Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Dread
S1: Tomb of Horrors
StoryCube: The Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Coriolis Icon Cards
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
Terror in Talabheim
CthulhuTech
The Elven Crystals
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Doors to Darkness
Rockalypse
Kids on Bikes
Escape the Underdark
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
The Lost Eclairs of Zero
Strongholds & Followers
Star Frontiers
Book 18: Rebel Planet
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Cabin Fever
Dominion Rules 3.X Rulebook
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Alone Against the Flames
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Achtung! Cthulhu Crossover Series: Elder Godlike
Apocalypse World 2nd Edition
Coriolis: The Third Horizon
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
The Dying Ship
Aram's Ravine
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Ironsworn
Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Odd Soot
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,529 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

EABA v2» Forums » Reviews

Subject: EABA V2. A hopefully not too biased review. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
I was slightly stymied by the new skill purchase rules, and then I figured that wouldn't give a toss. Instead, I decided on the following buying scheme:

0d 1S
1d 2S
2d 4S
3d 6S
4d 8S
+2 +1S

This + ease of calculations = win. Experience accumulation can be speeded up easily enough, if the current ratio of 20 XP = 1A, S or P feels too slow.

Of course, one might wish that a system would never any house-ruling at all, but that is just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Good and detailed review. I think you succeeded in not being biased despite your involvement in the design process.

One question about the scaling turn sequence: What exactly is the point of it? It seems like an overly complex solution in search of a problem. Is there something that traditional, "one round = X seconds" systems fail at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
That's pretty interesting. I can see how it would work to emulate the "highlight reel footage" by capturing the really critical tactical moments: at the very beginning of a fight, every second counts -- your decision to dive behind cover vs. going for an immediate headshot, for example. But as the lines get more clearly drawn, the important decision points start getting more spread out. You might lay down suppressive fire, but not every shot needs to be tracked. So by the turns representing more game time you can just hit the high points. And it looks like the math is worked out so that it's all the same now matter how you go about it.

That's pretty cool. I think EABA is probably a little crunchier than I'm into these days, but I can certainly respect the rigor that went into the design.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, JD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, you got it perfectly. It's also designed for the way players act. Later in a combat, the system inherently gives you time to make plans and discuss things amongst yourselves, rather than being "six players have a detailed discussion for five minutes to plan what happens in the next one second of combat." If the turn is actually a few minutes long, then PC's have the in-play opportunity to talk to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Good review, there. Nice to see some detailed discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's such an odd name. Quite apart from sounding really pretentious, it's the opposite way round from the expression, "The be all and end all".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not like 'EABA", but I imagine 'BAAEA' would be even worse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judge Death wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
It's such an odd name. Quite apart from sounding really pretentious, it's the opposite way round from the expression, "The be all and end all".

You are unfortunately quite right. It is indeed a completely pretentious name that reeks of 'artsy' connotations. Also it is diametrically opposed to the completely practical nature of the actual system and writing style.

I don't think there's anything "artsy" sounding about it, just grandiose.

Quote:
It was in fact a fortunate accident I got into EABA at all, having seen the author's other work, like "Guns! Guns! Guns!", "macho women with guns" and the ONLY worthwhile products for the disastrous T4 line, emperor's arsenal and central supply catalog. If I weren't aware of the author's bona fides I would likely not have gotten EABA. As is I got "stuff" first as I read the free sample of it and was impressed.

I remember Guns! Guns! Guns!. It's ... very detailed.
I keep meaning to actually try printing and playing Infinite Armies, that looks like an interesting little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I keep meaning to actually try printing and playing Infinite Armies, that looks like an interesting little game.

It is, but you will need an older version of Acrobat, whatever was the current Acrobat Reader when it came out (6 or 7, I think). Recent ones changed the allowable background coding and borked some of the programmability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTRC wrote:
Quote:

It is, but you will need an older version of Acrobat, whatever was the current Acrobat Reader when it came out (6 or 7, I think). Recent ones changed the allowable background coding and borked some of the programmability.

The more things change...
I initially put it off because my computer's version of Acrobat was too old to open it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTRC wrote:
You may not like 'EABA", but I imagine 'BAAEA' would be even worse...

Nah, at least one could pronounce is "Bear", which sounds cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.