions here know the name but I doubt you would Victor. He used to be quite a name in their field. Now he works for me."

Ham and Orr can take a skill test to see if they recognize the name. As a matter of strategy, remember that more that one attribute may be in play and in this case you'll probably want to take different strategies to try and solve the test since if one tries the skill test and doesn't get it right, if the other tries the same thing both will fail.

"I have to have someone to maintain this infernal contraption." He says raising his clockwork arm. "Now you're not likely to know this, but the clockwork has become so complicated that it's not practical for a man to do all the maintenance on it so they have these machines they call auto tuners." He says to Victor. "Getting ahold of one was not easy and it cost me a lot but that little investment has payed for itself several times over since there are quite a few people that have mechanisms they can't take through the official channels."

Ham and Orr are a bit alarmed by this since the auto tuners need to communicate with Republic of Golin's main analytical engine via telegraph to have the proper metrics inputed for any given device. It would be inconceivable for any individual to be able to program an auto tuner.

"The doctor noticed something unusual happening with the auto tuner one day when I brought my arm in for an adjustment. I'll let him explain as I'm likely to get some of the details wrong. Suffice to say, it may have something to do with the Captain's predicament."

Hawk looks over at Ham and Orr, to see what their reaction to all this is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |