Legacy of Dragonholt
Xas Irkalla
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Blades in the Dark
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
Fall of Magic
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Good Society: A Jane Austen Role-Playing Game
Knights & Legends
Complete Gunslinger
Fey Folio
SPACERS Core
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Curse of Strahd
The Skeletons
M-Space
Kids on Bikes
Woodfall
Knights & Legends the Rogue Priest Expansion and Campaign
Changeling: The Lost Second Edition
City
Red Bat Cthulhu
The Santa Lands
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
MJ1: Media Junkie: Take One
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Clash of the Princes
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Assault on the Goblin Hold
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Adventurer's Guide
Index Card RPG Core
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Maria in Three Parts
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Scum and Villainy
The Vaults of K'Horror
Dungeon Delve Adventure #2: Dungeons of the Dread Wyrm
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
El Tesoro de Córdoba
All That Glitters is Palladium: A Short History of Palladium Books
Monarchies of Mau Guide's Screen
Mother's Maze
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2012 we had our first Newbie Friendly RPG Play-by-Forum event and it turned out to be hugely successful. We had 22 games which were full in less than a day - and we added another 25 or so games to help meet demand. You can see the initiative from last year here:

RPG Geek Newbie-Friendly Play-By-Forum Initiative!

In 2013 we plan on having another Newbie Friendly PBF event. I'd like to have a full slate of PBF games lined up for this come January 6th, 2013 (the day we plan to kick this all off). All games will be run here on the Geek - the dice rolling facilities and the dedicated PBF threads are a great place to find adventure.

Based on an informal poll, it looked like there would be enough folks to have 50 games. You can see some of the games GMs are planning on running here:

2013 Newbie PbF Initiative Pre-release

This thread is for willing Game Masters to post their Elevator Pitches for games they will run come January. Please only post an Elevator Pitch if you are sure you'll run a game. PBF on any online community has their share of players dropping out - it seems to be the nature of the beast. But I want to make sure the GMs are generally willing to see this through.

For anyone that wants to sign up to be a Get Involved-GM, you should keep the following things in mind:

1. Players will be new and will need explanation of the rules without having to buy rules or download/read complicated rules.

2. Games should be short. Very short. This way, time commitment is not a huge issue. Last year I ran a 16 page introductory Pathfinder Adventure that I thought would take 2 months to complete - instead it took closer to 6 months. It was quite fun - and everyone enjoyed it... but be warned: if you think it's too short it probably isn't short enough!

3. You will need to write up an elevator pitch about the game you are running so potential players can see if it fits with their desires. You should post your Elevator pitch to this thread (I'll cull this thread of Elevator Pitches out into a Geeklist at the end of the month).

I will add my elevator pitch for a PBF of Pathfinder below. You can also use this thread to ask questions or get clarifications. You can edit your elevator pitches up until December 29th, 2012 (that week I'll be collecting them into a geeklist).

Thanks to all the willing GMs for helping to make this event amazing! We'll be even better prepared than last year and hopefully gain another group of converts to RPGs. Some of the very best RPG Geeks came out of last years newbie crop

-Dave

Edit: Some helpful posting tags you can use to place your graphics in specific spots in your post are
[ floatright]
[ /floatright]

[ center]
[ /center]

[ floatleft]
[ /floatleft]

without the leading space. If you surround your [imageid=xxxxxx] with floatright or floatleft tags, it will position the graphic to the right or left and flow text around it. This is what I've done in my first pitch below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is a very traditional role-playing game released as a spin-off of the venerable Dungeons & Dragons (3.5 Edition). Released in 2009, Pathfinder has recently become the leading RPG by sales - surpassing even D&D itself. The game features high-fantasy with elements similar to what you would find in popular fantasy novels (Lord of the Rings, DragonLance, Wizard's First Rule, etc). Combat generally takes place on a grid and has a very tactile feel to it - similar to combat from popular boardgames like Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Descent: Journeys in the Dark. Being a traditional RPG, it combines elements of role-playing (interaction with the environment and dialog between players and other characters within the adventure) with combat (which has a very gamey feel to it).
The adventure which is being offered up here is called D0: Hollow's Last Hope and is an introductury adventure for 1st level characters. We will be using the pregenerated characters from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box so you can jump into the action with balanced characters and get right down to playing.

The intro from the adventure:

The town of Falcon's Hollow needs a miracle.

