Legacy of Dragonholt
StoryCube: The Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Coriolis Icon Cards
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
Terror in Talabheim
CthulhuTech
The Elven Crystals
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Doors to Darkness
Book 18: Rebel Planet
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Cabin Fever
Dominion Rules 3.X Rulebook
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Ironsworn
Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Odd Soot
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,529 Supporters

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
Helsinki
I was slightly stymied by the new skill purchase rules, and then I figured that wouldn't give a toss. Instead, I decided on the following buying scheme:

0d 1S
1d 2S
2d 4S
3d 6S
4d 8S
+2 +1S

This + ease of calculations = win. Experience accumulation can be speeded up easily enough, if the current ratio of 20 XP = 1A, S or P feels too slow.

Of course, one might wish that a system would never any house-ruling at all, but that is just silly.
Kevin
msg tools
Good and detailed review. I think you succeeded in not being biased despite your involvement in the design process.

One question about the scaling turn sequence: What exactly is the point of it? It seems like an overly complex solution in search of a problem. Is there something that traditional, "one round = X seconds" systems fail at?
Kevin
msg tools
That's pretty interesting. I can see how it would work to emulate the "highlight reel footage" by capturing the really critical tactical moments: at the very beginning of a fight, every second counts -- your decision to dive behind cover vs. going for an immediate headshot, for example. But as the lines get more clearly drawn, the important decision points start getting more spread out. You might lay down suppressive fire, but not every shot needs to be tracked. So by the turns representing more game time you can just hit the high points. And it looks like the math is worked out so that it's all the same now matter how you go about it.

That's pretty cool. I think EABA is probably a little crunchier than I'm into these days, but I can certainly respect the rigor that went into the design.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, JD!
0.05
publisher
Kevin, you got it perfectly. It's also designed for the way players act. Later in a combat, the system inherently gives you time to make plans and discuss things amongst yourselves, rather than being "six players have a detailed discussion for five minutes to plan what happens in the next one second of combat." If the turn is actually a few minutes long, then PC's have the in-play opportunity to talk to each other.
フィル
Ashfield
designer
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Good review, there. Nice to see some detailed discussion.
NSW
It's such an odd name. Quite apart from sounding really pretentious, it's the opposite way round from the expression, "The be all and end all".
publisher
You may not like 'EABA", but I imagine 'BAAEA' would be even worse...
Judge Death wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

You are unfortunately quite right. It is indeed a completely pretentious name that reeks of 'artsy' connotations. Also it is diametrically opposed to the completely practical nature of the actual system and writing style.

I don't think there's anything "artsy" sounding about it, just grandiose.

Quote:
It was in fact a fortunate accident I got into EABA at all, having seen the author's other work, like "Guns! Guns! Guns!", "macho women with guns" and the ONLY worthwhile products for the disastrous T4 line, emperor's arsenal and central supply catalog. If I weren't aware of the author's bona fides I would likely not have gotten EABA. As is I got "stuff" first as I read the free sample of it and was impressed.

I remember Guns! Guns! Guns!. It's ... very detailed.
I keep meaning to actually try printing and playing Infinite Armies, that looks like an interesting little game.
Quote:

It is, but you will need an older version of Acrobat, whatever was the current Acrobat Reader when it came out (6 or 7, I think). Recent ones changed the allowable background coding and borked some of the programmability.

BTRC wrote:
Quote:

The more things change...
I initially put it off because my computer's version of Acrobat was too old to open it.

BTRC wrote:
You may not like 'EABA", but I imagine 'BAAEA' would be even worse...

Nah, at least one could pronounce is "Bear", which sounds cool.