The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
She Bleeds
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Princes of the Apocalypse
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Fiasco
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Adventure Afoot in the Reikland!
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
The Quiet Year
Fate Accelerated
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Orc in the Well
The Skeletons
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Ironsworn
Knights & Legends
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Fantasy World Creator
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
RuneQuest (2nd Edition)
Primetime Adventures (Second Edition)
Sherpa
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Knight Hawks
A Spy in Isengard
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tortured Souls! (Issue 1 - Oct/Nov 1983)
The Creature Vault
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Numenera
A Game of Thrones d20-Based Open Gaming RPG
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Blades in the Dark
Tech Support
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
Storm King's Thunder
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
The Witcher
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
The ABCs of D&D
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,323 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

King for a Day» Forums » Reviews

Subject: King for a Day: Atmosphere and Suspense Infused Back into a Genre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary FanGirl
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
King for a Day: Atmosphere and Suspense Infused Back into a Genre

I was given a copy of King for a Day as a point "shut up" message from one of my more experienced gamers. It was directed at my often mentioned argument that of all of the games I frequently play or am game mistress of, Fantasy is the one that holds the least surprises for me and thus interest. It’s a provocative statement but one that I stand by because while there are exceptions most DM's live off of the creature stat books which, in my opinion, kills the suspense of the players and thus their characters. Non-suspense in a game, especially when fighting the unnatural, reduces even the finest game to a dungeon crawl. That is fair enough when simply dealing with goblinoids, simply use the pointy end, however if character sees a man-spider, even if the character has never seen one before, that character will be wary of its poison sting because the player intuitively knows it. People forget the suspense of dealing with the unknown, that visceral reaction when seeing the first chestbuster in Alien, the terror of not knowing what that is or what you can do to handle it. The key to atmosphere and the suspense in any genre is the unknown; in the perennial vampire hunter in Dracula, Abraham Van Helsing admits to more or less "winging it" in combating the titular vampire. After all, how suspenseful would it be if in dealing with such a creature, Van Helsing just reduced him to a list of weaknesses and strengths.

Does Jim Pinto's King for a Day shut me up regarding a suspenseful atmosphere in fantasy games? Absolutely.

I must admit that at first I was really apprehensive about reading King for a Day cover to cover. With over 300 pages, the sandbox campaign book is larger than some core rulebooks out there and usually something that big means reading about custom pantheons you don't care about, or magic spells, or items that you will never use. Instead you will find hundreds of useful detailed NPCs, incredibly detailed locations, and set-ups and hooks for a year's worth of adventures.

King for a Day focuses on the atmosphere of the campaign and details with setting and personalities that one expects from a horror game setting similar to Call of Cthulhu or the early days of The Old World of Darkness. Jim Pinto fills a fantasy world with the impeding horror that has been absent from the fantasy genre as if he used the Necronomicon to bring back Lovecraft and Howard to continue their partnership from the "Lovecraft Circle". It’s a truly interesting take on the fantasy genre with a setting that I could easily see in any world but one that is gaining more traction with Pathfinder's more pulp influence and the popularity of Game of Thrones.

If there is one thing I would ask for improvement on is while the book layout is easy and accessible, there is so much information with very little to break up that text visually. The art work is minimalistic but for the eerie setting it works, but still a little filler would be nice. However that is at best nit picking considering the length and vision of the work put into the setting and tone of this setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Added to my wishlist. I would love to see a more detailed review of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, me too (want to see a more detailed review).
I have it on my shelf, but this is a really intense book, with, as has been said, a lot of information. Daunting.

So, Mary Fangirl, could you relate your impressions regarding what system might work best with the setting as presented?
Or rather, which system might not work well with this at all?
You mentioned Pathfinder and GoT, but was that for thematic resonance only or actual gameplay as well?

To be less complicated, I'd love to run some Dungeon World, but is "King for a Day" in any sense a reasonable fit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dexter Ward
msg tools
You can easily fit it in any campaign. The setting is in a more or less secluded valley (though you could expand it if you like). There is a horror theme.

The NPCs don't have stats but have descriptions which allow you to rate the importance and most noticable characteristics of the NPC. In fact, I plan to use one of the "NPCs" (Lindisse) as a cornerstone of a new adventure. And that's just one NPC.

So even if you don't plan to run the scenario (and there are lots of storylines), it is a perfect book to own. Highly recommended.

And if you need specific information, let me know!

Disclaimer: I was a proofreader of the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary FanGirl
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I have used it with Pathfinder myself but I can see it in any Fantasy system. Thematically I think you could even adapt it towards modern times with a bit of twecking. I don't think it would work well with setting that involve more flashy magic models but it is certainly open enough that a talented GM could try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've been reading a bit, I think what I'll do is the following:

A Dungeon World conversion!
I will translate the Social Mechanics from K1D to Dungeon World, with the standard 10+/7-9/6- scaling, to replace the standard "Parley" move from DW. Then, I will go through the DW playbooks and adapt them a little, toning down silliness and magic (barbarian, druid), and maybe add some moves to each playbook that connect to/draw on these new social moves.

Reputation and Trust warrant some thought, because giving people +1 in DW is mighty indeed, so I am not sure about how to scale this.

If I get around to writing this up, I'll put it up both here and the DW subforum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.