The plague has come to the town of Falcon's Hollow, and not even the town's priest can abate its wretched course. With the coughs of the sick and the wails of the dying echoing through town, the local herbalist uncovers a cure, but she needs some brave heroes to retrieve the ingredients. Finding the cure means risking the dangerous Darkmoon Vale, infiltrating a witch's haunted hut, and delving the ruins of an abandoned Dwarven monastery.

Hollow's Last Hope is a wilderness exploration and dungeon adventure for 1st-level characters, compatible with the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game. This sixteen-page adventure includes details on the haunted forest and deadly ruins that hide the key ingredients to the town's salvation. Do your heroes have the skill and courage to find the cure in time?

This adventure will take 4 players. To sign-up for this adventure please post your willingness to participate directly to this geeklist item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dresden Files Night Fears pitch

The The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game uses the Fate 3.0 system as the engine to run RPGs in the universe of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. This is a world that is much like the Earth today, except werewolves, demons, vampires, zombies, faeries, sprites, and magic actually exist along with all the modern-day conveniences to which we have become accustomed. Wizards, and other entities that contain magic powers or properties usually wreak havoc on modern electronics and other man-made items. The world's population is split roughly into two portions, the ones that are "in the know" and the ones that are not. "In the know" individuals know that magic exists and is all around them, while those not in the know either have no clue, or are harbouring such a deep denial that they may as well not know.

Fate 3.0 is a free RPG system that focuses on telling stories and balancing characters based on story significance, rather than points and cool powers. It's the system of choice for GMs who are looking for rules that get out of the way of the story, but still provide enough structure to get the job done.

The adventure being offered is Casefile: Night Fears, a one-shot mystery-adventure intended for 3-7 teen characters at a very low power level. It comes with customizable, pregenerated characters and is well suited for a beginner group, both in system and roleplaying. If you already have knowledge of the background this might help, but it is not really needed.

A small intro to the adventure:

The old Cranston house had stood unoccupied for as long as anyone could remember. Few spoke of why. After a while, everything just passed into rumour, and now nobody knows the truth for sure.

But they do know one thing: it's one hell of a spooky house. If you can make it through the whole night in the Cranston house, you'll be legendary back at school, kings and queens of the hallways.

So, anybody up for a dare? Come on, we can do it. It'll be a scream.

This adventure will take 5 players. Pregenerated characters will be provided, no knowledge of the rules is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

I will be running TWO instances of Lady Blackbird for the newbie initiative. The game takes Five players for each game.

Lady Blackbird is a fabulous and simple game by John Harper. The introduction to the game is less than half a page of A4 in size but provides the perfect hook for anyone to sink their teeth into.

"Lady Blackbird is on the run from an arranged marriage to Count Carlowe. She hired a smuggler skyship, The Owl, to take her from her palace on the Imperial world of Ilysium to the far reaches of the Remnants, so she could be with her once secret lover: the pirate king Uriah Flint.

However, just before reaching the halfway point of Haven, The Owl was pursued and captured by the Imperial cruiser Hand of Sorrow, under charges of flying a false flag.

Even now, Lady Blackbird, her bodyguard, and the crew of The Owl are detained in the brig, while the Imperial commander runs the smuggler ship’s registry over the wireless. It’s only a matter of time before they discover the outstanding warrants and learn that The Owl is owned by none other than the infamous outcast, Cyrus Vance.

How will Lady Blackbird and the others escape the Hand of Sorrow?

What dangers lie in their path?

Will they be able to find the secret lair of the pirate king? if they do, will Uriah Flint accept Lady Blackbird as his bride? By the time they get there, will she want him to?

Go. Play. And find out."

Lady Blackbird uses a very simple system that involves taking a characters' Traits and Tags (Eg: Burglar: Quiet, Sneak, Locks) to which you add "pool dice", and attempting to gain a number of successes (4 or over on the dice) equal to the difficulty of the task.

The learning curve of Lady Blackbird is remarkably short. In fact, the hardest part of Lady Blackbird is getting used to the fact that the GM doesn't tell the story so much as the players do. I will be there to ask questions, play NPC's, throw in challenges and steer you in the right direction. But it is the players that decide if and what dangers and challenges confront them, aided by their success or failure with the dice rolls.

Game A: and game B: will each take five characters, which are pre-generated as shown in the free pdf (follow the link from the Lady Blackbird page). Sign up for either game from the Geeklist Item. Please specify Game A: or Game B: and which character you want to play (you do not need to play the same sex as in real life, but please ensure you feel comfortable playing a female if you are male and vice versa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster of the Week

I love this game by
Mike Sands
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I do. So I became a Keeper. And I'll stay a Keeper.
I am running one PbF already now, and I will start up at least another one as part of the Newbie-Friendly Initiative.

