Lankhmar: Savage Tales of the Thieves Guild
SOLO: Solo RPG Campaigns for the Cepheus Engine
Forest Keeper Deluxe Edition
Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage
Philohuman BBQ
Natural Selection
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Delta Green
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Escape from Innsmouth (2nd Edition)
Wizard
Secrets
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Goldfinger
Villains
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
For Your Information
Hot War
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
Heart of Ice
Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade
Wraith Recon
Runic Magic System for use in L.R.P
Tome of Adventure Design
DCC #067: Sailors on the Starless Sea
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the newbies coming in, I thought I'd start a thread for people to post the sites with all the tips and tricks to build more effective characters and to help your characters stay alive:

1) Commonly Overlooked Tactics

Lots of ideas for tactics here!

2) Guide to the Class Guides

This is primarily a collection of guides to help you build a character. Lots of ideas for character concepts.

3) Pathfinder Society Survival 101

Survival tool kit tips!

4) Strategy Articles and Player Aid Downloads

A nice collection of articles and player aids.

5) General PBF advice on paizo forums

General PBF advice on the paizo forums

6) Fast Play PFS Character Creation

Create PFS characters quickly (credit: dbeman)

7) Brent Johnson's Guide to Overcoming Diseases

Guide on what to do if your PC gets hit by a disease. Insurance not included.

8) Optimization Guides Compendium

Optimization Guides Compendium at Giant in the Playground forums

9) A Guide to Traits

Just what everyone needs to narrow down a sea of traits out there...

10) New Must Have Gear

What to buy from Ultimate Equipment...

11) Cheap Magic Items You Really Enjoy

More goodies...

12) Compilation of Message Board Clarifications

Useful for paizo clarifications

Feel free to add your own links!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one really handy trick mentioned is delaying. Sometimes it's very advantageous to let an ally, or even an enemy, go first.

However in PbF there are some real barriers to delaying. It's very difficult to interrupt and jump in when you like, because posts can pass you by. So I think it's important if you're delaying to give some kind of criteria, like "I'll delay until the fighter can attack so my rogue can flank", etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
mb
MikeHadfield wrote:
I think one really handy trick mentioned is delaying. Sometimes it's very advantageous to let an ally, or even an enemy, go first.

However in PbF there are some real barriers to delaying. It's very difficult to interrupt and jump in when you like, because posts can pass you by. So I think it's important if you're delaying to give some kind of criteria, like "I'll delay until the fighter can attack so my rogue can flank", etc.

Same with Readying an action - definitely make use of the tactic, but be very clear about the criteria. If the target moves. If the target begins spellcasting.
I'd also suggest players include the roll for their delayed/readied action on the post, even after the fact (by clicking the 'add a roll' link) so it doesn't appear in the text. GM's should still be playing their monsters and NPCs without omniscience, after all.

This will let decide on what actions their characters will take, check and apply your rolls, and then finish up their part of the turn without waiting on the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
MikeHadfield wrote:

Same with Readying an action - definitely make use of the tactic, but be very clear about the criteria. If the target moves. If the target begins spellcasting.
I'd also suggest players include the roll for their delayed/readied action on the post, even after the fact (by clicking the 'add a roll' link) so it doesn't appear in the text. GM's should still be playing their monsters and NPCs without omniscience, after all.

This will let decide on what actions their characters will take, check and apply your rolls, and then finish up their part of the turn without waiting on the player.

The overlooked tactics thread contains an excellent example of archers with readied attacks triggered by PC spellcasting...and how the spellcaster manages to avoid losing his spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Really useful links, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
shawnssica wrote:
MikeHadfield wrote:

The overlooked tactics thread contains an excellent example of archers with readied attacks triggered by PC spellcasting...and how the spellcaster manages to avoid losing his spell.

Believe it or not, I had actually thought of that before reading that thread. I was planning on using it sometime with Pharlan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting thread on the paizo boards giving PBF advice:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nr91?DHs-Guide-to-Play-By-Post-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a handout that my semi-local Venture Captain uses for new players as a middle ground between playing a pre-gen & designing your own character.

