Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
"Mister Grey, thank you for this information. This is good news, as you say. I do have some doubts, however. Forgive me, it's in my nature to question things. Those windups were extremely sophisticated murder machines. Hybrids of mechanical strength and animal instinct that I have never before encountered, either in life, or in my studies. The fact that they've failed in their intended purpose is something to be grateful for, but it also raises questions as to the connection between the machines and their operators. If these highly dangerous apparatuses were commissioned by parliament, surely many safety checks were in place to make sure, absolutely sure, that control over them could never fall into the wrong hands.

Would it be out of the question to assist you in your interrogation of the guild leaders? There are some specifics to this situation that would help Mister Orr and myself to form a more complete picture of all the variables involved in this mechanical danger to parliament and the country."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay, I've been running the last few days.

As far as being involved with the interrogations, as special investigators for parliament you could probably just insist on being involved. Mr. Grey really doesn't have a leg to stand on to say no.

"What's all this?" Lord Cooling asks weakly. "What are you three on about? We know the guild is involved, if you think this is bigger than the men that were working on the windups I'll have Mr. Grey shut down the whole guild! Can't have anyone running off while we only have the ones taking the orders in a cell."

Mr. Grey is a bit shaken. "S-shut down the guild? Oh Lord Cooling, I-I don't know if I have the authority to do that!"

"Nonsense! I'll have Lord Becking pass a referendum and give you the authority by tomorrow!" Cooling answers, his face gaining color and finally turning red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing Lord Cooling's passion and Me. Grey's reluctance gives Orr an idea. He seeks to get Victor and Ham alone to share with them. Aloud, he says to Lord Cooling, "I don't know that shutting down a guild is necessary at this point. There is still an investigation underway to determine the extent of corruption. Let us conduct our interviews first, at least, an maintain a police guard over your home."

To his friends he says, "Gentlemen, perhaps we can have a word in private. At your convenience, of course."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, I was thinking you gents would converse with each other at Corey's suggestion. If not, shall I continue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmmettO wrote:
Um, I was thinking you gents would converse with each other at Corey's suggestion. If not, shall I continue?
and I thought that you would aquiese to his request first

In private, Victor asks Orr what is that Orr wants to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmb
Ham is with Victor and Bertram Orr, listening to what Orr has to tell them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Shields
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I was giving everyone a chance to keep the current scene going. This wasn't a time-sensitive conversation. Just a bit of strategizing.

Orr leads them to another room. "Gentleman, seeing Cooling's passion just now it is clear he is willing to be rash and go to extraordinary lengths to protect his daughter. Such actions would prove disruptive in the least. We need to keep him calm and level headed while we are performing our normal investigation. But such a time may come when a little chaos would serve us. After all, whoever is behind this will likely know that we are investigating, and we clearly need to speak with the clockmakers guild. Let us proceed with that as normal. However, based on what we learn there, we might have need to investigate with less attention placed on us. Perhaps a measure of stealth would benefit us. If that turns out to be the case then it might behoove us to encourage Cooling to pursue such a radical course of action; the chaos provided by trying to shut down a guild would take attention off of us should we pursue another line of inquiry.

My proposal, gentlemen, is to interview the guild as normal. Indeed proceed with the investigation as normal. But the moment it becomes clear that a little stealth is needed, to encourage the shut down of the guild. Perhaps that will never become necessary, but I ask that you two keep a watchful eye open with me for just such an opportunity."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjerker wrote:
Heh, I was giving everyone a chance to keep the current scene going. This wasn't a time-sensitive conversation. Just a bit of strategizing.

Orr leads them to another room. "Gentleman, seeing Cooling's passion just now it is clear he is willing to be rash and go to extraordinary lengths to protect his daughter. Such actions would prove disruptive in the least. We need to keep him calm and level headed while we are performing our normal investigation. But such a time may come when a little chaos would serve us. After all, whoever is behind this will likely know that we are investigating, and we clearly need to speak with the clockmakers guild. Let us proceed with that as normal. However, based on what we learn there, we might have need to investigate with less attention placed on us. Perhaps a measure of stealth would benefit us. If that turns out to be the case then it might behoove us to encourage Cooling to pursue such a radical course of action; the chaos provided by trying to shut down a guild would take attention off of us should we pursue another line of inquiry.

My proposal, gentlemen, is to interview the guild as normal. Indeed proceed with the investigation as normal. But the moment it becomes clear that a little stealth is needed, to encourage the shut down of the guild. Perhaps that will never become necessary, but I ask that you two keep a watchful eye open with me for just such an opportunity."
"Perhaps we could ask Lord Cooling or the investigators for some identity or other way in. I'm sure they could help us..., and as the proverb goes, 'better safe than dead'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple, you can still have Ham agree or disagree, I'm just going to roll the scene a little.

The guild members that were on the windup project are being arrested so getting into the guild might not be necessary yet.

"We will have the culprits in the quad by morning. You can come down then and we'll begin the investigations. I'd prefer my men to do the initial questioning but you're welcome to observe and then ask further questions as you see a need. The wife is already sore at me for skipping her meat pie so it's time for me to turn in. I'll see you in the morning then." Mr. Grey retires for the night.

The three men are shown guest quarters in Cooling's manor.

Dawn breaks and the three men have an appointment to keep so they take a cab to the quad.

On arriving they're shown a cell, there are twenty men in the cell, all looking very unhappy and like they were pulled out of bed in the middle of the night.

"That's the first lot" The officer remarks. "We're full up with em'" He takes you around the corner to another row of four cells. "Ere's the rest of em." All four cells have a similar number of men as the first.

Mr. Grey arrives with three other detectives. "Right, Harvey." He calls to the officer, "We'll need the store room cleared out and the kitchen so we have more space. We'll do one cell at a time, and make sure to keep the ones interviewed separate from the ones that haven't been." He leans in and whispers to Harvey "These are smart buggers, so don't give em' no liberties or they're likely to disappear on us."

The interrogations start, the detectives ask questions along the lines of "What is your role in the Guild?" "Why did you arrange for Lord Cooling to be attacked?" "What relationship do you have with Mistress Cooling or the Cooling family." "What made you want to commit treason?" Some of the detectives ask with more grace and tact than others.

Some things that come up during the interrogations.

Eli Grahm a young guild member maintains his innocence but admits to having sent letters to Mistress Cooling professing his love for her. She did not return his correspondence.

Gregor Tuli the man behind the brain interface in the windups expresses some anti Golin sentiment and passingly refers to the advanced technology of Ogen. He seems the least helpful of all the people interrogated.

Thomas Aden the lead designer of the windups admits that he knew all the windups had gone missing two days before the attacks but that they were working to locate them. They weren't able to come to the police because of the secret nature of the project.

Any questions you'd like to ask?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  |