The game pitches itself better perfectly clearly -
Monster of the Week wrote:
"There are monsters out there ...
and you are mean enough, smart enough, crazy enough, or hurt enough, to fight them.
Maybe you'll defend your hometown from evil.
Maybe you'll take to the road and hunt them down.
Maybe you have magic powers to fight with.
Maybe your name appears in an ancient prophecy.
One thing's for sure.
You aren't going back to your old, safe life."

I will take four players, who will jointly generate their Hunters, their group concept (drawing on TV series and graphic novels such as Buffy, Supernatural, Hellboy, Fringe, X Files, and many many more), their backgrounds, and in this way also develop the style of the game.
This is a episodic game, in principle; we will start with a clear-cut Hunt which could become the pilot for a whole season of monster-hunting.

MotW is an *World game (such as Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World Roleplaying Game, and more recently tremulus. This means heavy emphasis will be put on the unique archetype of each character, on decisions and their consequences. The rules are simple. Play proceeds by in-character descriptions, the "fiction", which occasionally triggers dicerolls. Combat and, in fact, magic are no exception to this principle. The "Keeper" never rolls dice, but will often ask hard questions, and has their own set of moves to pace the action.

For more information, read the awesome review here:
Hunting vampires, Mongolian death worms, and terrors from the beyond – Powered by the Apocalypse!

As stated above, this adventure will take 4 players. To sign-up for this adventure please post your willingness to participate directly to this geeklist item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is a very traditional role-playing game released as a spin-off of the venerable Dungeons & Dragons (3.5 Edition). Released in 2009, Pathfinder has recently become the leading RPG by sales - surpassing even D&D itself. The game features high-fantasy with elements similar to what you would find in popular fantasy novels (Lord of the Rings, DragonLance, Wizard's First Rule, etc). Combat generally takes place on a grid and has a very tactile feel to it - similar to combat from popular boardgames like Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Descent: Journeys in the Dark. Being a traditional RPG, it combines elements of role-playing (interaction with the environment and dialog between players and other characters within the adventure) with combat (which has a very gamey feel to it).

Adventure Intro:
Deep in the Forest of Karnath a great evil is growing. Wild animals are attacking the nearby towns, and none seem able to stop its course. Heroes have been called to stop the spreading darkness, but all have failed. Will you be able to take on the hordes of evil?

To sign-up for this adventure please post your willingness to participate directly to this geeklist item. This adventure will take 4-5 players, and pre-generated characters will be available, with the option to create your own. No previous knowledge of the rules are needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb

Embark upon a journey of adventure and intrigue into a land where battle-hardened characters gird themselves in mail and metal and take up their weighty blades and draw forgelock pistols against their enemies, where steamjacks belch ash and steam as they tread battlefields and cobbled city streets alike. Adventure through the lands of western Immoren, where steam power fused with magic creates a fantasy experience like no other.

The Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy Roleplaying Game is a new version of the Iron Kingdoms RPG, based on the world of the popular Warmachine Prime Mk II and Hordes Primal Mk II miniature games. The setting is a hybrid of fantasy (there is magic and races like dwarves, trolls and elfkind) and steampunk (people in the world use "jacks" or heavy machines, running on coal). It is an action / investigative game so there is a good healthy mix of roleplay and combat. The system itself is based on the miniatures game rules and pretty easy: roll 2d6, add your skill and beat a fixed number to succeed. Combat is fast and deadly, a perfect fit for the gritty world.

The adventure offered is Spirit in steel, an adventure published in No Quarter magazine #44. It is suited for beginners and offers a interesting story line and some combat to test your skills. We will use the pregenerated characters available in this thread: [Character sheets] Spirit in steel. They are also in this free pdf which contains the condensed rules. You do not need to read the full pdf rules if you don't want as I will explain the basics before we start.

This adventure will take up to 4 players. The plan is for the whole thing to take about four months but it could be as much as six depending on posting frequency. If you'd like to play, please add a comment directly to this geeklist item indicating your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmb

This sounds fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

This sounds fun !

You're not eligible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Perez
United States
Worland
WY
flag msg tools
badge
[SKEPTICAL SIGHING]
mbmbmbmbmb
Still on the fence about giving it a go. But I'm leaning toward it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb

No one in this game is innocent.

You're an Agent. No one ever messes with you, because you are that far above the common herd of men that sleepwalk through their lives. You get things done, and that usually means blood. Or pain. Or, when you are feeling generous, death.