Fast Play Character Creation Guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that trying to get rid of disease after playing through a PFS scenario is a fairly common situation. Typically, you have to make two consecutive throws. There doesn't seem to be any real limit to how long you can keep trying, but the progression of the disease may make it progressively more difficult, and may eventually be deadly.

If you happen to have a character in the party with a decent Heal skill, you can gain a significant advantage:
Quote:
To treat a disease means to tend to a single diseased character. Every time the diseased character makes a saving throw against disease effects, you make a Heal check. If your Heal check exceeds the DC of the disease, the character receives a +4 competence bonus on his saving throw against the disease.

Time: 10 minutes.

There are ways to make it more likely for a healer - especially a cleric, oracle, druid, or witch - to provide that bonus.

A Healer's Kit costs 50 gp, but provides 10 uses. So that's 5 gp per Heal check.
Quote:
This collection of bandages and herbs provides a +2 circumstance bonus on Heal checks. A healer’s kit is exhausted after 10 uses.

That bonus can no longer be increased by 1 with a one-time 20 gp purchase of Surgeon's Tools.
Quote:
When in conjunction with a healer’s kit, surgeon’s tools raise the kit’s bonus to a +3 circumstance bonus on Heal checks to treat wounds or deadly wounds.

It appears to me that a single casting of Diagnose Disease will help with all subsequent saving throws - over however many days it takes! That's one 25 gp scroll.
Quote:
You determine whether a creature, object, or area carries any sort of disease or infestation (including molds, slimes, and similar hazards), or any exceptional or supernatural effects causing the sickened or nauseated effects. If there is disease present, you know what disease it is and its effects. If the target is a creature, you gain a +4 bonus on Heal checks to treat the creature’s disease. The spell can penetrate many barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Duration: Instantaneous

Application of Bodybalm (25 gp) provides a stacking bonus! (Although it doesn't say, I presume that this lasts for only one Heal check.)
Quote:
When this pungent yellow powder is boiled in water and given to a creature to drink, it provides the attending healer a +5 alchemical bonus on Heal checks for providing long-term care, treating poison, and treating disease.

All told, that's a +12 +11 bonus on a Heal check, which with a decent Heal skill is essentially a guaranteed +4 competence bonus to a saving throw, at a cost less per saving throw (once you've amortized it over two or three) than Antiplague, which costs 50 gp per dose.
Quote:
If you drink a vial of this foul tasting, milky tonic, you gain a +5 alchemical bonus on Fortitudes saving throws against disease for the next hour. If already infected, you may also make two saving throws (without the +5 bonus) that day and use the better result.

It's more likely that the Antiplague will make a difference at lower DCs, and more likely that the Heal bonus will make a difference at higher DCs. (With no other bonus on the Fortitude save, the Heal bonus starts to be better at DC 14, if I've done the math right.) Of course, with enough money you can do both. (It's probably worth doing both once you've succeeded on your first saving throw, to maximize your chances of a consecutive success.) I'm assuming that the Heal bonus would apply to both saving throws granted by Antiplague, as if it were just one saving throw, but I suppose there's some room for interpretation, especially with regard to the Healer's Kit.

A Remove Sickness spell may also be effective in this situation. Some would no doubt argue that the limited duration prevents it from applying; but unless there's some official ruling to the contrary, I would look at the duration on the Treat Disease description for the Heal check and say that if one works for a daily saving throw, the other should also. That's a 25 gp scroll.
Quote:
You quell feelings of illness and nausea in the target, giving it a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against disease, nausea, and sickened effects. If the subject is already under the influence of one of these effects when receiving the spell, that effect is suppressed for the duration of the spell.

Duration: 10 minutes/level

Of course, there's always the Remove Disease spell, but that's a third-level spell. A scroll costs 375 gp and provides no guarantee that it will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread isn't about optimisation, but is useful nonetheless:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2n7ne?So-you-want-to-play-Pathfi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
A guide to traits... must read for creating new PCs:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dVQA-uI740Hh8vq-zsnbHV6U...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Added these:

10) New Must Have Gear

What to buy from Ultimate Equipment...

11) Cheap Magic Items You Really Enjoy

More goodies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Added compilation of paizo message board clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.