Inspired by every ultraviolent action movie you've ever seen, Hollowpoint is about being that good at something that bad. Make no mistake: you will be a very, very bad person.

The specifics of the setting and the mission will be determined by the GM (me) and the players (maybe you!) together. Knowledge of the rules is not necessary. I'll cover everything you need to know at the beginning of the game.

This is a very violent game about people who are really good at some really bad things. If this appeals to you, sign up! First come; first serve!

This adventure will take 3 - 5 players. The plan is for the whole thing to take about two months but it could go longer. To sign-up for this adventure please post your willingness to participate directly to this geeklist item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

This sounds fun !

You're not eligible

Yeah, well... at least I'm legible ! Wait, no. Edible ? Maybe. Dirigible !

Ha ! So there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been GMing a lot of Dungeon World lately and now I'm divided between doing DW or D&D 4E (diametrically opposite games in many senses). On one hand, D&D 4E reignited the RPG spark in me after several years, I love it and I feel it appeals amazingly to boardgamers; on the other hand, Dungeon World is perfect for a newbie-friendly PbF, the lack of initiative should decrease downtime a lot, the rules are light, quick to explain and remain mostly under the hood. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon World! If the newbies like it, they can buy it for 10$. That's much easier access than getting into D&D 4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The System:

The Adventure:We Be Goblins!
The Licktoad goblins of Brinestump Marsh have stumbled upon a great treasure—fireworks! Yet unfortunately for them, the tribe member responsible for the discovery has already been exiled for the abhorrent crime of writing (which every goblin knows steals words from your head). To remedy this situation, the Licktoads’ leader, His Mighty Girthness Chief Rendwattle Gutwad, has declared that the greatest heroes of the tribe must venture forth to retrieve the rest of the fireworks from a derelict ship stranded in the marsh. In order to prove themselves as the Licktoads’ bravest goblins, the PCs must complete a series of dangerous dares, from swallowing bull slugs and braving the dreaded Earbiter to dancing with Squealy Nord himself. Yet even once they’ve proven their mettle, the adventure is just beginning. For the ship in question is far from uninhabited, and Vorka the cannibal goblin would like nothing better than a few tasty visitors....

Pathfinder Society:
In an organized play campaign, your character exists in a common setting shared by thousands of other gamers from around the world. In each Pathfinder Society game, your character experiences adventures in two different ways.
You can take your character to any public Pathfinder Society event anywhere in the world, and while the Game Master and your companions might change every time you play, your character advances as normal.

This adventure will be run as part of Pathfinder Society Organized Play. When you successfully complete the scenario, you will be awarded a Chronicle Sheet! You may apply the Chronicle Sheet to a new legal character for online or in-person play at any Pathfinder Society event. Learn more about Pathfinder Society and free registration here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety, or PM your GMs if you have questions.
If this sounds like fun and you don't qualify for Newbie play, subscribe to the RPGGeek Pathfinder Society Guild (link) so you will know when the next Play-by-Forum starts.

Signing Up:
The adventure should take about 4 months. It is self-contained and humorous. There will be 3 tables of 5 players each, for a total of 15 participants. Your gamemasters(GMs) will be:

United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(2 tables)

Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(1 table)

We will be using pregenerated goblin characters. To sign up, post directly below this geeklist entry and rank the three characters you would most like to play. Your choices are Fighter, Barbarian (fighter with less impulse control), Rogue (backstabbing thief), Cleric (casts holy or profane spells), and Alchemist (throws bombs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to run Castle Falkenstein, but
1) it would have to be with pre-gen characters, because the rules aren't widely available and character gen really needs lots of reading over available options. While this isn't a problem (I have three or four con modules with pre-gens that I can run) I'm not sure how attractive pre-gens are to people compared to making their own characters
and 2) it would require a minor adjustment to how the card system works to make it run with the geek 'card' roller. Which again, shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering if I should run something where I won't have to make any adjustments.

opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmb

My 2c on the last couple questions looking for opinions,

Simplicity is King. The more accessible the better, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: Assuming the games fill (as they did last year), could we potentially have a substitute player list? To replace those people who will inevitably drop out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts:

regency_rhi wrote:

1) it would have to be with pre-gen characters, because the rules aren't widely available and character gen really needs lots of reading over available options. While this isn't a problem (I have three or four con modules with pre-gens that I can run) I'm not sure how attractive pre-gens are to people compared to making their own characters

Some folks may prefer to be handed characters that they can just run with. And really, in the spirit of taking care of yourself, I'd say offer the pre-gens, and let the players decide if it's for them or not.

regency_rhi wrote:

2) it would require a minor adjustment to how the card system works to make it run with the geek 'card' roller. Which again, shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering if I should run something where I won't have to make any adjustments.

Compromises of various sorts often need to be made in order to play some games in a PbF environment. I wouldn't worry about it, unless the adjustments prove to be a hardship on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
My thoughts:

regency_rhi wrote:

Some folks may prefer to be handed characters that they can just run with. And really, in the spirit of taking care of yourself, I'd say offer the pre-gens, and let the players decide if it's for them or not.

I think that having pre-gen characters could even be helpful to someone completely new to RPGs and make it easier to join the game. Too complicated character creation might even drive the most timid newbies away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
I think that having pre-gen characters could even be helpful to someone completely new to RPGs and make it easier to join the game. Too complicated character creation might even drive the most timid newbies away

+1.
Wherever possible, pre-gens could already be put up on a dedicated Wiki, together with some basic rules, by the time the game starts.
Won't work for my game, but for many others this should be feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Suggestion: Assuming the games fill (as they did last year), could we potentially have a substitute player list? To replace those people who will inevitably drop out?

We definitely can do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great initiative, and I will try and put a pitch together. Thinking about trying to keep a two month limit is a challenge. I'm inclining towards finding a suitable short Tunnels & Trolls dungeon crawl, for simple and deadly old school fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apropos pre-gens: lots of the entries last year used them and it didn't seem to be a turnoff at all. A nice compromise is to build a couple of simple choices into the pre-gens, like choosing between A and B for traits.

Also, looking at our master list, I don't see any superhero games. If anybody out there is up for running one, that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial draft for comments

The System:
The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is a traditional role-playing game released as a spin-off of Dungeons & Dragons ("D&D"). Released in 2009, Pathfinder may have become the leading RPG by sales - possibly surpassing even D&D itself. The game features high-fantasy with elements similar to what you would find in popular fantasy movies and TV series (Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, Legend of the Seeker, Conan, Princess Bride, etc).

The game rules for Pathfinder are fairly voluminous and can be intimidating to the uninitiated, which is why this PBF will be run 'rules-lite'. Tell the GM what you want to do and the GM will try and figure out the most efficient method of legally achieving your goals and even roll the dice for you. All you have to do is focus on the roleplaying and decision making, and leave the mechanics and the results of your actions to the GM.

The Adventure:
The adventure offered is In Service to Lore, a Pathfinder adventure for 5 Characters. From the publisher's website:

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st level characters. In Service to Lore is part one of the three-part First Steps campaign arc, designed specifically for 1st level characters as an introduction into the Pathfinder Society Organized Play.

In your first mission as a Pathfinder agent, the head of the Grand Lodge sends you on a number of missions throughout the metropolis of Absalom, pitting you against traps,thieves, and even an unruly devil, all in the pursuit of knowledge.

Important things to note:
1) This scenario is designed for play in Pathfinder Society Organized Play, and the players will be required to register as members of Pathfinder Society if they are not already members. Don't worry, registration is free! If you run into any problems, the GM will be there to help you along. At the end of the scenario, the GM will issue to you a Chronicle Sheet for completing the scenario. You may apply the Chronicle Sheet to any of your new characters and the credit will be recognized when you use that character at any officially sanctioned Pathfinder event.

2) Posting rate: In order to be fair to all the other players and to keep the momentum going, players are requested to check in on the thread and post at least once a day on average. From time to time, it is expected that real life will get in the way, and players will be expected to give notice to the others either by posting or a geekmail to the GM. This is not meant as a policing measure, but because we care about you and we wonder if you're ok when you don't post. Rest assured that if you do miss a post once or twice and forget to give notice, the GM will NOT kick you off the PBF . The adventure should take up to 3 months (probably shorter) and that is how long you will be committed for.

3) For your convenience, and so we can get to the action quickly, we will be using pregenerated iconic characters, unless you have prior Pathfinder experience and can create a new character ready for play.

4) This should go without saying, but please be considerate about the feelings of other people, even when making 'in character' comments. That said, PBFs are also about being creative and expressing yourself and jointly creating a story. Rest assured that the GM will not be policing and scrutinizing every post for political correctness. Just be yourself. If things get out of line, the GM will geekmail you.

Thank you for understanding and accommodating. To sign up, please post 'Sign me up!' below this geeklist entry! First 5 signups will form the party. See you in Absalom!

edit: Added point 4 above. I guess some things can't be taken for granted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.